G2 and Euro-G1 "Classics" Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nefud, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

The purpose of this thread is to categorize and discuss Classics-style figures that fit into the G2/Euro-G1 aesthetic established with the Botcon 2010 exclusive set. This set consisted of:

Spark
    Breakdown
    Streetstar
    Clench
    Rapido
    Cindersaur
    Double Punch
    Turbomaster
    Sideswipe
    Slice

Previously, there had been a few other Botcon exclusives that fit into this category:

Thunderclash
    Skyquake

Since 2010, we have been lucky to get a few more official and unofficial G2/Euro-G1 Classics figures:

TFCC Ramjet
    Jazz (with G2 Reprolabels)
    Volt (with reprolabels for ROTF Hubcap)

I'd also nominate eHobby Laser Magnus for this category, as he's a modern(ish) attempt to create a G2-era Ultra Magnus toy. Which brings me to my last point, let's not fight about what "works" for each of us in this category, let's just share ideas to make our G2 Classics shelf even more awesome.

What else do you think fits?

2. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    united Bumblebee as G2 gold Bumblebee.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't suppose Botcon Banzai-Tron counts as a mainstream Action Master character from G1 proper. But the color scheme and the neon Terrorcon Cruellock and Divebomb weapons I've equipped him with sure make him LOOK the G2 part.

I'd also nominate the upcoming United Thunder Megatron. And of course Reveal the Shield Laser Optimus Prime and Botcon AM Thundercracker.

4. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    G2 RTS Prime?
    Classics two-pack deluxe Tank Megatron?
    G2 legends Megs?

5. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
  6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    There was the yellow dumptruck which was supposed to be G2 Long Haul.

7. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Nice calls, guys. I can't believe I forgot about a few of those. :) 

I totally agree, Fosterlager, there are a lot of toys that fit so well that they end up on my G2 shelf, I just didn't want to clutter the thread with the fact that I stick Darkwing and DOTM Space Case up there.

I really hope we get Turbofire, Skram, Powerdive and a bunch of the other great original G2 molds in "classics" format.

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses him like this! :) 

Also, don't forget:

DOTM Space Case
    HFTD Terradive
    Takara Dreadwind and Smokescreen (Mindwipe repaint)

Yeah, these are all movie-esque, and bring up the whole hybrid debate, but I think including them in a G2 Classics line works just fine given that G2 was a total stylistic grab-bag anyway.

And of course the upcoming yellow Giant deserves a spot there.

EDIT: ah just saw you already mentioned Space Case and Dreadwind. I see what you mean about not wanting to clutter the thread, but I personally think these guys work just fine. I mean, heck, Dreadwind actually has G2 symbols tampo'd on to him, can't get much more official than that. That alone, to me, plucks him out of Movieverse and deposits him in Classics G2.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  9. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

Japanese eclusive Vortex resembles Rotorstorm to me, even though he's a Con repaint. Some customizer would make itx work with some effort.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Actually, I meant the Classics Dreadwing/Darkwing/Purple Silverbolt or whatever you call him. I think you're right about that blue Dreadwind repaint, though, tampo = legit. :) 

DOTM Space Case, right out of the box, is a pretty crappy homage in my opinion. I have heavily painted/modded him to add a lot more white, and gave him PCC Sledge's combiner head (repainted of course). Now he fits in well. :) 

I would kill for a box set of Terradive remolds/redecos into the Cyberjets. Especially Hooligan (I really hate that "Fearswoop" thing that was some kind of halfassed homage).

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    YES. And when Hooligan's done, he needs to be accompanied by a Scrap Heap repaint into Road Pig.

12. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

For Hooligan, I've love a redeco of Classics Jetfire.

Futuristic swing-wing fighter sharing a mold with Jetfire?

The helmet even has the Cyberjet T-face, if it is cast in clear yellow plastic and the eyes and mouthplate are left unpainted (in other words, lease the recessed parts unpainted). This would also make the cockpit and the missiles yellow, just like Hooligan's.

I would love a G2-er redeco of Classics Deluxe Megatron, with a neon green and purple camo deco. So eye-searing it would have to be an exclusive, I'm sure.

... also, a Grimlock redeco in blue would be glorious, and I think a Bruticon Maximus (with one of the helicopters replaced by a fighter mold from the Superion set) in G2 colors would be a neat exclusive, but possibly too close to the TFCC combiner.

But yeah, Space Case... is a neat homage but not what I would call an update. Between the head, the trident, and the color scheme I don't feel comfortable putting him as a Classics G2.

Anyone mention Inferno yet? No garish color scheme, but he was marketed as "G2 Series" and is based more off the G2 version than the G1.

13. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Oh! And a remold of Generations Kup in gold. New head, new hood, new sword as Electro. This is pretty much my most wanted, yet reasonable pipe dream.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was just thinking we needed more Lazer Rod love in this thread (that sounds so wrong...)
    That repaint would work well.

15. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Oh man, this one hurts, why doesn't it exist? That would be so killer!

This one I'm not feeling as much. I'd buy it and like it, but I wouldn't love it. Classics Jetfire has always looked like the Michelin Man (i.e. fatty boom batty) to me, and Hooligan is pretty slender. Maybe it'd be better as Skyjack, he's a bit tubby.

Speaking of which, holy crap, I totally forgot about Generations Skyjack! That's a fun G2 Classics figure.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Locustreign commissioned a couple of G2 customs, Rotorstorm from Tomahawk was one of them. Looked utterly badass, was properly impressed at that one.

(Apologies, I've completely forgotten who made that one but it was some awesome work)

17. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

Oh, i would like to take a look at that, any links to photos i hope?

18. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Indie, you should really use the advanced search function to look for Rotorstorm (titles only) in the Radicons section. There have been at least 5 awesome Rotorstorm customs recently.

19. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    [​IMG]

20. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that Renderform (Renderform.com - Renderform) is going to be selling the Skyfall/Skyjack replacement head again toward the end of the year or early next year. Any Cyberjet enthusiasts should keep their eyes peeled.