G1 toys, your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 46+2, Feb 27, 2010.

1. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

While I have many memories of my childhood tfs, I just hate them now. I feel wrong saying this as a tf collecter. What are your thoughts on g1 toys? I think they are horrible and would never spend money on them.

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i love them, the simplicity of the transformations, the realistic vehicles, design style, the characters, new toys are nice, but don't have the same appeal to kids, try giving a rotf prime to a kid and see what happens with it, more play value with g1s imo

that being said, i love animated, c/u/g alts and mps, not so much movie toys, but that's more personal taste in asthetics

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    How old is the kid were giving a ROTF Prime to? I can barely transform that thing.

G1 toys are great. I agree they don't have as much play value, but they are a thing of beauty.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I don't see why you should feel wrong saying that you don't like G1 toys; it's your choice and you shouldn't be ashamed of it.
    Personally, I absolutely love them. There's just something about even the worst G1 toy that appeals to me on some level.

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My "G1" Transformers were bought before they were known as G1, just Transformers. I still love them because nothing that has followed would have been possible without them.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Having grew up playing with the original G1 figures that belonged to my brother, and have some of the Reissues, I personally like them. Sure, they don't have any articulation, but they are IMHO collectibles.

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

This is true. I gave my daughter the ice cream twins and she cries evrytime they split. Limbs break off easily too. G1 toys are definitely more kid durable.

8. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel your pain because its happening to me right now. I love some G1 toys but I think i'm about to dump my Season 2-3 toys and just keep the original Characters. Which is something i've already started doing. I purchased the Henkei Seekers with the money made from selling my G1 Seekers. Same thing for most of the G1 Autobot cars that were released under Classics/Henkei brand.

honestly, I'm coming to a point where I might just want to keep my MP figures. My MP-04 Prime just showed up in the mail and wow... no other figure comes close.

9. AMG

AMG Old School

I love G1 toys, it's what I grew up on. No matter how many TFs I own now as an adult, my G1 collection is still my go to toys when I want to transform some bots. They're well made, look great and are still the most fun to fiddle with for me.

10. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I think I'm gonna make it a point to pick up at least 1 g1 reissue by the end of this year. I base my opinions on current pics of g1 toys. Its been about 22 years since I held a g1 toy.

11. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

I was born near the end of G1 (1987) so I don't have many memories of them exept having springer (The reason he is my favourite G1 character and why I bought FP Defender) so most of my memories are of beast wars my favourite line of all time.So I'm used to more articulated figures. I ended up buying all the show characters, so for me I respect collecters who buy G1 figures but I'm happy with the classics line...

But remember this no transformers collection is complete without a generation 1 optimus prime...

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So you don't own any G1 Toys? If so, just go after Convoy or soundwave. they are the best G1 has to offer.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Personally I love them. Recently I've been going through my old TF storage with a view to swapping out my current display of modern Transformers with G1 figures. It'll be a more satisfying display than what's there now.
    Sure they may be bricks and are judged harshly when placed against today's molding techniques and joint advances but there's still something classy about the old guys. I don't care if it's due to nostalgia but if I had to choose between today's TF and keeping my old G1 I'd be shot of the newer stuff no hesitating.

14. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I wish we had a TF Toy forum...wait....

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    G1 toys are Meh in my book. Sure I would love a complete collection, but at the going rate, it is just not worth it...

16. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

I love G1s, and if they were all re-released today with no changes, from 1984 to the early 1990s, I'd still buy them all over again.

1984-1986 ish are the best, for the realistic alt modes. The thrill of them was that they fitted in with car toys that didn't transform, which isn't something you can say of later mainline Transformers. Expensive Masterpiece and Binaltech type stuff are the exceptions. For mainline stuff though, I'd rather have a realistic alt mode than compromise that for better articulation. The original selling point of Transformers is that they are "robots in disguise", so I don't want a car that looks like a "Transformers car", I want something that looks like a real car. The diecast parts and chrome might have gone out of vogue these days, but that was one of the things that made you think maybe you were looking at a Tonka or Matchbox kind of toy. That feeling is all gone now.

Bizzarely though, I also love Headmasters, Pretenders through to G2 as well. I guess that's because I grew up during that era. But even then, I knew that the Diaclone type stuff that I had seen via my older brothers, and from the early European reissues, was so much better.

17. sacha88

sacha88 Well-Known Member

I just love the aesthetic of G1, both the cartoon, and the toys. For some reason the simplicity make them more memorable and iconic.

18. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    To me, 1984/1985 G1's are the best. Most of them featured realistic altmodes, die cast parts, chrome apps, detailed sculpts (panels and stuff which don't look like fisher price toys) and rubber wheels. The only thing they lack now is articulation. About durability....I wouldn't hand G1 Wheeljack or Megatron to a small kid ever. Much too breakable.

Everything after 1986 went downhill to me. Lost interest for about 20 years, then movie verse brings me back with realistic altmodes.

19. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I buy G1s every now and then for pure nostalgia. Only the ones I loved as a kid, anyway.
    Overall I rather spend money on the new stuff.

20. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

yeah, yeah...thx debesh.