G1 Trypticon box question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TJOmegaFanBoy, Feb 24, 2011.

1. TJOmegaFanBoy

TJOmegaFanBoy WHATISTHISIDONTEVEN

Hey guys, so I'm on a website called AllExperts where people ask questions about certain topics, and I had a question asked the other day I wasn't so sure on, and I was hoping you could help. Here's the question:
    Thanks,
    TJOFB

2. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

I will fisrt preface this by saying I'm taking a stab in the dark here, as I don't have a definitive answer for you.....

That said....

As a toy collector for over 20 years I've seen a TON of variants over the years as it relates to packaging for different lines. Some lines you will see a huge difference in the price of a figure that is in the package based on the wave that it was released with. The classic Star Wars line is a great example of this. In cases like that you see this huge difference because all or most of the figures saw a release in each wave. In other words, you can get your Star Wars Leia on a Star Wars card, an ESB card, or a ROTJ card...let alone the foreign differences, 'back counts, etc. It's the card itself that is commanding the price rather than the toy inside.

For Transformers you saw little of this.....

G1 was released really different than a lot of other toys at the time in that when you got to the 86 line, most of the 84 and 85 line had been discontinued. So you didn't have the option of having a figure, let's say Jazz for instance, with different war images on the back or different cards, etc. I've rarely seen a packaging variant bring a different amount of money in Transformer, in short because the line wasn't released in such a manner to really command much of a difference.

I could be wrong, but my gut says there is no difference in the price the market will bear for these.

3. grune7

grune7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The one I've got has the poster. I would guess the one without the poster is rarer. But I doubt anyone would pay a premium for it. I've never heard of anyone collecting transformers packaging varients. Star Wars is different some collecters pick a figure and try to get every pa laying varient which with all the different number of figures pictured on the back and mail in offers makes for alot more different ones than you would think. That leads to some being rare and going for alot.

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    from what I know there are three boxes for Trypticon but I could be wrong

Reguler
    Poster box
    Jap version.