G1 Whirl: Extended Bio finally unveiled!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TheBigMachine, Jan 12, 2011.

1. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    Jim Sorenson has released more information at his blog, The Disciples of Boltax, unveiling the extended bio for G1 Whirl (previously released G1 Roadbuster's bio is also on the same page). Enjoy!

*Mods, please delete this post if this has already been posted else where.

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Curious - being so spindly and based on a fairly small Helicopter- I'd have thought he'd have been physically mediocre or weak like Swoop. or if not weak perhaps more fast than strong.

3. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

pretty cool.

Smog's going to love this.

4. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Guys with big heavy armor, are usually weaker & softer on the inside.

5. Nerdicon

Nerdicon Caffene=Energon

Ebay:
    Now we need a new whirl toy to go on my wrecker shelf.

6. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Do you speak from Personal Experience ?

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I'd love to get a G1 Whirl someday to go along with the G1 Roadbuster in my collection.

8. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Definitely get him. He's a great figure. So much so I also tracked down the original Ovelon Gazette.

9. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    A range of 16,000 miles? So what, he drops dead after that?

10. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ha! Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when reading this.

Whirl's null-ray module and paralyzo-box are nothing like what we were thinking that they might be in the last round of the tournament.

I don't think Budiansky considered that TFs would probably just use their own normal energy systems when he first started writing these profiles. Speed and range of a vehicle mode was always a pair of statistics that he included with each TF that had one (and some that didn't, a few flying Insecticons come to mind).

Still, one could consider it part of an individual TF's Endurance rating. Based on a few of the G1 TFs, the Endurance rating was a composite of two Endurance characteristics - durability (which it seems most people take it to be) and stamina (otherwise how would Bumblebee's Endurance be as high as '7' and Metroplex is lower than a '10').

With that the 'stamina' part of his Endurance would be pretty impressive, as that range means going for 40 hours at his vehicle mode's top speed. That's a pretty good operational time for one fill-up.

Maybe after that he does drop over, unable to perform any more physical activities. Alternatively, he could be reduced to only basic physical activity in robot mode as automatic systems that reserve a certain amount of energy to perform basic survival activities kick in.

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I know...disappointing isint it??

12. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    It is, but at least we know how his weapons truly function.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Indeed I do. Thanks for the heads-up. If only we had this back when we were doing the ol' Tournament threads! :) 

Could have answered some of those questions we had. Whirl's short Tech Spec bio was pretty vague about what those weapons were good for, etc.

Well, it's kind of a cliche that being strong precludes being fast too. In this case, Whirl is both. Despite his narrow profile, he was still one of the larger Autobot toys sold at the time, so I guess they decided to make him pretty tough (tougher than Jetfire, hilariously). For some reason I always liked the way that such a strange-looking character had such high stats in his Tech Specs.

Many of the old G1 TF's have a listed "range"... which I imagine is how far they can go before needing to refuel. It's kind of a holdover from the whole idea that they are essentially machines, just like vehicles, so they have a degree of fuel efficiency to consider. In the old bios, fuel was given more importance than it is these days. I mean, sure TF's "eat" energon, but it rarely comes up.

In Whirl's case, 16 000 miles is pretty hardcore. He could literally fly more than halfway around the world on one tank of gas. :) 

zmog

14. SMOG

I dunno... I don't find it disappointing. It's just nice to know. Even if it is essentially meaningless, I guess. :) 

Not so much though. Understandably, we went on the assumption that Whirl's Null Ray was the same as Starscream's, though in this case, it seems to be a defensive weapon that neutralizes energy weapons. Kind of like a passive version of Starscream's.

Paralyzo box... well, we didn't know much about that, did we? Seemed logical that it would paralyze victims, which, as it turns out, is what it does. But the mechanics of it... interesting. Sounds like some kind of poison dart launcher for robots.

Makes sense. That's pretty much how humans work too. Without energy, we collapse, especially after running a 16 000 mile marathon. :) 

zmog

15. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Soooo,,,, I still think of Roadbuster as Halo's Master Chief (he transforms into a PUMA for pete's sake!)

And I guess that would make Whirl 'Howling Mad' Murdock? (from the A-Team, the 80's version please)

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Would have functioned.

Since it was never made official its not canon.

So we can still believe what we want:crazy: :drunk 

Your welcome bud.

Thought of you the very moment I saw it.

17. G1Jetfire

G1Jetfire Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My goal is just the opposite. But I would also like to see a Classics version of Whirl and Roadbuster in deluxe or Voyager size. Deluxe Insecticons in scout or deluxe size are wanted too.

Whirl's profile leaves me wondering how a helicopter like his alt mode could actually do what his profile claims. His bot mode was cool but seemed fragile because of his narrow frame. But he is still one of my favorite G1 figures. And I'm glad I still have him.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From the writer's standpoint it probably went as simply as "larger-than-average toy = strong guy".

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    Keep in mind both whirl n roadbuster were deluxe autobot (as is jetfire) so theyre a scale up from autobot cars. Theyve always been brute scale to regular bots.

20. SMOG

Nonsense. This is good enough for me, seems to come from an authentic source, and is additive (in that it only supplies details, rather than contradicting anything). I'll still give this a nod as a primary source.

You can argue all day (and I KNOW you can, and will) about what is "canon" in the most formal sense, but in common-sense terms, this makes the grade. A world where "The Beast" is canon, and this isn't, just isn't world that any fan should live in. :) 

It could be that, but at the same time, Transformers often flouts that same logic.

Jetfire is relatively weak for his great size. Brawn, Gears, Warpath and Pipes are some of the tiniest and strongest Autobots. Ditto for the Constructicons, who are probably the strongest combiner team overall.

zmog