G1/Vintage. Sell now or after movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by sutats.com, Jan 13, 2007.

1. sutats.com

sutats.com Quintesson

Any advice on this people. Would it be best to sell before or after the movie release? Much appreciated. Cheers!

2. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

If you are selling the well known guys (optimus, starscream, megatron...) I would wait until after the movie.

They will either go up in price or stay the same after the movie, so you at least have the possibility of getting more just because of the movie.

3. sutats.com

sutats.com Quintesson

Hmmmm...thanks a lot! Yes, that does make sense actually. I have OP virginised.

4. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Sell when you know you can make money. If you've invested $1000 into your collection and it's worth $2000 now, then now's a good time to sell. If your collection hasn't grown in value, hold onto them. I say this because you never know how something like the movie is going to affect the market. It could be the case that EVERYONE is waiting until the movie to sell their toys, thus oversaturating the market and bringing prices down. Maybe it's not as likely as a price increase, but it's still a possibility that people should take into consideration.

Edit--Plus, also consider how knockoffs will affect the market when trying to decide whether to hold onto your collection to sell later or to sell now. In the last few months we've seen 3 new knockoff sets available or in the final steps to becoming available. There's no doubt that there will be more of these in the future and they will affect the price of Transformers. One more reason to be conservative and sell now if you collection has already grown in value.

5. sutats.com

sutats.com Quintesson

Hi Might Gaine! That is a very realistic insight. Very sensible, spoken like an economist. What I like about your advice is that you've brought in other realistic variables (eg. KOs, oversaturation) which will affect the values.

I wouldn't consider what I have a collection by any means, I only have 1 G1 piece though it is AFA graded which I don't think KOs have much of an effect if any.

I will give it a try listing it later next month on old eBay. Thanks for your input!

By the way, that is truly a superb and rare AFA 85 Devastator Set that you are selling. I WOULD BUY IT WITHOUT HESITATION if I wasn't downsizing at the moment.

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with Might Gaine:
    The movie coming out doesn't necessarily mean all prices will skyrocket. Contrary to what ebay sellers are all saying in their TF auction blurbs. Everyone could be looking to buy because of the movie, but hey, everyone could be equally looking to sell and the market could become flooded. It's just not predictable.

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I'd wait.

8. sutats.com

sutats.com Quintesson

I guess the move is to hold. And see how it goes.