G1: WFC : Combiners question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is going on G1 cartoon and Marvel comics continuity as well as WFC (to me wfc still fits in for me in the continuity of G1) so keeping that in mind...

Before leaving Cybertron were there any combiners in either faction?

It's never clear whether the constructicons actually combined on cybertron. In Wfc we never see any gestalts either but we see a couple members of different combiner groups.

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends by what continuity WFC is following. It seems to lean a little towards the G1 cartoon version (even though that's a little off since then the Aerialbots and Stunticons shouldn't exist). However in the cartoon, the Combaticons were just regualr Decepticons, and I believe didn't have that ability until Starscream rebuilt them on Earth.

HOWEVER, since Hasbro insists that WFC is the same continuity as "Prime", so in that case, I guess we'll have to wait and see if the show addresses that topic.

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In Marvel comics continuity, no, the Constructicons were built on Earth by Shockwave, then later, the "Scramble City" model of combiner was invented by the Autobots (specifically, in the UK comics, following a vision of them from the future that the Matrix bestowed upon Buster Witwicky), and the Decepticons aped them by copying the knowledge via one of Bombshell's cerebro shells that was implanted in Optimus Prime at the time.

In the cartoon continuity, yes, the Constructicons were given the ability to combine into Devastator when Megatron brainwashed them into joining the Decepticons at the start of the war. Most of the other combiner teams in the cartoon were explicitly seen being created with the ability in place; Starscream was credited with giving the Combaticons the ability to combine into Bruticus.

In Dreamwave continuity, yes, the major combiners all existed during the war, but were so powerful and dangerous that a treaty was actually put in place to prohibit their use. Guess how long it lasted.

In IDW, yes, the Monster Pretenders were created on Cybertron and were the first combiners, and until the modern day of the comics, the ONLY ones, because they were so dangerous.

4. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Actually it's quite clear in the G1 toon that the Constructicons do combine.

Marvel G1 showed us the Technobots and Terracons combining before those teams came to Earth, but how long they had the ability or wether it was before the Earth bound combiners came into being is not known.

5. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

What episode did they combine before any transformers even knew about earth? I'd like the reference. Since I haven't seen 90 percent of the episodes since they originally aired my mind isn't solid on whether it happened or not.

6. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

It was done in the "flash back" scenes of "The secret of Omega Supreeme".

The flash back scenes take place in the neighborhood of 9 million years in the past.

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "The Secret of Omega Supreme"

8. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank ya!

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Exodus presents us with Devastator and two Bruticus'.

10. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Brutici"?

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, according to the Secret of Omega Supreme, before Constructicons were brainwashed by Megatron into switching sides, they didn't combine, but after being switched to "Evil", Megatron updaged them with Combiner tech. Or something.

zmog

12. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I don't recall seeing either. Just Omega and trypticon as well as some generic big bots.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits: