G1 Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, May 12, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I have been looking at G1 Ultra Magnus as of late. G1 Optimus is one of my favorites, and I am wondering what kind of feed back you guys had on G1 Ultra Magnus?

- Is he a good figure.
    - Does he have a wow factor to him like optimus?
    - Is he good old G1 fun?
    - What is a good price I could expect to pay for a good condition one.
    - If I go the reissue route, is the 15th anniversary the best example of him?

Any other comments are welcome.

Thanks,

2. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

g1 ultra magnus is amazing! does he have playability? F YES HE DOES! matter of fact, i just had him in truck mode the other day rolling him around the carpet making my trademark "HAAAAAANK HAAAAAAANK" sound (its the sound i use for both um and prime, its their horn) i played with him so much i put tire tread marks in the carpet and my wife got super pissed at me cause she just vacuumed and i messed up the carpets uniformity, i dont care though, i LOVE playing with that guy. When i have him displayed i of course have the trailer armor on and hes holding his huge gun pointing it out at passer-bys as if saying "dont f with me or ill blow your head straight off!!!!" I say buy it.

3. Starstriker

Starstriker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To truly appreciate Magnus you should look at Powered Convoy. He is an upgraded Battle Conviy. It is why the cabs are the same. So Magnus is just an upgraded prime.

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wanted a G1 Magnus to tinker with, but I didn't have the space for it, so I bought a WST Diaclone set. Perfect for my purposes.

5. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 Ultra Magnus is 1 of my favourite G1 character, though he is not the official Leader of Autobots but i feel that he can lead them better than Rodimus Prime

6. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

U must buy a Magnus.

It is a cool toy period.

Its like a PM Prime without the craptacular cab lol

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    OK, well, which one to buy, and what is a fair price?

8. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

US Reissue Magnus was great if you don't mind the small stacks. If I remember correctly, I think the fists were remolded to hold both guns.

9. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Get the Japanese reissue. The US version is gimped with short stacks AND elongated missiles.

10. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Too bad this post wasn't a week ago tonight; there were a few nice Ultra Magnus figures at the NJCC. I do believe that Dethpike (from NJCC) may still have one left. I remember that his was in the styrofoam.

11. TheDugC

TheDugC New Member

Eh

Ultra Magnus always seemed too anal for my taste. I believe that is why the M.o.L did select him to lead the Autobots in their darkest hour. He was incapable of handling intense situations and/or leading with TRUE conviction so no, DON'T buy him! @love36... It's Passers-by.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes, he's a great figure, an original loose in minty shape can be had for roughly $60.

13. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

^TheDougC, the M.o.L picked him cause he WAS a true leader. The M.o.L was right, and because of it EVERY TF fan should own UM. I think you're just pissed cause when you were a kid you probably got the stupid UM with plastic wheels and unpainted face and not the rubber wheels and painted face like you should have got and because of it you have alot of anger towards your parents, either that or you got the TRU Ri-SS UM and are pissed about that. Regardless, I think your taking this aggression out on UM and its not fair, you're misleading the OP in thinking G1 UM is not worthy of his toy collection.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  14. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still have my original from childhood and remember it being well loved. The armoring up along with the car carrying option gives it great play value. Since I still have my old one though I can't really speak to price or reissues.

15. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Awesome toy definately get him. Nice size, nice g1 feel, and pretty cool looking! IDK y but I love the alt mode with the blasters attached.

16. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

I was just fooling around with my daughter's TRU reissue. He is lots of fun in both modes plus I think there are some additional base modes and gimmicks which the instructions don't mention. Has some decent articulation in the arms as well due to his transformation. However he is G1 to the bone which means he is pretty much a brick in robot mode amid there is a bunch of parts forming involved in getting the big bot together. Personally I prefer City Commander but I think if you are a fan of the character and/or G1 both are must haves. Plus you get a white G1 Optimus free of charge. When I was a poor kid playing with my rich friend's collection I used to pretend that the white cab was Optimus coated with the metal to protect him from the hate plague like in the return of Optimus episodes.

Additional cool thing I noticed: the die cast matrix that came with the Rodimus/Cyclonus 2 pack can go in the white Optimus' chest which will show via the two rectangular holes in the combined bot mode. So technically you can give G1 ultra Magnus the Matrix and see it in his chest.

17. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ultra Magnus is pretty good and I'd recommend getting the Takara reissue. You can go vintage but make sure you get the painted face/rubber tire version.:2c:  Also, the Hasbro reissue is ok but it kinda sucks; long missiles, short smokestacks, etc etc

AND as someone else mentioned, if you have 300+ burning a hole in your pocket, pick up the Powered Convoy reissue. The colors are WAY BETTER

18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't G1 Ultra Magnus a brick? :sly2: 

19. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Vintage boxed and loose Magnus' are decent. IMHO maybe you should try getting those?

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got the TRU reissue, and gawd those missiles are riDQlous.
    but i don't have them in the launchers at the moment, so it doesn't matter to me.

Magnus is still a great toy. he looks great next to my Powermaster Prime, hauling a couple Autobot cars.