G2 Laser Rods and Rotorforce. Your Opinions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ORIO, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been toyin' around with the idea of getting these for several years. Never picked them up as a kid.

The Laser Rods look awesome, but after reading the TFwiki I'm concerned about the O-ring parts in the waist.

As far as Rotorforce goes, I really like Ransacks alt mode. But his robot mode is kinda "meh". The gimmick seems fun, but how's the articulation?

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Rotor Force toys were standard G1-type articulation, which is to say very little that did not directly relate to transformation.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Laser Rods are super articulate but yes the waist joint can get very floppy. Still, they're really good especially the 2 Decepticon ones.

Rotorforce are fun little figures with interesting alt-modes and decent transformations. Plus the rotor gimmick is awesome and very effective.

4. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I liked Laser Rods when they were released. The poseability is very good. I think the red guy wouldn't stand up any more and I probably sold the three that I had. (Keep in mind the gold one has a severe case of "gold plastic syndrome" also. Gold Plastic Syndrome - Transformers Wiki)

Nowadays I do not really like the laser rods anymore, mostly because they are possibly too poseable, the waist can break/stretch, and due to their transformations the chests and backs are often huge.

The rotor force are neat, the gimmick can be fun, but they lack in poseability.

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nothing to contribute to the thread, except that I want Rotorforce figures one day, too. *plays with Armada Happy Meal Cyclonus*

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i like them, fun figs

7. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    The Laser Rods were really excelent toys. Even better than many onesfrom these days.

The best ones are the cons, Sizzle (black one) and Jolt (Purple one). Volt(red one) is great, but he may be hard to pose. Electro (gold one) has got the most interesting transformation, but as any other gold toy, you have to bevery carefull when tranforming him.

The Rotor Forceare good,but mainly to play.They look pretty good in robot mode.

8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I love the clear weapons.

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Rotoforce is sweet as hell, if only because they gave us a damn Speedboat Transformer. Manta Ray is one of my favorite G2 toys to this day.

10. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Pretty good figures

Both lines had some decent figures but my favorite was always Laser Rod Electro because it reminded me of the truck on Sanford & Son.

11. Blot

Blot Terrorcon

I had Sizzle and my brother had Volt. I loved the light up swords as a kid. I'm a big fan of G2 and these guys definitely stand out.

I also liked the guys that squirted water and changed colors. I had Deluge--I was so geeked when he turned up in All Hail Megatron!

12. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Absolutely love the Laser Rods. I don't have the gold one though because I'm afraid it will suffer from GPS. The Rotorforce are on my want list, but as always keep being put on the backburner

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Don't have any from the Rotorforce but I LOVE the laser Rods. The o-rings connecting the torsos can break easily but you can also VERY easily replace them. I've replaced the one on Volt several times and you can get the gaskets cheap at a hardware store. The major worry is Electro's GPS. I always wanted the four laser rods repainted in Universe 1.0.

14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I have all of the Laser Rods and Rotorforce. Got them on Ebay over 4 years ago and never had a problem with the waist. Sizzle, the Black Decepticon is one of the coolest TF's ever. Love that sword.

Along with the Stormtroopers (which I'm also fortunate to have a complete set of), they are the reason I love Scout size cars so much.

I will say that regrettably Electro's GPS has degraded him badly. I remember seeing a pink KO of him before. Always wondered if it was more durable.

Love the Rotorforce Autobots. Leadfoot makes a great buddy for Robotmasters Mirage.

I'm also a fan of Robotmasters which repainted a few G2 molds. The Laser Rods, Colour Changers, Stormtroopers and Autobot Rotorforce deserve to be re-released. Just for fun, I'd love them to be repainted as the following:

Electro - Kup/Getaway/Movie Ironhide

Volt - G1 Ironhide

Sizzle - Armada Red Alert with a little old style beacon on the roof.

Jetstorm - Movie Bumblebee

Deluge - RID Daytonus

Speedstream (European name) - Slapdash

Aquafend (European name) - Joyride

*Speedstream and Aquafend are Decepticons in the US, sporting different names, and in Aquafend's case, a different colour scheme.

Rage - Movie Barricade

Anyway, in answer to your question, the Laser Rods and Autobot Rotor Force are well worth having. The Decepticon Rotorforce are too small in my opinion though.

The Stormtroopers and Colour Changers are also well worth having. The troopers turn up occasionally on Ebay and are usually reasonably priced.

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Double post. Sorry.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The Laser Rods are awesome toys. They turn into classic style cars, which is an alternate mode I've not seen used very often, which is nice. Yes, watch out for the gold one, mine has (knock on wood) been fine so far, but to balance it out I've heard of others which crumble when the roof is transformed. They are great designs though and very fun.

Rotor Force I only own two of - Manta Ray, who is cool even without his weapon, and the helicopter - Powerdive? They lack articulation, it is true, but they have a lot of nice sculpted detail and character. I also really want to get a Ransack some day - I love propeller aircraft designs like him, to the point I own a bunch of Gobots based on different aircraft.

Both series are great for their unusual choices of alternate modes.

17. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well that makes me feel better about those guys.

And yeah from what I've seen, yeah, those decepticon laser rods are badass looking.

18. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I like the Laser Rods, I don't have any, but they look very nice for sure. I don't care about the articulation and stuff... they look cool for me!

19. Squawktalk

Squawktalk Light cyclist

News Credits:
    I have the black decepticon laser rod. He's definitely awesome as far as articulation, and i am very certain you can replace the o-ring. there are tutorials for gi joes. I'm sure it's pretty much the same.

Also, Ransack goes for quite a bit on ebay. I wanted to get one, but i think 60 is way too much...

20. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I only ever got Electro when I was a kid. Still the only Laser Rod I ever got, but I always wanted the rest of them. They do have great articulation, and they look pretty good in both modes. The light gimmick was pretty cool. But as has already been mentioned, Electro suffers from GPS. Mine is still mostly intact, but some of the joints have started to crumble, which is very sad cos it really was a great figure. Some day I wouldn't mind picking up the other 3. Would be nice if they were re-issued without the GPS on Electro. Or updated in a classics/universe/generations-ish type line.