Customs: g1 tracks fix?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by koyodude, Jan 3, 2007.

1. koyodude

koyodude Member

Ebay:
    just got my original g1 tracks and he has "springy" legs that dont want to stay closed in car mode. I hear that this is a common problem. Has anyone figured out a good fix?
    thanks

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I had this problem with one of my Tracks' legs. It's been a while now, and I don't remember the details exactly, but when I opened up the leg with a screwdriver, it seems that a thin metal plate that was supposed to exert pressure against the spring had snapped. I think the metal had just become brittle, and one of the tabs snapped. I tried to re-align it, and I think I crammed a little something in there to keep the tension on (like maybe some tape or a bit of rubber). The leg works alright now, and stays closed in car mode.

I recommend you open 'em up, and take a look. You'd be surprised how many problems can be fixed with a bit of exploration. :) 

zmog

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Do doubt. My Classics Megs clicked too loudly ( it's only loud when it's 4 am , and Im trying to transform him while everyones sleeping) so I took him apart and took out those little orange tabs that were inlined with the gears. Now he's stealthy.

Sometimes you can take apart loose bots, and wedge little pieces of cardboard or whatever in certain places, and reassemble for tighter movements

Tempetd to dissect them all now for little tweaks. Good luck with that Tracks.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Too right. I used a little bit of sellotape on my Tracks' legs; worked like a charm.

5. jamz

jamz Repaint! Repaint! Repaint TFW2005 Supporter

me too!

I have repaired two of these and disassembled two more for repainting . In my case the metal clip which applies tension to the black (upper leg) part was slightly bent but not broken. I had to gently push it back into shape, then it worked fine.

You just need to have enough tenstion on the clip to hold the legs into position. it doesn't take much.

It's a pretty simple repair. If you get into trouble I'll disassemble mine and take a picture for you.

6. koyodude

koyodude Member

Ebay:
    thanx

hey thanks guys. i'll have to give all of those a try.

7. OneShallFall

OneShallFall Active Member

I am having the same problem.I took the screw out of his leg,but I cannot get it to come apart.Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong?This is my first attempt at dissassembling a figure and dont want to wreck my Tracks.Any info would be appreciated.Thank you

8. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  9. thecypher0

thecypher0 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There are actually two screws in the leg...both in the metal but one is hidden under the red sticker on the metal above his foot. Once you have both screws out it comes apart easily

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  10. OneShallFall

OneShallFall Active Member

This I finally figured out.I wrecked a sticker(that is what reprolabels are for) in the process,but now my Tracks displays nicely.Thank you for your reply.