g1 upper menasor head

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by frenzyrumble, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    If they were smart, they'd use DJW's design. Since it's, y'know, kinda canon.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'd go with DJW's head.

3. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    *walks away wincing in pain*

Well, to be fair, I personally headcanonwise don't consider it fanart given you designed TFA. It's only fanart in the "not owned by Hasbro" sense.

Whatever the case, it IS a nice head design, all the same. Hopefully G1Uppers, with your blessing, goes ahead with using this, and at the VERY least attributes the design properly.

And hopefully they send you a free sample when all is said and done.

4. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    TOTALLY why he even drew the head! :cool: 

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how? no really back your statement up e.g. examples of other artists hired into a company to work on their IP who then left when the job was finished that then made additional art not under contract but was deemed to be official with out the approval from the IP owner.

Also you seem to be getting lead designer confused with a project leader aka the guy that actually green lights stuff and gives it that official stamp.

IMO this is his view on what a combiner head might have looked like in response to the 3rd party toy trying to fill such a gap. its a fun peace of art but not offical.

6. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Could it be that this was all planned? :sly2: 

7. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    But its not official cuz Blitz says so and unless you can state facts that don't exist he is right! lol

As I said it may not be an official HASBRO product but with the lead designer on board it damn well is an official TF Animated item.

8. NICKBOT

NICKBOT Don’t be a jerk...

News Credits:
    Considering DJW was the lead character designer for the show, this is Menasor in my mind. Official-schmicial, it's a 3rd party company so isn't the whole "rubble, rubble, rubble, it not canon, rubble, rubble, rubble, me mad" argument invalid? I love the debate on what is and isn't canon. It's awesome both the design and the tenacity of G1Uppers, I hope they run with it.

9. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Drawn my DJW, Lead Character designer for the project, any arguement that it's NOT officially Menasor because it's not OFFICIALLY for Hasbro, is just borderline trolling.

10. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    firstly I'm not sure what your trying to say about "cuz Blitz says so" I'm just going to assume your not trying to troll me and its just your choice in grammar. But allow me to say this no its not because I say so or not its because theirs no evidence of a Hasbro connection that makes me question the use of the term official in the news title e.g. if this was in the Allspark books or some official outlet then yeah this would be as legit as anything else put out by Hasbro but its not

Also I'm not saying that this is some how invalid or worth nothing I'm sure that this would be the hypothetical look to an official menasor head if Hasbro had plans for one or if one made it into the books so if people want to use it as a place holder or if they want to think of it as the real deal go for it but don't call it an official

really trolling? Maybe I might piss off a few DJW fans but maybe they should think about what they are getting mad about. Did I say this sucks? no. Did I call DJW anything mean? No. Did I hate on Animated? No. I just pointed out that this pic has no link to hasbro and thus cant really be called official even if its from a person on the creative team.

put it this way if Bay writes a short story post DoTM but does not pass it by hasbro and just dumps it on his twitter would it be considered canon? no not in the meaning of it being part of the larger story as approved by the owners. BUT it would be an interesting hypothetical look into what else could happen.

11. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Head sketch from Hasbro/Takara = official.
    Head sketch from DJW = De facto.

12. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, but I would like to say that since DJW has shown us his version of the Menasors head, it would be nice if G1upper could get his permission to use it for this set. My 2 cents :) 

13. clankizle

clankizle Well-Known Member

I think he kind of gave this to them as a gift. I am pretty sure he wants them to use it otherwise why post it?

14. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Moving on and completly IGNORING Blitz.

We're all moving at the speed of the internet...whihc is much faster than real life, it's in fact only been a few hours since DJW put up the picture so the G1uppers cannot honestly have reached any decision as of yet on what to do headwise. Right now thier all probably bouncing off the walls in happyness that DJW did the pic, and while obviously DJW can NEVER flat out say "Use this guys"..... the biggest issue will probably be IF they can make that head work with the enginerring they already have done on the project.

15. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Im sure whatever happens they have enough inspiration now to make something really neat :) 

16. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with you, but that is an assumption. It is always good practice to get permission to use someone's work. I have no doubt that was the intention, it all just has to go through the right channels.

17. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    If you add DJW's official Menasor head to this project the sales will be boosted just as much as Heath Leger's death boosted sales for The Dark Knight.

I'm goign to be blunt and say it. If G1Upper is even second guessing the use of this head they really need to reconsider going into this business.

Ummm DJW said that the heads weren't working so here is a head that works. I'm pretty sure that there is permission. Well as much as he can give. Remember this is a Hasbro IP not a DJW IP (even though he is the brains behind the IP)

18. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Everyone needs to relax and just let things happen...

19. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    right...but thats the issue, there are no channels, in all practicality DJW can NEVER tell these guys it's OK...at least not pupliclly. he may very well shoot them an email saying "Go for it"....we'll never know that email or IM exists.
    A Hasbro rep, can walk up to the Fansproject guys and say "We like what your doing" But Hasbro will NEVER be able to endorse Fansproject and say "Buy thier stuff" It's the same deal. But yeah, like Josh said, they now have MORE than enough input from the creative staff to put out something pretty impressive

20. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure theirs some sort of board rule I'm bending by saying this but did I strike a nerve or something?

crap it wasn't like I was trying to insult your faith, race or sexuality I just replied to your reply on my post I even went out of my way to make it clear that I have no negative views about the art itself or the artist.

so let me put my views across in a quick and simple way. Do I take this as the offical TFA (copyright hasbro) head design? no. Do I think this is a good approximation of what one would of been like as done by one of the creative team with the idea being to inspire a 3rd party company? yes Do I want G1 Uppers to take note? Oh yeah.

but anyways I'm sure you wont read this in fact its mainly for others to see that I didn't want to have any drama.