G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grimlockprime16, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

so Im think of getting into G1 stuff I have a few things left for when I was a kid but I dont even know were to start with with this stuff. Should I go for original or reissue? help me out here guys.

2. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

depending on your money issues ...would be on what route to take .... but it would probably be better to get reissues. of characters that have them ... and get actual G1 figures of ones that don't

3. S.A.A.M.

S.A.A.M. Beta-Maximus

Reissues are the way to go. Look into the Encore Series which are still available.

4. cartertime

cartertime Well-Known Member

Nothing beats the feeling of opening a minty fresh Encore!!! mmmmm fresh tyre rubber smell mmmmm

5. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Depends what you want. Its kinda nice having a g1 in your hands to play with and display. a bit more costly to complete (i have lots not complete). I do collect a few reissues too.

6. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I have a mix, and I am torn. It is nice to get a minty fresh reissue without any paint chips and nice stickers, but the sucker in me still likes the feeling of having an original. Eventually I plan on replacing most of my reissues, so I keep the boxes minty fresh and try to stay away from most stickers that are not factory applied, but right now the reissues are cost effective when available. I don't really think you can go wrong, but I am a good old geewoner.

I do recomend going through the checklists and making a list (I still have about 100 on mine do knock out) and buying based on value. It is amazing how much money you can save with a little patience and research.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a mix too. Lots of originals, plenty of reissues too. In short, any officially-released G1 toy is going to be good for your collection, so just go for it.

As a start, get Encore reissue Jazz - he's ridiculously cheap (price-wise) at the moment (circa £7-8 shipped) and he is an excellent replica.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

If you don't mind the slight retoolings over the years (such as in the Bruticus/Combaticons re-issue, which retain the modifications made to the team back in RID for the Commandos), then Encores are cost effective.

However, if it's one of the lesser characters you're after like any *masters, then vintage is the only way to go.

In either case, if you need to replace the stickers, or the sticker sheets are unused, I recomend getting a repro sticker set from Reprolabels because of the better quality. After the trial that was putting stickers on my 2003 Re-Issue Silverstreak (the adhesive backing is totally unreliable), having the same set of stickers actually stick on the toy better will be a blessing for you in the long run.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Indeed.

For now, Encores seem to be a good bet. I hope Hound and Sideswipe get reissued their sometime.

10. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

reissues would be better i think, especially with the encores and recent tru exclusives still mostly available. do check the junkion exchange here, i've seen people selling them for quite sometime now.

11. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

i'm really hoping sideswipe get the encore treatment as he appeared on rotf, like skids who got released.

12. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since you're just starting out might as well get the reissue ones (i.e. Encores & TRU). well getting the originals are nice too but they'll cost you an arm or a leg & that might turn you off for a bit.

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got Encore Ironhide and Ratchet for $25 quite some time ago, recently got Encore Jazz for $20, and I managed to get 6 TRU reissues for decent prices to boost my G1 section.
    Hoist, Rodimus Prime (to heck with trademarks), Tracks and Prowl. Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus, not a bad start.

best advice i can give you is this:
    1. Make a plan. decide on what you want to get first (starting with the autobot cars, or do ya want the seekers? or maybe work on getting the mini bots, for example) and stick to it. Don't get sidetracked unless you find a damn good deal on something else and can afford the detour.

that helped me focus and get 95% of what i have with no problem.

2. look everywhere, but be careful. you find deals at X website, google that site to see if they are legit, then go ahead if they check out.

3. Use the Resources or Junkion Exchange here for help.

good luck.

14. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

earlier examples Generation One (1984 to about Micromasters) are harder to find in good condition due to scarcity. Even Bludgeon, who was a side character, is hard to find for cheap in complete condition in the secondary market

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As already said, it really depends on what you want. Do you want everything to be "vintage" or "as nice as possible"? If you just want really nice looking figures, the reissues are a great way to go. If you're very nostalgic, then you may have more fun collecting originals.

Also, do you want to complete G1 fully, or can you narrow your focus? Such as, do you mainly like the toys only featured on the shows, or do you just like all of it?

There are pros and cons to everything, but I think doing some preliminary planning like this will greatly benefit you. :)