G1: Why Not Head/Target/Powermaster in One Robot?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cliffbee, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Cliffbee

Cliffbee Well-Known Member

I remember as a kid, during the second year of G1 Headmaster and Targetmaster toys, wondering why Hasbro didn't make an "all-'masters-in-one" robot -- a robot whose head, weapons (two pistols forming a larger weapon), and engine each changed into a Nebulon character. Is there any indication that Hasbro might have gone this route had it not instead shifted its focus to Micromasters?

Did any other children of the '80s imagine this sort of toy?

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Interesting question, 'specially since they did multi-targetmasters and one or two multi-powermasters in the past. I could see a large or leader-type toy having a Headmaster, Targetmaster, and Powermaster crew of Nebulans. The main thing preventing it would (probably) be cost. I remember it said that on Powermaster Optimus Prime, the large head was originally intended to convert into a Roller-like vehicle (maybe for Hi-Q/Ginrai to ride around in) but the concept was dropped for budget.

3. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn Three dollar Nazi

News Credits:
    Yeah, an early concept for Powermaster Prime had him featuring an example of each -Master gimmick.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I know I did. A baseformer with things like weapon emplacements and repair bays, all requiring Powermaster interfacing for activation or Targetmasters forming the weapons themselves. The Powermasters would also be required for unlocking the big robot's transformation, and all the Targetmasters would combine to form a huge-ass gun or even several. The chief of the Nebulans, of course, would be a Headmaster forming the big robot's noggin - all Voltron-like.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

There should be a figure which features the gimmicks of Headmaster, Targetmaster, Powermaster, and be a Pretender and Triple Changer...Combiner...With a pull back and go auto-transformation.

It would either be the greatest or the most hideous thing ever.

6. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Because the world was not ready for such awesomeness in 1988.

7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wanted that too, but could you imagine losing your Nebulons?

8. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    ^ I already have! :dunce 

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've always wanted that, and said so in discussions here often. Minicons sorta replaced that if you look at Superpants Optimus and his trailer and a figure with many activation ports. Not as awesome as a 'MultiMaster' with Nebulans, but sorta the same idea taken a different way.

I suppose you could at least give a Powermaster or Headmaster a Targetmaster companion from another figure to get part of the way there.