G2 Cartoon

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SoundBlaster7, Dec 19, 2011.

1. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After reading the comics, I can't help but think G2 should have had a proper cartoon series instead of just reusing G1. Wish they introduced the new G2 characters in cartoon form. Thoughts?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It would have been nice, but given what was going on in the DiC GI Joe show, it likely would have been pretty bad.

Also, it was probably costly enough to do what they did, a completely new show simply might not have been feasible with what they were trying to do with the line.

At least reairing the old episodes like that introduced new people to the show beyond what they could find at video stores and garage sales, myself included.

3. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I'd have loved to of seen tank Megatron in animated form.

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Check out the Japanese Beast Wars shows. He wasn't Megatron in the show, but they used his toy for another character, so it was animated

5. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

D:

You also get to see not-Megatron bopped on the head by a giant pink dragon-tank-drill-robot, if that's your bag.

The consequences are toy-accurate.

6. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Ignorance is bliss sometimes, but I'm curious, is the whole G2 moniker based on an actual Trasnformers cartoon or only specific to re-issues of G1 toys with different paint schemes? I've never been entirely clear on this point, and have seen conflicting viewpoints. Hoping someone can fill me in.

7. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Basically, G2 was a separate line, called Transformers: Generation 2 right on the package. This contained rereleases of various figures with notable differences such as color or accessories, a tie-in comic from Marvel, CGI commercials, and the G2 cartoon series, which was essentially episodes of G1 with CGI scene transitions as opposed to the "spinning faction symbols" from G1.

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Indeed, so I guess view at your own risk

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This. or worse -- it might have been like G.I. Joe Extreme (*shudder*).

Nice to imagine, though.

10. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    There wasn't just repaints of G1 toys, there were new molds; basically G2 was G1's refresher line.

11. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I really like the animation that was used during the commercials and openings for Transformers:G2. I think that it could've possibly made for a pretty cool cartoon.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yup, loads of new toys were made after that first year. We've got pages for the grand majority in Resources:

Transformers Generation 2 Toys - Transformers - TFW2005

As toylines go, it's pretty awesome. I do wish we'd had some kind of show to go with it, some of those toys would have been great to see in animation.

13. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    my thoughts are this: "the colors would have been very neon, and some how i feel transformers would have had its very own 'calabunga!' if a g2 cartoon had exsisted. and lastly, few of the g2 new bots\cons were as charming."

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Yup! After the first couple waves, Hasbro started releasing new molds, starting off with stuff like small cars and jets first, interwoven with re-release molds, then bigger and bigger stuff until the end of the line was mostly new stuff and completely new gimmicks for the line.

We got some great figures out of that period, like Laser Rod Optimus Prime and G2 Megatron and Dreadwind/Dreadwing, and a ton of molds which saw re-release and repaints for years to come, such as the cyberjets!

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Dreadwind/Dreadwing are freaking awesome, but they are almost the only two G2 original toys I think are much good, other than Laser Rod Optimus (although he's ruined by wearing a stupid name tag on his chest --"Hi! My Name Is: Optimus Prime!") and green/purple tank Megatron.

But none of the other new molds do much for me, and a lot of them, like Hero Optimus and Megatron, are pretty awful. And pretty much every single repaint of a G1 toy is punch-in-the-eye bad.

16. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i love lazerbeak 's cybertron mode in g1

17. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Thanks! So essentially an excuse to repaint figures and continue the line re-using the same old molds? Hasbro has certainly continued to refine this 'art' over the years, but I find it interesting that repaints in the old days had an entire continuity line named after them. These days they are just sandwiched into ongoing continuity, but back in the day they were called "G2"! Sounds so....official. :D 

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Actually, no. Check the post from Sol Fury above.

19. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    The general consensus I think is that the reuse of old molds was a lower cost way to test the waters for the reimergence of Transformers after the brand disappeared somewhat in the years before. They sold well enough to justify making newer, more expensive molds, and I suppose proved that there was still a place in the world for robots in disguise.

Interestingly enough, Beast Wars, the next major iteration of the brand, was not released by Hasbro, but by Kenner in the beginning, I think in order to distance Hasbro from the line in case it was TOO much of a different thing from what kids were used to.

The original "UNIVERSE" line was a line almost entirely populated by repaints as well, and RiD/Car Robots is notable for being made of predominantly remolds/recolors ranging across almost the entire history of Transformers up to that point, from G1 to Beast Machines.

20. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Big Green Dead?

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I wish That Show was Run by the Guys who did the 1990's X-Men Cartoon, with AKOM doing Production.