G1 Toy Yellowing of White Parts

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Galactimus, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactimus

Galactimus I'll Lead, You Follow! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Okay, I'm sure this has been talked about at some point. But I wanted to start a thread that was about how to prevent this from happening.

First off I guess is the question of what causes the yellowing. Is it UV light, heat, or other factors.

Second, does anyone know the type or chemical make-up of the plastics used for G1 toys so we can look up reactions to types of light?

Third, what measures can we take to prevent yellowing.

LMK your thoughts.

I'm also looking for G1 Junker bots that have nice white parts. I want to run a few tests on the parts to see if I can indeed make them yellow under certain conditions. I'm hoping this might give us a clearer picture of what we can do to absolutly prevent the yellowing.

For me yellowing seems to be the biggest problem for my collection. So far it's only happened on one figure, but it's enough to make me want to take drastic measure to make sure it doesn't happen with others. My Fort Max parts are a white as the day they were made, and I want him to stay that way.

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Seal your toys in an airtight container that is not of any sort of transparent plastic, and then store them and never again allow them to see the light of day.

I'm of course being facetious, but quite literally that's about the only thing that will minimize plastic yellowing in older toys, and even then it doesn't guarantee it will prevent it because of the toy's previous history. If you've had it for 20 years already and have had it on display anywhere, it's going to have some yellowing.

I've had a G1 Jetfire since it was first released and it was in storage for 10 years, and even when I did display it I made sure it was never in direct sunlight. It is showing some signs of moderate yellowing, but it's not a big deal to me. It's in far better shape than many other Jetfires I've seen on ebay and elsewhere on the web.

You'll also find a very nice article on this below, which I found through a simple google search for "preventing toys from yellowing":

http://actionfigures.about.com/library/stuff/ucmatt-yellowplastic.htm

:google 

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What I'm amazed about is that over the years, some white plastics yellow, and other white plastic under the same conditions doesn't. So, I think when all things are equal, it must come down to the quality of the plastic itself. It's why some white plastics that even receive no light in storage even manage to yellow. I think the best you can do is it to keep all plastics, white or otherwise out of sunlight. Even indirect sunlight. Make sure too any display lights don't have a strong UV transmission. If anyone ever develops a clear protective coating for plastics, he/she will make a mint.

4. betetta

betetta guitar face

i have a small room with several shelves for my collection, it's permanently closed and isolated from any trace of sunlight, but there are ocasions where i spend a couple of hours in there reorganizing my collection and i'm currently using a white lightbulb to iluminate that room, now the question is: which kind of electric light would be safer to prevent yellowing? white or yellow?

5. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

6. Backscatter

News Credits:
  7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So what it comes down to, is that sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do, apart from a temperature-controlled vacuum-sealed lightless vault, and even that won't make them last forever.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always thought my SNES was like that because my sister spilt beer on it and my parents smoked (while it probably contributed). How wrong I was. Good read.

9. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Rubber tires and white plastic: two bad things about prolonged TF collecting.

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

this is something that bugs the tar out of me. I absolutely HATE white transformers fort his reason yet it seems to be one of hasbro/takars favorite colors!

11. Backscatter

News Credits:
    Yep, rubber tires that split that aren't even in use totally bites.

12. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do the tires on G1 Optimus Prime split? Will it happen to Masterpiece Prime?

13. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

The only vintage white TF I have is Ultra Magnus. He's in my living room. The shades are pulled all the time. The only light it gets is artifical and not usually very bright.

Now I'm paranoid. One of my favorite toys might yellow :( 

14. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Fluoresents cause yellowing too? Damn. So much for all of the CFLs I have around. Time to look to LED lights I think.

15. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I've had my G1 Jetfire displayed every single day since I bought it.....well it's over 5 years now and he hasn't yellowed once. I have a RID Ultra Mags that I had in a storage bin wrapped in bubble wrap and in a plastic bag for who knows how long, years, and his trailer got yellowed. For me, there is no ryhme or reason why they get yellowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.