G1 Transformers vs GI.JOE

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Why is there more episodes in G1.JOE than in Transformers, was GI.JOE more popular at the time as I remember watching both as I loved both of them, and I noticed that GI.JOE and G1 use the same background music and why is that? GI.JOE and G1 couldnt get their own background music? Last bu not least who was Duke's 2nd in command and Cobra Commander's 2nd in command?

Thanks.

2. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Duke WAS the second in command ;)  Hawk was the Leader.
    Technically CC's second-in-command was the Baroness (as Destro was a contractor/gun runner with fancy duds).

3. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Duke was second in command? then why in the movie HASBRO wanted to kill the leader at the time which was Duke?

4. The G1 Guy

The G1 Guy '80's Prodigy

5. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

6. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    I think for pretty much same reason why a lot of season 2 characters didn't make it to TF: The Movie, most likely Movie work was done in advance, so during planning stages, Duke was still the leader character, and they wanted to firmly establish the transition of Hawk as overall commander and most likely focus on newer characters aka Falcon, Sgt Slaughter etc. If you watch the season before the movie, Duke has been relegated to the background behind Hawk and Sgt Slaughter.

7. BigToyAuction

BigToyAuction Well-Known Member

For the most part, they wanted to get this done for as cheaply as possible, especially since they treated the whole venture mainly as advertising costs. By commissioning just a few pieces of music and then using them across the different property lines (including Jem and some others, if I'm not mistaken) they could cut their licensing fees.

Some of the character designs found their way across properties too, like Hector Ramirez. Even though it was all to save money, I like to think that it added something ot the overall continuity, though. With Blaster playing the same music at the club that some of the Joes were listening to, it made it seem like they were all in the same continuity and were listening to the same popular music of the time.

8. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    While Hawk was introduced in season 2 as higher than Duke in the command chain, Duke was still considered a "star" character. But more importantly, Duke's toy was fading from retail shelves so there was no need to keep him around in the series, and killing a key character would make for a more dynamic film (in theory). I don't think the plan was to "kill the leaders", the plan was to remove old product from the series to focus on new stuff. Bazooka, Alpine and Gung Ho weren't "leaders", but were prominent in the cartoon to that point, their "critical injuries" was a good "out" to get their characters off the show.
    Plus, they didn't want Hawk to die because he still had a toy on retail shelves.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There's more episodes of GI Joe than Transformers because it ran for a much longer period. G1 only ran for 3.5 seasons, whereas GI Joe ran from before G1 until well afterwards, so naturally there would be more episodes, especially when you account for the DIC series.

Also, this has kind of been touched on before, but GI Joe and Transformers were made by essentially all the same people around the same time, so the voices and music and style are very similar.

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There AREN'T more Sunbow episodes of G.I. Joe - there are 98 episodes of Transformers, and only 95 episodes of Joe. Joe got more episodes once production moved to DiC. Joe and TF share some background music because they shared production - they tunes became something of a stock library. It's not uncommon - Saban did a similar sort of thing. But both shows have *lots* pieces of music that are also unique to them.

11. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    it would be sweet if the movie verse transformers and movie verse G.I. Joe were in 1 movie together. sorta like a batman meets superman kinda thing.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It was a cost issue. The royalty fees from any popular band of the era would have bumped up the production cost. To save money studios would look for something that was either public domain or make something in house that they could reuse without a royalty fee each time the cartoon was shown since they were aiming for syndication.

So you got lots of classical music in the old Warner Brothers Loony Toons cartoons. Spiderman and His Amazing Friends and other Marvel cartoons used that generic rock song over and over until it haunts your dreams some times.

Sound effects got reused.

Reusing voice actors had been popular since Mel Blanc covered almost all of the voices for Loney Toons. It saved a studio the trouble and expense of hiring new voice actors and provided more work for the voice actors so win win.

13. BigToyAuction

BigToyAuction Well-Known Member

And some of the Sound effects were out-right stolen. Listen closely to some of the door noises and laser noises to both Joe and Transformers, and you'll hear some Lucasfilm effects in there, which the production as freely admited as being "borrowed" from Star Wars.

There's an interesting bit about what happened afterwards with that music, too, and the lawsuit that the composers brought to try and get paid what they felt the were owed from the music. I'll see if I can find a link to that article somewhere.

14. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    G.I. Joe did remain popular in the U.S. with very little break when the TF's were swept under the rug after the brief season 4, I wish it wasn't so. If Hasbro had dubbed "Victory" in 1990 and aired it right alongside the DIC G.I. Joe series, I'd have gotten right back into Transformers. I would have loved for the toys to be right on the shelves next to the Joes.

Although, since 1996 Transformers has had much more success on the airwaves, with way more new shows making it to air. But that original Joe run, there was very little break between the show, movie, Python Patrol mini and the DIC series. They had a good run of about 8 years.

15. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I almost feel like Michael Bay would have been a better fit for the Joe franchise, considering how much he loves the military characters.

16. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

There plan was to kill Duke.But the backlash from parents over Primes death made them add that 1 extra line in the move.duke is going to make it....

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

A lot of Marvel/Sunbow produced shows used some of the same music.

Even Spiderman and his Amazing Friends used some of the same music.

As to why?

Save money recycling.