G1 Transformer Icons for your car

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by cosmic_d, Oct 17, 2007.

1. cosmic_d

cosmic_d Great Galactic Water Fowl

I have always wanted to trick out my car to look like a big G1 toy. So I learned how to make magnetic vehicle signs and made Autobot and Decepticon symbols for myself. Now I am making more for anybody that wants them.

The magnets are G1 style traditional Autobot red & Decepticon purple on a white background. They are both 12 inches tall. Perfect for display on a car hood or door. The magnets are made of outdoor display vinyl and are vehicle safe so they won't harm a car's finish. You can check them out at [EBAY]290170971944[/EBAY]and here [EBAY]290170972510[/EBAY].

I also have some 4 inch fridge magnets made of the same material for anybody unwilling to display their bot obsession in public. :eek:  [EBAY]290169983172[/EBAY]

The previous listing sold very well. To those of you that purchased last time, thank you and enjoy! And if you didn't buy, here's a second chance to see what you're missing. If all goes well I am looking into creating more TF themed auto accessories. Take a look at what I have to offer and let me know what you think. Questions are always welcome.

2. teepo112

teepo112 Well-Known Member

wow those are nice man, i'd get one but im afraid i'll get jacked and i know it will happen

3. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

oooooooooOoooooooo. I like these!

Is the paint pretty weather resistant, or does it fade or chip easily?

4. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Received it in the mail; looks good. The second tape piece peeled off most unfortunately so sticky residue is left on the magnet. I will attempt to remove with acetone/rubbing alcohol tonight. I'll have to check the web to see if that's a 'no-no,' unless you can tell me the best way to remove it.

Have you done any speed tests yet? My average speed on our Phoenix highways is 75. Do you think the magnet will fly off at such speeds?

5. cosmic_d

Sorry to read that. I can sympathize. I travel a lot at night. Since the signs are magnetic I will pull mine off and store it in the trunk out of sight when in the less savory parts of the city.

==========
    These signs are made of outdoor display vinyl. No paint involved. The color will not fade and it is moisture resistant. Vinyl will shrink and peel with age, but not for years. Also the life span of vinyl can be easily extended if it's stored out of the elements when not in use. My first prototype is over 5 years old and still in use. I also keep my sign in the trunk when I park my car at the end of the day.

If people keep buying my signs, I will keep making more.
    Questions are always welcome.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Have you considered doing a Barricade police shield version?

7. Neuco

Neuco Well-Known Member

"Easy to apply and remove."

That's too bad, as I live in Philly, and I'm sure this will get stolen off my car if I dared apply it.

8. cosmic_d

I'm glad you like it and thank you. Removing sticky residue is quite simple. I use a citrus oil solution to clean the magnets. Elmer's Sticky Out is the specific brand I keep on hand. Put some on the residue and rub it in for a second then let it set for a minute. Scrub off the solution with a paper towel. You might have to repeat these steps to get all the gummy stuff off, but it will come out and is much safer to use than solvents.

I regularly travel a stretch of I-80 and the speed limit is also 75. Usually I drive at 80 mph and my sign has held up just fine on the hood of my car. Just remember that all of the magnet's surface has be in contact with the car. If the sign gets a little warped just put it on a flat, warm surface or in the sun for about hour. This will soften the rubber and it will lie flat naturally again.

9. cosmic_d

That's too bad. I can understand that. Whenever I'm downtown or in a parking garage, I put my sign in the trunk.

10. cosmic_d

I agree Barricade would be cool. However it takes time to make the templates for these signs. All the details needed to cut out individual letters is beyond my means right now. I am saving up to buy more cost effective tools to cut the vinyl. So the more people buy, the faster I can make better stuff.

11. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I use Goo-Gone when I need take glue off anything but what ever chemical you use to remove the glue make sure that you wash the magnet with soap. The last thing you want is the chemical reacting to the paint of the car. Speaking of magnets I've had mine on the car since BotCon 06 (drove home to Va. with it) and haven't had a problem.

12. cosmic_d

Good point. Always keep the magnet and car surface clean to prevent damage to the paint finish.