Minor/Repaint: G1 Unicron....my first custom

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by firebolt, Aug 2, 2005.

1. firebolt

firebolt Well-Known Member

here is a G1 restyled unicron, mostly just paint and dye work i did do some remolding to the head and chest so he looked more accurate, then i airbrushed all the paint and clearcoated, you can actually transform him without scratching the paint! let me know what you think i have been wanting to do this for a long time. the colors are mached to a picture i had of him from the movie if they look a little off its due to the pics they actually match perfectly!

2. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

Wow.. thats nice.

3. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Well, done! Did you use translucent green paint on the eyes? Also, do you have plans to blackwash it?

4. firebolt

Thank You, i guess building all those model cars when i was young paid off! i actuallu just painted the eyes on the inside to get a deeper effect i removed the lights due to the fact i was planning on filling the top of the head to look like the G1 version. I would like to blackwash it but since ive never done it i need to practice on another toy so i dont ruin the unicron.

5. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

Wow, that's nice. I'd like to do that to my Unicron, but I'm afraid it'll come out all fugly. I guess if I decide I really want to do that, I should practice painting various models or something.

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

That looks gret. It looks factory. If I didn't already know what the regular toy looks like, I wouldn't be able to tell that that's a custom.

One thought on a wash. Get some water soluble oil paint, and do your wash with that. Just thin it down enough that you can work it into the details. (or could spray it on, with your airbrush) Then you just wipe it back with a paper towel, or soft rag. If you don't like it, you can wash it off with a damp paper towel. If you do like it, just seal it in, with clear coat.

That's become my preffered method for doing washes. If it doesn't come out right, it's easily removed, without damaging the underlying paint, and I feel there's more control. You can go into tight areas with a cotton swab, to give just the amount of shading you want.

7. Swoop X

Swoop X Beware Of The Decepticons

That's cool. Nice job.

8. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats awsome!! I would like to do that on my Unicron, but Ill probally never get the time to do it.

9. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

wow you have the balls to test on some bot as pricey as unicron and the talent! excellent job mate

10. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Wow, I mean really, wow!

11. Icebergman

Icebergman Well-Known Member

That is kick-ass!! Awesome job man!!

12. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Colour's a little bland and there's a bit of a lack of detail (constructive crits, not slamming you or anything) But MAN! That's pretty f***ing awsome. The planet mode turned out pretty well too. Awsome work! :rock 

13. Demaar

Demaar Banned

Damn shame you don't live in Australia. I'd buy a second Unicron and let you have a blast on it :D 
    The ultimate, I think, would be if someone could do something about the stupid chompy-mouth on him... he always looked cooler with the claw-like mouth.
    Blackwash will definitely help tone down the bland look of it. Buy a Cybertron Vector Prime or something to practice on, since he could use a black wash too :D 

Edit>> Oh, also, I'd paint his hands and feet the same colour as the chest. Especially the hands, to get rid of the translucency of the right hand.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Looks great! I'd definitely blackwash it or go over it with a gundam marker. Also, I'd fill in the minicon port on the planet shell, since it's pretty useless on a G1 model.

Why doesn't the planet shut all the way? I'd fix that, too.

15. Demaar

Demaar Banned

Oh yeah, that's the other thing I was gonna mention. The alcove for Bug/Deadend isn't required, so I'd fill it with... something...

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    simple...but effective! nice!

17. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brilliant!
    Got some build process pics for us?

18. firebolt

thanks, the shell does close, i realized it wasnt after i took the pic. I also thought about filling in the indent where the minicon went but it would have taken alot of filler, then ,of course after i painted it, i realized i should have cut it out and glued some plastic to it and then filled it in, guess i was too excited to think about it at the time. i may still do it along with those stupid square pieces that are on the side of his legs, the ones where you would attach the minicon to launch the missles. i think if i got rid of those two things the planet mode would look even better.

I am currently working on pieces that look more g1 accurate to replace the chomps when he is in Planet mode

19. firebolt

Thanks! i do have to paint the translucent hand but im going to paint it the same color as the other one. Unicrons hands ,feet and face were grey in the movie.

Vector Prime is going to be my blackwash test mule,

20. firebolt

Thanks,all criticism is welcome. The color looks different in person it actually has a little metallic shimmer to it, my camera isnt the gratest. He is a work in progress i suppose and there are some things i do want to change, like i said in the post before this one..but i want to buy another unicron and make the changes i want to those pieces so im waiting untill i get my hands on that... i just wish i would have thought of these when i was doing this guy, ive waited 20 years guess i can wait a bit. but then ill have 2 unicrons and can sell one!