G2 Laser Prime vs CR Black Convoy vs RiD Scourge

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by rid, Nov 30, 2006.

1. rid

rid Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy either a G2 Laser Optimus Prime or a Car Robot Black Convoy or a RiD Scourge.

This is what I've found so far:

Laser Prime: Original mold with electronics
    Black Convoy: Black version of Laser Prime, no electronics
    RiD Scourge: Almost the same as Black Convoy except for minor changes (missile, logo, hinges, slight color variations, etc.)
    [correct me and/or expand if necessary]

What confuses me is the price points on those variations:
    Some dealers sell CR Black Convoy($35) for half the prime of Laser Prime($65) while others have Black Convoy($60) equally priced as Laser Prime. And then there's RiD Scourge to consider. Add to that the possible re-issues which may induce minor changes. I'm confused...

I guess my ultimate question is Which one has a better build for displaying? And what I should expect as a reasonable price? I won't transform/play much with it but I do care about looks and display-worthiness

I'm kinda leaning towards the CR Black Convoy because it rather cheap at $30ish and I don't really care for the electronics in Laser Prime. Tho traditional read and blue (with lots of grey) Prime is kinda cool too, even tho it's a re-issue. I'm so tempted in getting both.

thx.

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sure a lot of folks will chime in on this, but here's a few things:

There's both a Korean and Japanese version of Black Convoy, with no significant differences between them, but that can account for a price variation. I have the Korean version, and it's terrific.

I have RiD Scourge as well, and prefer it just a bit over Black Convoy for no significant reason (maybe the window colors, which are pinkish on Black Convoy).

I've got all the other versions of this mold too - I'd suggest skipping the eHobby Laser Magnus, it's a bit garish; I'd also suggest a vintage G2 Laser Prime over the recent reissue (I find the chrome on the reissue to be KO-ish).

If you forced me to pick my fav I'd have to go with RiD Scourge - at least until they finally decide to paint the mold in G1 colors! I'd definitely collect a lot of opinions from this thread before making a final decision, though. Good luck!

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    RID Scourge all the way if you must get one.

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Agreed. RiD Scourge is the best of the three. You can probably get G2 Prime's reissue cheapest, but I dont care for the vehicle mode's details and colors. CR Black Convoy is the same as RiD Scourge except when it comes to the translucent plastic, Black Convoy's is more pink while Scourge is pure red. Say no to pink swords.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

rid scourge is the best, the recent reissue G2 prime is very close colorwise to him. doest much look a prime.

6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Scourge!

7. rid

rid Well-Known Member

I am kicking myself right about now!!!! I had the chance to get an RiD Scourge MISB for $30 about 2 weeks ago and didn't think much of it until now.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I guess I'm the odd man out again, I prefer Black Convoy to Scourge. His silver stickers make his robot mode look cooler, and his sword is sharper due to lack of safety laws in japan. Plus I sort of prefer the pink windows, makes him more unique. Also, my RiD Scourge has a really loose knee joint, and I heard others were that way too.

9. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm with RID Scourge all the way. I like him the best and I've never had any problems with him

I have an original G2 Laser Prime, Black Convoy, and RID Scourge

10. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I think Scourge looks the best, but I wish he had the electronics...

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Scourge without hesitation...red windows FTW. I got a killer deal on him a few years back...I think I paid $25 for it shipped. I hug my Scourge:D 

12. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

G2 Prime kicks all kinds of ass.

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have only the original G2 Optimus but I opinion would be RID Scourge!

14. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    To me, there's no such thing as RiD Scourge. Only RiD Nemesis Prime. I would've gave him that name if I were to change one thing in that dub.
    Anyways, they should've created an actual G2 Cartoon to explain how Optimus Prime kicked so much ass and became the "Prime of Justice".

15. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I like the eHobby Laser Magnus best personally.

But another vote for RiD Scourge or some variant thereof, its a guaranteed winner!

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have all 3 of these figures...

Nix the G2 Laser Prime... he's cool, but the colours don't do the mold any favours, and a vintage one at this point might be a little on the loose side (mine is anyway). Also, it's worth pointing out that the G2 one has the ridiculous sticker on his trailer, emblazoned with a big picture of him and the text "Optimus Prime Octane". Doesn't even approach the coolness of that stark chrome trailer. I usually don't like chrome, but on a big tanker like that, it looks sweet.

Kind of shame not to have the electronic lights... I have to admit they are really cool. But gimmicks can only add a limited value in the end. I've considered trying to transplant G2 OP's electronics to my Black Convoy, but then that would leave G2 Ops with nothing. Poor guy. :) 

My RID Scourge is -slightly- looser than my Korean Black Convoy, but not enough to worry about. I find that the difference between the red windows and sword, and the pink one, is almost not worth considering. The casual observer probably wouldn't even notice the difference with both figures standing next to each other. For me, it's not a big deal.

So here's what I consider to be the big question... Black Convoy has the nicer stickers... his foil stickers echo the silver trailer, and keep him looking mean and steely. There's also something very cool about Black Convoy's upside-down Autobot symbols, showing that he is not so much a Decepticon, but a complete inversion of everything Optimus is supposed to represent. The Decepticons might be out for themselves, but Black Convoy is pure contrarian EVIL! :)  On the other hand, it's a shame that they are G2 Autobot symbols instead of the classic one.

RID Scourge's stickers are rather bland and papery, but Scourge has some sweet Decepticon symbols, including 2 heat-stamped on his doors in truck mode. They do look nice.

I don't know if this helps you. I'm still split on which one I prefer, though I tend to lean towards Black Convoy, maybe because I had him first. In any case, let me say I love both of them... they are among my very favourite TFs. I see RID Scourges occasionally go MIB on Ebay for a decent price. If you get a deal, you might be able to score one for less than a Korean Black Convoy would cost you. But then, that involves biding your time, and taking chances. I say go for the Black Convoy. The Korean packaging is nicer than the RID packaging anyway. :) 

Hmmm... it just occurred to me that with all 3 of these figures, I might be able to swap parts and make the ULTIMATE BLACK CONVOY! I could take the heat-stamped parts and red translucent bits from Scourge and the lighting gear from G2 Laser Prime... how cool would that be?

Anybody ever done this? Any advice? :) 

zmog

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    my man smog 8)

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I vote RiD Scourge for redder reds and Decepticon symbols.

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    CR Black Convoy... his silver stickers on his chest and shoulders look a lot more impressive than RID Scourge. Also his sword is pointy.

Other than that though they're pretty much identical these two.

20. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Not to mention Black Convoy has upside-down G2 Autobot symbols on his shoulders. The idea there is rather cool, and I'd totally dig it if it were the G1 Autobot symbol since that's what all of the RID Autobots use, but the G2 symbol just makes no sense. Thus, I prefer Scourge's Decepticon symbols.

And yes, red > pink.