G1 Transformers comics

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Is it still possible to find the G1 US and UK Marvel Comics? And I dont want the paperbacks, I want the original ones without having to go to ebay.

2. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    If you want vintage books then Ebay or some other comic-centric auction site is your only choice. The individual issues have never been reprinted. What do you have against the trade paperbacks anyway? I have the full IDW US G1 set, a mix of IDW/Titan UK TPBs and they are great.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Many comic shops (especially ones that have been around a while) will have back issues for a few bucks a pop, but it can get difficult and expensive to get them this way. I really do reccommend the paperbacks for a much easier way to read the story.

4. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Whats the difference?

5. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The best besides eBay is like a couple others said, comic shops, that's where I got nearly my entire collection, I even found 20 or so UK ones. That said, they've probably raised in price over the past few years, when I originally bought mine, they were around $2-3 a pop, then #70-79 I found for $10-12, and #80 I got for $30.

6. Deceptijohn

News Credits:

The difference between what? The vintage books and the trade paperbacks? Vintage can be hard to find and pricey. Trade paperbacks are cheap and readily available.

If you do decide to get the IDW US G1 TPBs my advice is to make sure you buy the new releases of volumes 1-3 as the original release has summaries of 5 issues in those volumes due to licensing issues with Marvel owned characters. Doesn't matter which run you get of vols. 4-6.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uh - how else besides places like ebay do you expect to get 25 year old comics?? You may find some for sale here, but really - ebay's your best best.

However, I'd recommend IDW's upcoming TPB collections. They will be (it seems) complete with every single issue, which is the first time that's ever been done (neither Titan nor IDW managed it previous), including lots of UK material that's never been collected including the annual text stories.

If you're adamant about the single issues (and I don't blame you - I've got all of them!) then ebay is the way to go. Go for big lots.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Why buy when you can download?

9. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    Because reading comics on a screen sucks.

10. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

There's usually a dealer or two at Botcon with a random assortment of the original floppies. Regular comic conventions probably have some old TF comics sitting around in the back issue bins too.

But unless you want to go on a huge time-consuming scavenger hunt, you might have to settle for reprints or ebay. A complete collection of original decades-old comics isn't going to come easy.

11. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    What's an original set of the G1 Marvel US collection worth? I was considering selling mine, but estimates of the "value" are all over the place. I know it varies by condition, but I can't even find a ballpark estimate.

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The reality is all issues are very common, except for post issue#70 stuff. I'd calculate along the following lines:

Issues #1-4 = $4 each
    issues #5 - 60 = $2 each
    Issues #61-70 = $3 each
    Issues #71-78 = $5 each
    Issue #79 - $8
    Issue #80 - $15

which gives you about $218... if you wanted to round it down, make it $200. If you have the various mini-series (HM, Movie etc) then maybe add additional $20-25 on.

There's your ballpark (as you point out, depending on condition): $200 - 230.

Now, a complete UK run (of which I'm the proud owner :thumbs2: ) would be considerably more, simply because its rarer outside the UK and the sheer number of issues (over 350 inc. all the specials).