G1 UK Official toy releases

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tarma, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Tarma

Tarma Metal Slug

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker...

I'm trying to recall which G1 Transformers (up to the Headmasters/Target Masters... so about 1987 at a guess) did not get an official UK release.

From what I remember the following toys were never officially released in the UK during the original G1 run up to the G1 Headmasters:

Shockwave
    Swoop
    Blaster
    Trypticon
    Perceptor
    Omega Supreme (I know about the Grandstand Omegatron)
    Sky Lynx

Were there any others? I can never recall seeing the original Constructicons on UK shelves, but I could be wrong...

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Roadbuster
    Whirl
    Fortress Maximus
    Seacons (?)
    Terrorcons (?)

3. Tarma

Tarma Metal Slug

Seacons were available because I had Skalor and Nautilator (sp?) and Terrorcons werre also available because I owned Cutthroat.... these were all bought from the likes of Boots and Woolworths.

Fort Max definitley wasn't available, but I'm looking at pre-Headmasters releases.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I don't ever remember seeing Shockwave, Swoop, Blaster, Roadbuster, Whirl, Ransack, Barrage, Chopshop, Venom, Trypticon, Omega Supreme, Sky Lynx, Finback, Bugly, Groundbreaker, Sky High, Grotusque, Fortress Maximus, Repugnus and Ratbat.

I remember seeing all the US released combiner teams except possibly the Constructicons (if they DID come out over here, I never saw them) and the Predacons (which I also never remember seeing anywhere). I don't remember if we got Monstructor either.
    I still have my MIB Snaptrap from when I was a kid, so we definitely did get the Seacons. We even had a name change in there as well (Overbite = Jawbreaker).

5. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Definitely, I got the Seacons and Terrorcons.

They're already covered but I was gutted we never got Swoop or Whirl.

Gnaw? Did we get him? Did anywhere else?

Also, welcome to the boards, Tarma. Get an avatar and get in to the UK sightings thread!

6. Tarma

Tarma Metal Slug

Thanks dude!

I have never understood why Hasbro chose to not sell certain figures over here. Some may have been over licencing issues (like with Omega Supreme / Omegatron), other decisions were just odd to me.

I remember looking on the back of the boxes and identifying the characters you couldn't buy from their appearances in the comics and then wondering if there even was a toy of them available!!

7. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    English-carded Constructicons turned up in large quantities in Woolworths in late 1991, but it's been suggested these came via an importer rather than Hasbro UK. This seems likely as they were about 6 years late! We definitely had Monstructor and the Seacons, but no Predacons.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Omnius, were they the late Constructicon release on blue cards? I do remember them vaguely, but I don't remember the original release at all.

9. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't believe we ever had Perceptor, Sixshot, the autobot cassettes, Punch/CounterPunch, those clone TFs, Gnaw, or Reflector?
    I'm sure I saw some of the deluxe insecticons, no idea which anymore. Didn't keep track by the time of Micromasters or Actionmasters though.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We never got:

(from 1984-1986):
    Deluxe Insecticons
    Perceptor
    Blaster
    Constructicons (in 1985 - we got some imported stuff in the early 1990s)
    Shockwave
    Swoop
    Gnaw
    Predacons
    Trypticon (not through Hasbro UK; some independent shops got the odd one in stock, and it was offered as a prize in TF Weekly of course!)

Both the Seacons and Terrorcons were released. We only got 50% of both the Autobot and Pretender 1988 lineup (we got the more famous ones) as well.

11. Gen. Hospital

Gen. Hospital Well-Known Member

Ok, so I know we up here are covered by Hasbro Nordic, but Fortress Maximus was definitely available here. How fine-grained are Hasbro's releases, really?

12. abarnes50

abarnes50 Member

Ebay:
    I definately had shockwave. Was he released under a different label over here?

13. Tarma

Tarma Metal Slug

Ah, by the early 1990's I was classed as too old for Transformers, and as I didn't need the nostalgia kick then, megadrives and SNES's were far more important!!

Shame, because if I could have bought all the Constructicons back then I would have.

Remember the pretenders, my last TF toy as a kid was Skullgrin... awful toy imo. I personally don't really rate the late G1 stuff very highly, it was all very plasticky and the figures were a bit bland. That's why now I'm just looking at collecting all the pre-target master / headmaster toys!!

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

How could I have forgotten the Predacons, the Deluxe Insecticons and Gnaw!!!

And the only reason I said the Seacons and Terrorcons is because not once did I ever see them at retail as a child.

I don't think our mail away offers ever included Reflector, just the Omnibots IIRC. In fact, it wasn't until many many years later that I even knew there was a toy of Reflector!

Ah, the times spent looking at the box art on the back of the TF toy packaging and wondering just who the bloody hell half those characters were...

The very last G1 toy I bought (or had bought for me) must've been either Pretender Bumblebee or Classic Heros (gold box) Prowl.

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    sweden did get original relesed constructicons, we even got Max, in a very very limited quantety. I think the number was around 5 or 6 of him.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

:lol 

17. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I know the thread was started based on pre- Headmaster era toys but.....

Apparently Fortress Maximus was available from Hamleys.

Trypticon... some UK store had him as an exclusive, but can't remember which one.
    A few shops got Sky Lynx somehow as well, although possibly imported from mainland Europe.

Monstructor.....i think was available from Woolworths. Grey market or official Hasbro UK product not sure.

Someone once swore to me on his life that Swoop WAS released in very small quantities in the UK
    Bearing in mind that a lot of TFs released in the UK that year were packed with US catalogues, i guess it's not impossible that
    that early quantities were simply overuns of cases made for the US.

...and muddying the waters a little more. A few of the TFs made for the Chinese market apparently made it here, including Ratbat and Frenzy, and the Clones/Double spy assortment.

18. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    yeah...couldent been more then that its so sad its funny :) 

I know Denmark got a few aswell. Not that into the subject.

I

19. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Constructicons released via woolworths in the UK in the early 90's were imported Chinese reissues (there were looks of G1 figures reissued in china at the time and the were all produced under licence for HasTak). I still have the backing cards from them and they are slightly different to the 85 releases.

20. Tarma

Tarma Metal Slug

lol, probably only those shopping at Hamleys could afford Fort Max! Love to know what his UK rrp was...

I think you're right about the toy catalogue, because I think I do remember Swoop being featured in the catalogue, but I'm certain he wasn't available at retail.

I never saw any of the spy cassettes at uk retail... if only I could go back in time...