G1 Whirl & Megatron variation question.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tinkerbeee, Feb 21, 2011.

1. tinkerbeee

tinkerbeee Well-Known Member

Hello. I purchased a collection recently which had 2 strange variations I have never come across and I wondered if anyone had any information about them.

First up is a Gen1 Whirl. There was only one Whirl in the collection yet I have 2 complete sets of accessories, one in black and one in dark grey. Now it could easily be a figure got lost but I have never seen the dark grey accessories before and I was wondering if anyone had ever come across them before and what their origin is.

The Megatron is even stranger. It had a complete set of accessories but the silencer section is not made of 2 seperate pieces, it is one solid molded piece. Again I was wondering what the deal with this oddity is. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

my guess for megatron is it started off as mulitlple pieces, but later became one piece, kind'a like how optimus prime's trailer used to have metal plates on the sides, but all the later trailers had just stickers.

the original transformers have LOADS of varations. especially ones like Whirl, which had a diaclone version, and that convertor bots version too, *both are officially licensed pieces* though the convertor's version is smaller lol.

i do know that later releases of megatron's accessories no longer separate, like the reissues.

so my guess is it probably started out as separate parts, but then hasbro decided to save money and combine the parts.

just like optimus prime started out with bigger fists, and a bigger gun that he could barely hold.

it wasn't until the reissue that he could properly hold it due to the extended handle.

and then you got things like red tracks out there, and the mythical blue bluestreak *which probably does not exist out side the diaclone version* lol

even jetfire had mulitple variations. macross symbol version, both painted, and stickered, and then you got the simplified bandai version.

my guess on the whirl is you probably have some of the diaclone's guns, or a knock off's.

3. tinkerbeee

Thanks Dolza. I checked it out and the grey Whirl accessories go to the Takatoku blue "Whirl". The silencer I still can not find any reference to it and I have probably bought 50 to 60 gen1 Megatrons in my days. Odd that I never come across it before.

4. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    If it's only the front/chin gun that's a dark gray color, it's more likely to come from the Kingdam KO version, released in the US, which also had light gray side guns in addition to that one dark one.

5. tinkerbeee

No, all 4 weapons are the same dark grey.