G1 Versus Animated

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Nachtsider, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Animated features new versions of many classic G1 characters (Optimus, Ultra Magnus, the Constructicons, Bumblebee, Starscream, Jazz, Megatron, Blitzwing, etc). Do you prefer these new versions as compared to their G1 incarnations, or otherwise? What are your reasons?

Discuss.

2. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    While I do enjoy many of the Animated incarnations, I still generally prefer the G1 versions better. The only one up for debate is Shockwave. I prefer the overall look of him in G1, but love how he's portrayed in Animated as a quad-changing double agent who has infiltrated the highest Autobot ranks. That one aspect alone is enough to keep Animated in my good books forever.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Why must everything be "versus"? Why do we always get these threads that pit the two against eachother and basically open the gates for flamewars and spam? It's not even the fact taht people choose, but because they always take the oppertunity to put the other series down.

4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly? Blitzwing.

I just liked him in G1 alot better, he just had alot more personality when he showed up than other Decepticons and the whole DARN GALVATRON I'LL DO THE RIGHT THING rocked.

TFA Blitzwing is just another CRAZY CRAZY LOL RANDOM character for fangirls to drool about.

5. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

Who's the other crazy-crazy lol random character in TF: Animated?

And yeah, I remember the episode where Blitzwing betrayed the Decepticons for a short time in season 3. Of course, in G1, every episode thereafter was returned to the status quo, which means this worthwile depiction is then invalidated, as G1 Blitzwing returned to become a decepticon drone again (if he ever showed up).
    That's the problem with G1. Every episode was set back to the beginning. Rodimus Prime would always be emo, Starscream would always try really stupid schemes, Megatron would always flee like a coward once the Autobots started actually shooting back, Bumblebee would always be a useless Autobot, and so fort.

6. grimmlock

grimmlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i like the story and the flow of the animated series better than the g1, but you have to understand these are two different times. man has become more inteligent and our technology has come a long way also. the stories in animated make more sense then the ones in g1. i also think there is better character developement in animated. as far as action figures, i think classic rock both.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like both in an apples & oranges sort of way, though the characterization and writing level is more consistent in Animated (IMO of course)

8. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn Well-Known Member

Animated, as megatron was an idiot in G1.

He let starscream try and kill him oh-so-many times. This megatron punched starscream in the gut with his fusion cannon.

G1 brought in characters for no reason other than "buy my toy!". Animated has this too, but we're getting Swindle and Wreck-Gar back, and animated has *gasp* CHARACTERIZATION!!!!

That, and Animated looks a lot cooler and we don't get so many goddamn animation errors.

9. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, a full analysis of my opinions for both series would make for a very long post so I'll just say I like aspects of both and leave it at that.

10. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    G1 is the basis for all versions of Transformers that came after, Animated has taken that existing concept and done great things with it. I love my memories of G1 as a child but now I can barely bring myself to watch the G1 toon it just doesnt do it for me anymore while Animated I can watch over and over.

11. Zaraxion1021

Zaraxion1021 Cybertronian Monarch

G1 is the source of all TF series. NOTHING BEATS IT!

12. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    That's like saying the first cellphone is better than nowadays stuff because it was the first. :) 

13. Mad_Jester

Mad_Jester Wreckers

Here's how I would rank things:

G1 - Is the source material, and I feel the culmination of the best of G1 was in TF: The Movie. Granted it was the end (sort of) for prime and most of our favorite characters, it was a ballsy thing to do, which as an adult, and filmmaker, I respect.

IDW (G1 Characters) - I love what Furman has done and the wonderful stories and characterizations in the current (and War Within) IDW G1 series. In my opinion this is the best combination of story telling and the characters we love. I so wish this was a cartoon for us today.

TFA - is a great combination of a retelling of the story and great characterization. I love the fact that OP isn't the head Autobot. In many ways TFA feels like a prequal that would have been great to lead into G1 story arc. The thing that bugs me most about TFA is the animation. I'm sorry, but it's a style that I just think sucks for giant robots. IDW has the perfect idea of what they should look like. Gritty and real.

Just my opinion.

14. Darkscreamer785

Darkscreamer785 Waiting For The End

Number one, you should have made this a poll.

I'm not all big fan of either of them, but I’ll just put out all their positive and negatives.

G1

Positives:
    Well, we wouldn't even be having this discussion if it wasn't for G1. Aside from that, I don't think G1 was that great. I guess the fighting was a little faster paced than most of the other series. I, honestly, think that season 3’s “Five Faces of Darkness” episodes were G1 at its best. Season 3 definitely was better than the rest of the show. The characters were just better in Season 3 than the blank-slate characters in seasons 1&2. Heck, I thought Rodimus was cooler than Optimus. I guess I just summed up how much better season 3 was than the rest of the show.

