G1 TV series on blu-ray in Japan

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Takeshi357, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    But would lower compression or a smaller number of discs be that much of a selling point? I've watched SD material on BD before and the picture-quality benefits are very minimal indeed. I can't really see this set being something western consumers would particularly lap up.

Furthermore, the Average Joe punter likely equates the Blu-ray format with High Definition. Off the top of my head I'm struggling to think of many commercial BD releases which contain an SD main feature (the Doctor Who TV Movie is the only other title I can think of, and that was heavily discounted a week after it was released). How would you market this, especially when the complete DVD set can be bought relatively cheaply these days?

2. tk7261

tk7261 Active Member

I just know that I would definitely get it.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I wouldn't call it minimal if the interlacing has been reversed. That's a pretty big deal for LED-based screens. As far as finding a market though, you're probably right.

4. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't interlacing something which could have been fixed on the DVDs, if they'd been so inclined? Couldn't something like DEFT have been used to iron out the judder?

5. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It would be for me, I don't want to have to add another movie shelf and having the entire series in a single slim blu ray instead of several dvd cases case would go a long way towards avoiding that.

Cya
    Raziel-chan

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  6. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Discotek has released/plans on releasing a small number of SD on BD anime titles (Fist of the North Star, Samurai Pizza Cats, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz). It's mostly used as a way to deal with shows that were mastered on tape where it would be extremely time consuming to reassemble/replicate the source material in HD.

I think it's an angle that could work, but would require stressing that the material in question is only presented in 480p. It's kind of a neat novelty to have a 52 episode show on just 1 disc. I suspect Shout! Factory might eventually go down that path with ... Power Rangers. I think there would be enough demand (and potential support from Hasbro) to at least test the waters for a proper G1 HD remaster.

7. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Shout can remaster the tapes for DVD, I'm sure they plan on remastering them for Blu Ray eventually. It's just a matter of time. We just have to be patient and enjoy the DVD's for now. Which, I may add look amazing on a 4K UHD TV

8. RichP

RichP Well-Known Member

Where can I stream this on TV? I was able to buy 15 episodes on Amazon prime but nowhere else

9. kary

kary Karyuudo Fansubs

Well, Beast Wars II was translated by my team, and it's available via torrent and also online via our YouTube channel if you're interested.

As for Beast Wars Neo... you'll need to wait.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kantus Prime

Kantus Prime Beast Wars Forever!

News Credits:
    I've seen Beast Wars 2 on YouTube I just want them in my collection

11. kary

kary Karyuudo Fansubs

Yeah, unfortunately, Toei doesn't seem to be interested in handing out the license for Beast Wars II or Neo over on this side of the world. If Shout ever got the license, our group would gladly hand over the subs we did, so they could get legit release out to the public sooner rather than later.

12. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I just like having japanese episodes of my favorite series. Got the DVDs last release, but my region free player died years ago. Wont have to worry about that with Blu rays. Count me in.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

Hmmm. the contents list "video extra/bonus" in addition to the 65 episodes of S1
    戦え! 超ロボット生命体トランスフォーマー 全65話+映像特典
    Wonder is that is just scramble city...

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The DVD standards do include support for 24 FPS content (player should convert to 60/50 fps on the fly as needed), as well as to flag interlaced frames so that players can deinterlace or IVTC them. But actual support on the player side is inconsistent, so these are almost universally unused--especially for TV content as opposed to cinema. The standards are followed a lot more consistently on BD for some reason.

That's not what they said when they were briefly active here. Basically, they said that there weren't enough good film sources to rescan, upscaling isn't worth it, and they don't see a demand for high quality SD-on-BD releases.

I thought the holdup was that Hasbro and S!F didn't think there was a demand after slow sales of Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kary

kary Karyuudo Fansubs

That could be the case, too. I just heard through a rumor that Toei didn't want to sell them the rights to the show. I could very well be wrong on the info I had. I don't suppose we have anyone from S!F who could confirm which is accurate?

16. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

I saw this and thought,"Yes, someone understands!" lol. I do the same when I see RiD.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  17. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Lucky guy. For all the anime I watch you'd think I'd learn the language since I largely prefer subs to dubs but I've been told by many that it's really hard to learn. Is it?

18. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

If I could add Transformers to my list of subbed cartoons from the 80s I'd be so friggin' happy. I have Macross, GoLion, and Gatchaman (and some really low quality Masterforce/Victory/ vids from Youtube) so TFs would complete my childhood. lol.

TIL that Americans missed out on Hot Rodimus.

I'm torn on that. I love digital, especially when it comes to books since space is limited these days. That said, I like actually owning physical copies of stuff I really like. That, and I don't trust streaming companies to go under and take my video collection with them.

19. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    It could be a case of both being true. Toei is notoriously stingy about rights, but it's very possible that Shout just doesn't see enough demand to bother trying.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Markdelg

Markdelg Well-Known Member

I have those as well, along with Southern Cross (Robotech II), Genesis Climber Mospeada (Robotech III), Space Battleship Yamato (Starblazers), and Dairugger (Vehicle Voltron). The English subs for Yamato and Gatchaman have a lot to be desired, however.

I'm still waiting for the BluRay release of Mach Go Go Go. Apparently it's in limbo at the moment.

• Like Like x 1