G1 Transformers Marvel comic series

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SoundBlaster7, Apr 22, 2011.

1. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never read the original G1 Marvel comics from the 80s before and I'd like to give them a try, 'cause I keep hearing how good they are. :)  Are there any reprints out there, collections maybe? Feel free to leave advice on how to get started. :) 

2. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I believe IDW is about to reprint the classics TPBs again, so either wait for that or track down the earlier IDW reprints for 1-80 US G1. I have the set and it's really nice.Then you need to hit up the UK reprint TPBs for sure as it's some of the best stuff in the franchise.

Below is a link to a list of the titan UK TPBs and IDW put out an omnibus that includes 3 of them so you might want to seek that out on amazon as it's usually cheaper than buying the 3 TPBs separately.

TFArchive - Transformers Comics - Titan Books Reprints

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd advise getting the Titans. IDW gives you more per volume, but they are low print run, and the earlier volumes are pretty expensive. Also, the IDW ones are missing several stories that Marvel didn't let them re-print. (Marvel owns Circuit Breaker so they won't let their charcter appear in other publications)

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Check your local comic shop too -- you might possibly find some good deals on the previous TPB collections for less than the original retail price. Comic shop owners always seem happy about getting rid of older stock/backissues and if you ask nicely enough they might even be open to negotiating a discount if you're interested in buying several items.

5. SoundBlaster7

News Credits:
    Thank you so much for your help guys! :D 
    Gonna check these out, I totally forgot about TFArchive, great references.

6. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    That's half true as in after volume 3 they obviously got the rights sorted out. Overall there are 5 issues total in summary form in the IDW set and all of them are in volumes 1-3.

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wasn't aware of that (despite owning volume 4). That's good to know, thanks.

8. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    There's no way they could have sold many volumes 5 and 6 without the rights from Marvel. Circuit Breaker and the rest of the Neo Knights were pretty involved in the whole Unicron affair so it would have been totally pointless to buy something with summaries of the pivotal issues near the end of the story. I am really interested in knowing the history of how the rights saga played out between IDW and Marvel.

9. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Without going into specifics, a trip to ioffer.com might be a nice place to start.

10. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    The Titans are mostly available on Amazon Marketplace for semi-reasonable amounts.

11. SoundBlaster7

News Credits:
    thanks for the tips! :D