G1 Toy Catalogs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jorod74, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I miss them. that simple. ALL those figures in one foldout, both sides full.

I kinda wish they would bring that back, but i am left puzzled. the '84 catalog was a decent handful and seemed not too hard to possibly get all the figures.
    but man, that '85 catalog (and the ones after) was awesome and yet depressing.

how did a kid expect to keep up with that many?
    and i'd love to know (since i never could tell or wasn't aware) if these were released in waves.
    even so, there was no idea when what was coming out.

these days a massive catalog like that 85 one, would be cool for the lines we have now. at least separated by release date, like 1rst quarter, 2nd quarter, etc.

we get the occasional inserts now, but they are limited to current waves or listing other toy lines.

anyone else wish these made a comeback?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I totally agree, but then again, I miss the label sheets and the photo instructions from '84 as well :lol 

3. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    Ahhh... the good ole days when you opened the box and pooof the catalog was there for you to slobber over (of course after you had many hours of enjoyment playing with your TF):drool:  I totally agree with you bring back catalogs!!

4. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Man that takes me back, I spent so much time drooling over the catalogs when I was a kid. I'd love to see the catalogs come back.

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know much about G1 catalogues, but Japanese BW series catalogues were quite good, too, with VS sets and such. I suppose a smaller lineup is definitely an advantage.

6. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    I have some Japanese catalogs from 1986- 88 some where if I can find them I'll post them up here.

7. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Ah I luv those old catalogues. Just got me a '89 Micromasters/Pretenders one last week. Those catalogues have made me hunt TFs on ebay for many days on end... :lol  Todays' TF catalogues suck in comparison to the old stuff. Down with the glossy catalogues of today. More of the simplistic vintage catalogues from the old days! :D 

8. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    It'll be more paper efficient, if such catalogs do not return in paper form ; instead, high rez PDF download from the Hasbro website. if there isn't such a thing already....

9. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to stare at those things for hours!!! Just dreaming about getting all of them!! Half of them I never even saw in stores!! But still...those things were awesome!!

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I miss the catalogues as well. Now we just get the crappy cross-sells on the base of the packaging. If you're in the UK like me, they only serve to enrage you when you see what we're not getting. Then again, that was true in 1984 as well :lol 

11. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

Definitely miss the catalogs; poring over those was almost as fun as cracking open a new Transformer back in the day.
    It's the one thing I don't like about buying G1 reissues; no catalog with them showing the TF's original line-up.

12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Cybertron figures came with essentially a catelog for a good portion of the year.

The difference today is that toys are released throughout the year. Back then, the whole years worth of toys came out around the same time & were on shelves for the year. Today, the shelf-life of a toy is a few months. After that, new toys take it's place. Since the catelogs are advertising, it makes no sense to promote something that won't be out for months or something that has left the shelf already.

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think the old toys came out in waves in the same way they do now. I'm pretty sure there weren't assortment cases of size classes at least- figures were ordered on a more individual level. That's what I've gathered from reading stuff here anyway.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I loved them, and still have a good selection, but it was also a real bummer when we'd get American stock turn up in shops and there'd be a US catalogue enclosed featuring loads of figures we were never going to get here in the UK.

I think the internet has now replaced the catalogues when it comes to seeing what else is available.

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah, the internet has killed off some of the neater aspects of the old days.

i never knew what the heck was coming out. i didn't know of any toy-themed magazines and newspapers didn't have TF headlines. it seems bizarre, but you had to buy a figure to get the catalog just to know what the hell was out there,

i saw Omega Supreme in the catalog and didn't believe it could be real. Then...i stumbled across one in a Walmart and my Christmas that year just exploded!!

really, we get teased here at TFW a lot with new stuff. but it is in little doses and not the same.
    i can live with it, i suppose.

16. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's funny, I also collect Lego, and they still put out new catalogs every six months, which I still pick up and check out. Before internet, I used to totally drool over those catalogs same as I would over the Transformers catalogs. But nowadays, pictures of new Lego sets get leaked months in advance same as they are for Transformers, and the new catalogs hardly ever contain surprises any more. The internet is pretty handy, but it has really taken a lot of the fun out of that drooling over a single massive and always surprising influx of new plastic goodness (both Transformers and Lego). I guess if modern Transformers would still contain catalogs, they would equally be underwhelming.

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I used to stare at those tiny pictures. I didn't have a hope of getting them all. I remember one time a kid brought one of these sheets to summer camp, and we all ended up looking over it and talking about how great transformers were and pointing out which figures we had.

The airbrushed space battles on the back of the package were similarly awesome.

18. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Those were artwork! Would be real nice if we saw something similar for the classics stuff.

19. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I know, but they did tend to go a bit heavy with the old airbrush. It was kinda tacky, but as a kid I totally loved it.

High Moon Studios did some absolutely delicious WFC promotional art in tribute to those old scenes.

[​IMG]

It's a shame they can't put them on cardbacks anymore, because I'm sure it would blow kids minds much the same way as it did for me back in the day. Nowadays it's all about the business of selling the toy with multi-lingual write-ups of the different features.

They don't have the room to be awesome just for the sake of it anymore.

20. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I've always found it interesting how, if you convert those prices from 1984 dollars to 2011 dollars, many of those vintage figures cost as much then as their reissues do now. :)