Minor/Repaint: G1 toon backgrounds

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OptimusTimelord, Mar 25, 2014.

1. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Great stuff man. The art on these is very good. The close-up shot of Cybertron in particular is very cool. My 8 year old self thinks these would be awesome as wall posters.

2. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Timelord, those are SWEET......and I mean all of 'em! Even those first images are great. I needed some new backgrounds!

3. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Would love to see how they look!
    I've seen that great thread of yours Ryoku :thumb  But I think it's probably best to keep G1 and FOC backgrounds separate so they can be their own thing. If you want to post a link in there go ahead :) 
    Well the first three images exist in very high res (I've had them printed as posters and they look good), so if anyone wants them I might have to email them because of file size. The rest haven't been upscaled to the same extent, but again, my files are by default bigger than can be shown here.
    Hmmm I don't have any saved, but I will scan through a few episodes and see if I can find some...

4. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    A good idea to continue this project :) 
    Cheers guys. I'd love to see official posters or high quality prints of the original artwork. Heck, there are hundreds of painted backgrounds throughout the cartoon, probably enough to fill a book!

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    These are the kind of things I'd like to see showing up in a big glossy TF artbook.
    My eight-year-old self agrees (although I was eight two years before Transformers hit). But he would also like little Transformer character cut-outs he could stick to the backgrounds a'la the old 'Stick and Lift' and transfer packs (ignore the tracing set):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    ^ Wow, those Stick n Lift backgrounds were really bad :lol  They should have just used the art made for the toon! Probably copyright reasons why they couldn't though.

Anyway, some more images:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. MinerEdgar

MinerEdgar Well-Known Member

Gotta love those shots of Cybertron.

8. Priest of Salem

Priest of Salem Well-Known Member

This thread is really making me appreciate G1 more than ever.

If you have the time op,I'd love to see some shots of the weird looking planets from season 3.

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I love how you can see the white Prime cab inside Magnus in that first shot. Made my day.

As far as the backgrounds go, these would make for some great themed displays. My printer is gonna hate me very soon.

10. SureShotSniper

SureShotSniper What?!

News Credits:
    Excellent shots. Thanks!

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    If only they were hi-res enough to be printed and used as display backdrops - wouldn't that be something?

...also, does anyone else start humming the incidental music from the show when looking these over? You know, the one that goes like "DUUUUUUNNN DUUUUUUUNNN DUN-DU-DU-DUUUUUUNNN"?

12. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They're my faves too :) 
    I never sorted through S3 or the movie for images, but the reaction in this thread makes me want to do it!
    Yeah this is about as good as it gets without manual tinkering like in the first poster shots. Doesn't help that the DVDs were encoded really poorly too so getting clear frames without compression artifacts isn't easy :( 

13. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Yeah, and you can forget about getting the series on blu-ray - nevermind that most blu-ray applications don't even allow you to take screenshots, but the fact that the only version of the series on film (which would provide us with more than just a glorified upscale) is the one riddled with animation errors that Rhino used for their DVDs back in the day.

14. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well animation errors wouldn't matter too much in this case, since I'm deliberately trying to avoid animated characters and focusing on the backgrounds. Often this means removing cell artwork by judicious overlapping of frames.

For example, this is a panning shot where the background simply cannot be extrapolated because none of the characters move: (caption "No, mister Hound, I expect you to die!")
    [​IMG]
    Whereas this one originally had Ravage running across it:
    [​IMG]
    And this had Brawn, Bumblebee and Spike walking into shot (from 'The Ultimate Doom'):
    [​IMG]
    I tried to find interiors of the Nemesis where the background was recoverable, but there only seem to be close ups of computer screens etc. This is the best wide shot I could get. It pans right as Megatron walks across:
    [​IMG]
    So what I've done here is to use the clone tool and some digital painting to fill in the areas as I imagine they might look. I've also touched up the rest of the image:
    [​IMG]
    And another random Cybertronian cityscape :) 
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Cadbane

Cadbane Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for sharing! Although my detolf is too packed to see anything behind the toys LOL

16. Sludge

Sludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh man! This is awesome! Thanks so much for posting these! Do you know how large these can be printed?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  17. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    :lol  You must have a lot in there!
    No probs. Only the first three were made with printing in mind (and now the Nemesis interior too) but to be effective you really need the original large files. To give you an idea how they look, these are 40" poster prints:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other standard screen grabs have been upped to 200 resolution but would still be a bit blurry if printed off that big. No physical reason why you can't though :) 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    You need to upload the full size versions somewhere. Archive them as PNGs to minimize compression artefacting - hopefully, since the DVDs aren't exactly free of them as it is...

19. Peter Welker

Peter Welker Vector Sigma

Keep 'em coming OptimusTimelord.
    It is so appropriate to view these G1 backgrounds in 2014, the 30th anniversary of Transformers G1. :) :D :cool: :dj :thumb 

20. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    1. No Insults, Trolling, Flaming, Name Calling, Harassing, Etc.
    We will not tolerate insults, excessive profanity or throwing a topic off course. Use of racial or bigoted terms is not accepted. Posts intended solely to antagonize others are not accepted. Keep topics/posts where they belong. Generally, “play nice”. ~Superquad7

OT, PM incoming on backgrounds, great work again.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014