"G1" trademarks and whether Hasbro can currently use them or not

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/trademarks/g1_trademarks_intro.php

Many Advocaticons had to die to get this done. :D 

NOTE: Please don't ask me for the status of names of toys Hasbro haven't done upgrades/homages of in the past five or so years. If Hasbro haven't even TRIED to use a name, I can't say for sure whether the name is currently available or not. So please no questions about "Kup", "Twin Twist", "Getaway" etc.

Also, please don't bother telling me "dood, Animated will have Blitzwing" or "There will be an Octane toy in Classics 2.0!" I know about those. When the toys come out, I will add them to the respective sections.

Aside from that, any corrections, suggestions and other comments are welcome. :) 

2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    In regards to Bumblebee, rumors in 2005 were that Hasbro had hoped to use the name "bumblebee" on a minicon two pack. Since Sparkplug (who also shares a great number of visual cues with Bumblebee) had repeatedly been seen sold seperate from Super Prime, it was largely assumed to be a repaint of him. Not sure if that really quantifies

But with Shockwave, Hasbro just released a new rendition of the old GI Joe character this year in the 8" Combat Squad line. His name features a "TM" after it.

3. Scourge

Scourge I shall rise again

Wow that was an awesome read very comprensive Never Good job and thanks for all the work you do for the community

4. optimus1

optimus1 Well-Known Member

Not a bad read

5. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Added "Codename: Shockwave". Also added another suggestion by an Allspark user, "Autobot Wheeljack" (presumably an error) listed on the back of the KB G1 Spy Changers' packaging.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I know we haven't see in a while.....

Hot Rod
    Whelie
    Kup
    Trailbreaker
    Dragstrip (Was replaced with Decepticharge)
    Ratbat

as for we know they will be using Slag in Animated and Elita 1 is useable in TFTM and we can still use BB and Shockwave now The Had Robot Heroes,Animated Classics,TFTM figures so we can gurantee they'll be staying in a long time.

7. Nevermore

News Credits:
    You, erm, did read everything before just posting a few random names?

Also, do we have ANY proof that Decepticharge was ever actually supposed to be named "Drag Strip" at any point, other than early fan speculation upon seeing the first test shot yelling "DRAGSTRIP!!!111111oneone"?

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Actually I believe it was meant to be Wildrider, as Decepticharge has his G2 colours in addition to the number 4, which was Wildrider's number on the Stunticons.

I personally believe (no proof though) that Decepticharge was a working name (Decepticon Windcharger) that they stuck with because Honda and Hasbro couldn't agree on another name. There was talk that Dragstrip was thrown out because of its street racing connatations, something Honda was against, but of course there is no record from Hasbro that actually says as much directly.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks for putting that together, that's a great resource. There is a lot of very interesting information in there, and it's clear that a LOT of research and digital legwork went into it. It's quite interesting seeing the various machinations that Hasbro went through to retain certain names, and the almost accidental way it retained others.

There were definitely a lot of things in there that I didn't know, and I feel like a more informed fan now. :) 

Thanks!

10. Nevermore

News Credits:
    TFArchive staff member Clay alerted me to an interesting tidbit about "Ravage". Not only did the instructions for the TRU Soundwave reissue call him "Ravage" despite the name being featured as "Battle Ravage" on the packaging... the instructions actually featured a circled "R" after his name, as in "registered". The packaging for the Wal*Mart exclusive Alternator (the Jaguar) was the same. Only problem here is that Hasbro don't have the name registered! Apparently someone spotted the error, because it was fixed in the Alternator's instructions which feature his name as "RavageTM". The packaging for the Robot Heroes Figure also sports a TM claim after the name, which would confirm that it was an error.

11. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    It's Autovolt127. Does any of this really surprise you?