G1's animation quality

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shockwave9227, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We all know how the animation for G1 was.Full of 20 errors or more per episode with studios like Toei,AKOM,(supposedly) a Phillipines studio, and an unidentifyed studio for one season 3 episode (Call of the Primitives).I have to ask,why was the animation sub-par at points and why were there so many errors?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Cost and time. But mainly cost.

3. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    It was made in the early 80's?

Keep in mind these shows were generally used as 30 minute toy commercials. It's not really a surprise production values were kinda low...

4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The standard of the time. It's not like today where seasons are done in groups of 13 or 26 per year with care and attention. Back then, a lot of shows were done in blocks of sixty-five, so they could be "stripped" - shown every weekday day for thirteen straight weeks. See He-Man, Thundercats... a LOT of shows you might never have even heard of and would be surprised to learn had that many episodes - "Silverhawks" didn't get to 65 because it was POPULAR, its because they were signed to make that many from the outset. The reason Robotech exists instead of a straighter dub of Macross is because they HAD to have over 65 episodes, and Macross only had 36. These things were cranked out mechanically, en masse, by dozens of writers who never spoke to each other.

Transformers did a mini-series (like G.I. Joe had before it) but that didn't even air before they decided to carry on and do one full first season of thirteen episodes. After that, it proved itself popular enough to be stripped, and so the second season was a monstrous 49 episodes, to make the required 65. All these plots had to be laid out ahead of time - that's why the standard was for episodic, unconnected stories from basically every popular show (compare with the shorter first season, which had continuity points continuing across most of its 13 eps), and why you had odd things like the Protectobots appearing out of nowhere (because Hasbro didn't get the information on the characters to Sunbow before the plots had been finalized, and there was no time or money to throw out the existing plots and write new ones, so they were just clunkily folded in to the existing ones). Animation had to be done in a timely fashion - sometimes errors could be caught and corrected, but sometimes, there was simply no time and/or money to allow it to happen and it simply HAD to go out the way it was. And keep in mind, even THIS method of doing things was still very new - these pre-packaged toy-based series had only come into being a few years beforehand after federal regulations on advertising changed.

It's just the way they made cartoons.

5. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I think many US fans (especially newer ones) are overly used to the Rhino release of G1 which was from older prints if I'm correct. I think thats given the impression of there being far more errors than were in the broadcast versions.

6. Shockwave9227

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm talking about the broadcast versions,not that crap released from Rhino.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought Call of the Primitives was considered one of the better ones?

It just stands out because the studio took liberties, with far more stylized character models than usual.

I still need to see that episode, for curiosity's sake.

8. Shockwave9227

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are off-model characters for a few shots and some models look like the Studio Ox models.It does have unique animation though that I don't think AKOM would've ever pulled off.

9. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 All hail Duke.

Because G1 was made to sell toys.

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    It had beautifully drawn cels, but the animation, as in "characters moving", wasn't that stellar.

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    But compared to the other shows, Transformers was still one of the best.

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Most points have been said already so I'll just throw in that they had to rush it because Hasbros rival Tonka had aired their own series, the Gobots, a year before them.

13. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

It's not just toy-based shows, it's anything that gets outsourced on the cheap. One of the producers of the Simpsons talked about it on one of the DVD commentaries. He said that there was plenty of animation that had to be sent back and redone because it was so bad, and lots of things they didn't like about the animation that they had to deal with because of the limitations of the studios.

And it's common for anime series (which are usually animated in Korea, not Japan) to be animated by several different studios with drastically different art styles. They don't even attempt to match up the styles with each other, so the characters look different depending on who made it. And it sucks when a good episode is animated by a crappy studio with clunky movement and derp faces.

That's one of the great things about CG shows...the animation (ie, the movements of the characters) depends on the skill of the animator, but you never have to deal with crappy drawings or misplaced cels or coloring errors because all of the animators use the same models.

14. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Other way round mate. Tonka caught wind that Hasbro was developing a show based on Transformers and Tonka shat their dacks. They quickly rushed a Gobots show into production so they could beat Hasbro to the small screen. Them rushing the Gobots show caused it to be super low quality and G1 was able to bitch slap it up and down the street, which eventually resulted in Gobots dieing.

15. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

The only episodes that had animation that I didn't like was the season two episodes that were of the style used in "City Of Steel." I think "The Core" was in that style as well. I can't stand the animation in those episodes.

As far as animation errors go, I don't recall the episodes really being all that bad. I mean there was a few here or there, but like other have said, it was the 80's.

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

WRONG

Tonks first Gobot episode aired on either September 8 1984 or October 29, 1984 [different sources claim different dates]

Hasbros first Transformers episode aired September 17, 1984

So at best Gobots only aired a few days before TF's or a month later.

I mean no disrespect to you, but why do so many people post things with out checking to see if they are right on the facts?

17. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Mb:

I think GoBots actually has more consistent animation than TF does. The character models are simpler, and maybe a little goofy :) ,and TF has nicer lighting and better background detail, but GoBot characters don't change proportions or go off-model as often as they do in TF.

18. Ultra Magnotron

Ultra Magnotron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a child who grew up in the 80's, and who watched nothing but cartoons with all his free time, I have to say that I never really noticed the animation mistakes. I saw the big ones.

The minor ones were just part of the experience for me. I glossed over them while paying attention to more important things, like the plot. Following the story was the most important thing to me.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I just have to say that there is a bit of a misconception about how many animation errors the series actually had when the show aired.

Most fans are familiar with all the errors on the video/dvd releases, but those releases arent of the "aired" versions of those episodes.The video/dvd's were made from early production tracks and not the finished aired episodes.

20. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Of all the Saturday morning cartoons from the 80's, I'd say Thundercats was probably the best for animation and flow. Transformers was up there, but just didn't 'feel' as good. I was always looking at the details as a kid, and I did see the color changes, mis-matched voices and overall lack of quality other shows could produce. Hell, even the Super Friends and Spider Man were better for that.
    The fun of seeing the toys on the small screen glossed over the fact that most of them hardly resembled the cartoon versions.