Negatives:
    In season 1&2 it was like the same thing happened in every episode – Megatron has new evil plan, Starscream rants about how he would make a better leader, Optimus and his Autobots defeat “the evil forces of the Decepticons” etc., etc. ,etc. Anyone who’s watched G1 knows what I mean. The characters were typical mindless zombies who just carried out the same story repeating over and over again.

Season 3 fixed allot of the former season’s problem, but brought in a boat load of its own issues like all those stupid pointless aliens it had throughout the show and certain really crappy episodes, like “Madman’s Paradise.”

As far as season 4 goes, it was just a horrible way to end off the show. I think the headmaster idea was just absolutely ridiculous; it seemed more like the humans ,and whoever those green guys were, were doing all the fighting (which they basically were). They could have, at least, brought some of the old cast in the end. I guess Cybertron turning gold and everyone dancing around just didn’t cut it for me.

Animated:

Positives:
    I really can’t find allot to complement Animated for, beside the fact that, It makes efforts to try new things, adds variety to the cast, every episode isn’t a re-boot (unlike G1), etc. I guess the fact that it gives homage to allot of stuff in the TF universe could be a positive.

Negatives:
    TFA does make the characters more diverse, but at the same time takes their personalities to the extreme. The characters are kind of just the typical overdone kids cartoon cast.

The show has a few really good episodes, like “Mission Accomplished”, but at the same time is overwhelmed with utterly stupid episodes like “Sound and Fury”, “SUV”, and “Sari, No One’s Home.” I also think that the show is very predictable. This is all, of course, entirely my opinion.

Another thing about TFA that really bothers me is the humor. I really hate the “Teen Titans distorted crap.” I feel that it tries to copy BW’s humor, which I really didn’t care much for.

Sari is a big negative. She plays WAY to big of a role, and is possibly the most annoying human character next to Coby and Lori from Cyberton.

I still can’t get over the way the show looks. I just can’t handle it, its just ridiculous.

Well that’s basically how I feel about the matter. Overall, I probably like G1 better than TFA for now. TFA just has to many issues.

This is all my opinion, so please don’t rant on me for it.

15. 245am

245am opener

News Credits:
    100% agreed, I'm a new convert to Ani and a G1 diehard, and my first instinct was to pit one versus one another, but now I know it's not a zero sum game; my love of Animated figures' articulation doesn't mean I have to like G1's brickish awesomeness ANY LESS, etc, etc.

Well, just to play devil's advocate, one could make this argument in terms of breakthrough technological achievements, revolutionary form factor
    and the R&D ingenuity behind the first ones. Don't get me wrong, the iphone (for example) is amazing, but to create the FIRST portable lithium ion battery? That's pretty amazing, too.

16. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Still doesn't change the fact that saying Y is better than X because Y was the first is just wrong.

Sure the Gameboy started the line, but GBA SP could kick that out-dated garbage's ass anyday.

17. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My feelings exactly, Lockdown.

Nothing will take the memories of G1 away from me, and of how special the shows were to me. Watching it now is almost painful, though. Actually, I sat down with my daughter to watch the old movie, and neither of us could take it after about 20 minutes. For the time, it was really good. Now, the sound effects, voice acting and horrible inconsistencies make it unbearable.

We're making new memories with TF:A, and I'm glad about that. The new show is great!

18. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    TF Animated is practically a spirtual successor of G1 in most aspects of the show. Nuff said

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    The only thing I still like about G1 over TFA is G1 had a huge cast of characters from the beginning. Writers could pick a team and cycle characters in an out, making the episodes much more varied.

Hopefully next season they will start doing that.

20. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And in Animated, Bumblebee wil always need to learn the value of teamwork, Bulkhead will always be clumsy, Sari learned over and over again not to misuse the key only to forget by next episode, Lugnut wil always worship Megaron and so forth. So it's not just G1 that's guilty of this.
    And g1 DID have some characters change over time. Grimlock started out wanting to take over leadership from Prime. After the episode where Prime saved his life, he learned respect for Prime and never tries to take over again. Octane defected from the Decepticons and had to face the consequences over a few episodes. Galvatron went crazy after the movie and stayed crazy. And Blitzwing never did return to the Decepticons after he disobeyed Galvatron. Plus the time jump from 1984 to 2005 changed a lot, and never went "back to the beginning" except for bringing Prime back.