G1 Wheeljack question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by FreshDebesh, Apr 28, 2010.

1. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

So, I recently got a prerub G1 Wheeljack. Its in great shape, with the stickers all on the sheet still. Its not a KO as far as I can tell. The interesting thing, is the cockpit has this weird almost allspark blue paint sprayed onto it (Kinda like the same color that Universe Ironhide's face was initially painted in before it was corrected). You can even see it sorta fade out at the hinge. I don't know how well it will show up on the pictures but take a look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a rubsymbol Wheeljack from before and the cockpit doesn't look like that. Also, I know this isn't a KO because the spoilers aren't bone white like they are in the KO, and the KO won't have this trademark:

[​IMG]

Is this just a weird variant? Considering the trademark is the earliest one available for G1 figures (Takara with Japan underneath it in a circle, sans years or kanji characters), is it a Diaclone Wheeljack that was packed as a G1 figure? Just thought it was weird and interesting.

2. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

3. S.A.A.M.

S.A.A.M. Beta-Maximus

You sure this is not a KO?

4. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

My WJ has the trademark upside down across the top of the back w? kanji under Takara and no circle in small of back so I think you need to holla at someone w? the KO to see about that strange marking.

5. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    According to Fred's, it's an early TF WJ, so it could possibly be left-over Diaclone stock:

Variations: Everything Else Autobot

There's a ton of info on the various stampings here:

http://www.reocities.com/futuristgroup/vrubby.html#stamp

Looks in great nick, congrats man :thumb  As to the cockpit, no idea, could it be really thin paint allowing the light through from the clear underside? Complete guesswork there, based on nothing more than the paint looking a bit thin where the hinge is!

As well as Marlboor, there was a Diaclone regular WJ.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  6. FreshDebesh

Wow, cool thanks for the links. You know, you maybe right in that its just a thin layer of white paint. Maybe it wasn't sprayed long enough during production. In any case, cause of the stamp, I guess it might be a diaclone repack of the Alitalia Lancia Stratos.

7. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

It's a legitimate variant. I own one of those blue cockpit Wheeljacks myself. Someone on the board once brought this to my attention and mused at how odd it was that it has seemingly been overlooked by the variant lovers even though others with less conspicuous details have not. :) 

8. FreshDebesh

Awesome! Thanks for your input Lunar. It really had me baffled. I couldn't find anything about it. I got pretty lucky with this auction cause the figure looks like it was never played with.

9. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

No problem, but I'm afraid I don't know much more about this variant than you do, other than the fact that it exists. The copyright stamp on mine appears to be different than yours, so I have no idea what that means. Even so, I've attached a pic of my three G1 Wheeljacks to this post as proof that you're not alone in owning one. Blue cockpit version is on the far left. :) 

I've noticed that the factory labels on both yours and mind have the same "defect": both the green and the red hues are slightly off compared to other G1 Wheeljacks. Maybe someone didn't mix the paint right on that day?

Attached Files:

10. FreshDebesh

Yeah, I thought so too with the factory labels. At first it made me wonder if it was a KO or not, but then I figured its likely not because of the particular Takara stamp on the back, and the fact that it feels solid, like my rub symbol version. I suppose its possible we both own Wheeljacks that were made the same day with a blue cockpit and lighter shaded factory stickers :lol 

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Congrats on the score, bud :thumb  Man, that's a sharp piece . . . I need to get a label set for mine. I finally got his spoiler part that I lost in 1st grade :lol 

Seems like you hit the gold mine with this one! :thumb 

12. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Sorry for the bump on this, but I wanted to chime in that my Wheeljack is exactly the same with the blue tinge to the canopy.

I had come to determine that it was not a KO by virtue of pictures I found in an old collector's magazine, but the info that it's a Diaclone repack is interesting.

13. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that would make sense. Too bad that link to Fred's variant page on that other thread doesn't work. I would have loved to read up more about it.

14. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits: