G1 toys, your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 46+2, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I like G1 toys, but only really care about those dating from 1987-1989.

2. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wasn't born in the age of G1, and I certainly have little interest in many of the figures due to just flat out being outdated and expensive. To me, they hold no childhood memories or nostalgia that many of the fans here certainly have. I got into Transformers during Armada and I can say that even though I do have fond childhood memories I can point at the toyline today and laugh at how bad some of the molds were compared to what came before.

With that said, G1 Predaking is sex.

3. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    <<< name

4. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

One of the things about movie toys though, even though they have realistic alt modes again, they are often broken up all over with gaps where they transform. The less parts you have, the more of a brick the robot mode is, but it also means the alt mode looks so much better.

With the early G1s, the gaps on the alt modes are more intuitive. You have gaps at the edge of a bonnet, or around the edge of a door, which makes sense for a real vehicle too. A seam running right through the middle of a bonnet, or like a jigsaw pattern over the whole toy... not so much. And a pleasant side effect of this is that you can see easily see what vehicle a robot turns into, because vehicle parts are left mostly intact, but rearranged in the shape of a robot.

Unfortunately, these days that is called "kibble" and looked down upon. :( 

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I'm the exact same, right down to Armada being the TF series that got me hooked. And while my collection only has like, seven actual G1 figures (two of them being Re-issues from 2003, no less), I like to use them as a comparison point as to show how far Transformers have come.

Plus, I have an original 1987 Sixshot, who to me is a vessel of some fond memories indeed. Not from childhood, but from Botcon 2008 where I bought him, and thus he is valuable to me even though there are G1 TF's who generaly have more articulation than him.

6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Hmmm.. I'd say that's only partially true. Take for example ROTF deluxe Sideways : robotmode is 100% movie verse style, but the altmode looks extremely neat, no intrusive panel lines or anything like that.

Then take G1 styled Universe Ironhide/Ratchet ; great looking robot mode, but the diagonal panel lines on the altmode just kill it for me.

Or how about the huge gaps on the G1 seekers ? All in all, I don't think we can generalize either generation of TF's too much.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quite simply, there has never been a better TF toyline.

I love my original Transformers - for me they ARE "The Transformers", and though I marvel and whistle to show my impressed appreciation at all the latest super-duper offerings from Hasbro, in my heart I know none hold a torch to the originals.

They have better articulation, more complex transformations etc... which is all well and good, and i love my modern TFs, but one thing they're lacking is an unidentifiable "X" Factor... maybe it's just a pure, innocent "soul" that the original toyline had in abundance.

Yeah, yeah ,blast me for being a geewunner or whatever, but I'm allowed my opinion as much as the next TF nerd.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

As a 35 year old, I grew up with them in the 80's and I loved'em up till the Headmaster/Targetmaster era.
    Right now, I don't have enough G1 toy's! :D 

9. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I only like them because I'm 32 years old and was in the prime of my childhood toy playing days when G1 was all there was. Other than the nostalgic charm and great memories I have of them I don't think they're anything special compared to what they're making now, but considering G1 toys are 25 years old I think it's like comparing apples to oranges.

10. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am 33 and g1 was the heart of what started it for me. specfically 84 and 85. So much so that this is my new display in my bedroom.

[​IMG]

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll be more than happy to take any off of your hands.
    :) 

12. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Dont own any mach! I used to when i was like 5-7. I remember my older bro's jetfire being awesome! he was like dont touch my stuff!!My dad finally bought me sky lynx for my b-day that year. They were the best back then but I dont feel that way today. I'm gonna have to get myself one. Maybe to introduce my boy to tfs!

13. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

I like G1 toys as nostalgia. They're where it all started.

Though I do hate the mentality that they are the best Transformers have ever been and ever will be. That's just delusional.
    Even if you legitimately don't really care for anything new, trying to say the G1 toys are superior is just someone trying to strong arm their subjective opinion as a general fact, when what they really are just doing is talking bias nonsense.

G1 toys still rock! But they are old rock.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    And you expressed it articulately, calmly, and without resorting to slagging of other lines.
    Thank you.

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I love G1. I grew up on it so nostalgia is my first reason. The first two seasons are my favorite, despite me loving the Galvatron character most of all. Since we're talking about the toys, I can tell you why I like them the best. Realistic alt modes. I like the fact that in vehicle mode, they could pass as toy cars, a microscope, or a tape player. Loved the disguise part. I got out of transformers when I hit puberty and didn't get back into them until I started watching BW. That got me back into the show. It wasn't until RID hit the shelves that I got back into buying the toys. I liked the realistic alt modes of the car brothers. I didn't care for the "shell former" transformations, but they grew on me. Armada to Animated, the toys don't interest me because the alt modes aren't realistic. We got some more realistic alt modes with the movies, but the aesthetic isn't that great. I buy them though because I like the realistic alt modes. That's the charm of G1 for me.

16. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    They are not my primary interest or focus, Though there is many I like.
    I prefer items made since the 90's for the most part.

17. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    It's the blockiness/brickiness of G1, isn't it? :lol 

Sure toy design has progressed a hell of long way since 1984 (or should I say since Microman/Diaclone) but for me personally, G1 will always have a special place among my TF shelves. I don't know what it is exactly - growing up with them, the cartoon, Making me feel like a kid again in this 29 year old body... :) 

18. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Some G1 TOYS Are awesome to me.

Shockwave
    Jetfire
    Megatron
    Predaking

just to mention a few.

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I still adore the (Micromaster) Decepticon Military Patrol.
    Bombshock rocks!