G1 Trypticon Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by chrisr291, Jan 7, 2012.

1. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi guys! As some of you know, I'm in the process of rebuilding my G1 collection. Over the past month, I've brought a lot of figures, and I'm really happy with them. With that said, happy doesn't begin to describe my feelings toward owning G1 Trypticon again. I am literally excited! Trypticon was one of my more memorable childhood gifts, and if I had the ability to rip VHS tapes, I'd show you 6 year old me losing my mind when I opened this guy up.:lol  I LOVE this figure

Now, onto the review:thumbs2: 

Accessories

I'm going to go in color order; first up, silver

[​IMG]

If your looking to buy a 100% complete Trypticon, make sure the seller confirms all these parts are present

1. Double Barreled Blaster
    2. Single Barreled Blaster
    3. Scanner A
    4. Blaster Stands
    5. Full Tilt Electro-Disruptor gun
    6. Scanner B

Of all these accessories, the Full Tilt gun is crazy expensive. As of January 2012, I've seen 3 auctions end anywhere from 70-120 bucks for this one gun. Frankly, I only paid 200 bucks total for my figure, so I might be putting that accessory on ebay SOON lol.

Next up, purple

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. Trank Tread A
    2. Laser Cannon
    3. Large Tower
    4. Ramp A
    5. Tank Tread B
    6. Ramp B
    7. Small Tower
    8. Full Tilt
    9. Helipads x 2

With these accessories, be sure to ask if the laser cannon works. All it takes is 1 AA battery to power that up.

Final set, body color

[​IMG]

2 Connectors
    1 Battery cover
    1 Ramp/highway strip

Now, if the Trypticon your looking at is missing the ramp strip; I'd make sure the area isn't broken because it's really hard to pull that strip off.

Also, the connectors are pretty important if you have Motormaster and Onslaught. More on that later:thumbs2: .

Partners

Brunt

[​IMG]

Brunt is created by connecting the towers, treads, and laser cannon. In this mode, Brunt rolls on 4 wheels attached underneath his treads.

Full Tilt

[​IMG]

He is as G1 as you can get; just fold the legs and he is transformed. I'll be buying the Reprolabels' upgrade for this figure just to make him pop-out more.

Main Body Trypticon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trypticon's articulation.... well he doesn't have much to say the least lol. No bending elbows, knees.... However, his claws and mouth do open if that counts for anything.

Still, he is a G1 figure, so that is to be expected due to his age. Now, lets go over his positives! The ELECTRONICS :rock 

Rotating Towers and his cannon light

G1 Trypticon Electronics test 1 - YouTube

Walking (IGNORE the mess and my dog barking; I got home late last night)

G1 Trypticon walking test - YouTube

For power, Trypticon runs off of 2 C batteries; which are kinda expensive!
    [​IMG]

Battle Station mode

[​IMG]

City mode

[​IMG]

If you remember, I mentioned the body colored connectors as being important. Well this is why, you can attach Onslaught and Motormaster to Trypticons' body.

Size comparisons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall

There is no way I can't be bias here. I love Trypticon and I'd recommend everyone buys it:lol 

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This was a jealousy toy for me. I saw a kid with it and it blew my mind. Did they ever do a reissue? I'd rather do that then hunt down all the parts for prices I can't afford (regardless it will happen).

As a side, you can always just play your vhs tape and record the video from the tv with your camera. Not like we're being treated to any hi def glory ,)

3. Akroyer

Akroyer Well-Known Member

I also love Trypticon, and he is one my favorite pieces.

Please update the pictures when you get the reprolabels. I'd love to see them, so I can decide if I want to do the same.

I still need a few pieces to complete mine. And my Brunt works. I really need to get a good set of C batteries so I can test his walking. I wasn't concerned with it, so I never checked =)

4. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I don't have a VHS player either lol. I'd like to eventually get all my childhood videos transferred over to digital files; my mom recorded a lot of my events...... lol

Well be warned, C batteries are kinda expensive. I paid 11 bucks for a pair at Walgreens on my way home from the gym:crazy: 

5. Asuran

Asuran Well-Known Member

I had Metroplex as a kid, and a complete Trypticon was one of my first Holy Grails when I started collecting as an adult. This is a great review. Thanks for sharing.

6. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

I would love to see a third party try to tackle this beauty.

7. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice review and pics! I have a video review of him myself on my youtube channel :)  Also, I have an almost complete one for sale for $200 INCLUDING Full Tilts gun! (shameless plug)

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the photos and review man, very awesome.

One day I will get a Trypticon.

9. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    ah memories i had one of these as a kid, and after just watching part of the 5 faces of darkness and seeing the awakening of him, it got me thinking of him and then you posted this.

just awesome im totally jealous

10. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have the reprolabel upgrades for this. Makes it look 100 times better.

11. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^^

Full Tilt's labels or all of them? I'd like to buy the set but 45 bucks is kinda steep:2c: 

12. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I have 1 in a complete edition but the only thing I don't have is the box but I do have the instructions for it. I got mine from someone that was selling their TF's for SW figures and I even got a orginal G1 Sky lynx as well.

13. Akroyer

Akroyer Well-Known Member

Yes, that's why I never really tested mine. I tried a couple kicking around the house and they didn't work. Could be the batteries.

When I tested Brunt, it took about 3 different batteries that I knew worked before one lit him up.

14. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect the thread over this, but I can't seem to find an answer anyplace else on the internet...

Out of the 18 parts shown in the first 4 pictures, how many have a place to store on Trypticon's T-Rex mode? I'm considering buying some parts to spruce up my (very bare bones) trypticon, and I'm curious how big the pile of "extra" parts is going to be in each mode.

15. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In T-Rex mode, just the car stores on his chest and everything else is loose.

In city or base mode, you pick either the radars or guns to store on the chest area.

16. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Dang, I was hoping that the long ramps could fold up somewhere.

So the connectors are just loose as well? Holy moley, no wonder all these parts are expensive!

17. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    With this one, and Skorponok's body, I don't actually remember where I got them from. I know I didn't have them as a kid, but don't remember getting them off eBay. Regardless, they are now some of my favorites, and this was a great review. Thanks!

18. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OMG.

THANKS so much for spotlighting one of my most fav childhood toys. I SO miss my trypticon.

Exactly how I remember it. I never lost a single part for any of my toys (Joe or TF)

The walking feature was SO incredible. As collectors now we bitch about "BAH! stupid electronics wasted good transformin space/cost" but I tell you, SO many times as a kid I would put trypticon in the corner, and have my autobot base with Metroplex in the other corner. Tripticon would start to assult, lumbering over to destroy autobot city...Omega Supreme would transform and walk out to meet him. Omega supreme would walk much faster than trypticon, so they would walk out to meet, and I would ready defences at autobot base..acting out scenes from the movie...Omega Supreme would fight trypticon, and sadly lose with a disassembly of his parts over a scale 10 miles square to show the autobots the devestation that is heading their way.. Optimus would fight megatron...Damgaged and return instructing Metroplex to Trasnform and fight trypticon to the death. Metroplex always won..I LOVED these two TFs like best friends.

DOUBLE YEW TEE EFFIN EFF!!!!!

I NEVER knew those guys connected to the ends. Always seen that spot, NEVER knew that and I had both of those guys. DAMNIT!!!! If I had those guys set up making Decpticon city that big, I would put it on par with banging all the chicks from robert Palmers Simply irresistable video. Thats just KILLER.

WANT Trypticon again...LOVED the walking part of it as a kid. Even the light on brunt was cool, and the rotating dishes and such in base mode were SPLENDID..

DAMN IT ALL.....want mine back.....DAMN IT ALL...

19. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, all my Trypticon parts are now in a plastic baggie.

OH and just a minor update...

I did sell my Full Tilt gun for 100 bucks on ebay:D . Sure, my Trypticon is now incomplete but who cares, I got everything for sub 100 dollars now.

200 bucks shipped
    -100 for eBay Full Tilt sale
    -30 for Trypticon instructions

70 bucks! Works for me:bay 

20. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Holy cr********P!

Just bought a G1 Trypt and bought most of the accessories on Ebay.....but when all was said and done....ALONG WITH REPROLABELS....man oh man is this figure simply breathtaking!

I can't believe how the Reprolabels bring this already awesome figure to a whole other level of awesomeness!

Pics to come...