G1 to newer fans

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus Primal, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Being someone who grew up with G1, I wonder what new fans think of it. Is it the old superior original show/comics/toys that you wished you were old enough to grow up with or is it old timer news? This isn't to cause a flamewar but just curious what newer fans know and think about G1.

2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure there's a mixture of reactions, like there is with any comparable franchises. Some new fans will be interested and want to learn more; some will have general respect but indifference to getting further invested in G1; some will probably see it as a bit of an embarrassment or even actively dislike it (often to appear edgy and controversial on websites such as this, rather than any genuine hatred).

A similar experience for me, I guess, is my growing up with Star Trek: TNG and DS9 (I was ten when I first saw TNG). I was of course aware of the original 1960s series (had seen the movies) but - even though I knew without it I wouldn't have "my" Trek - I wasn't that bothered about catching up on those old episodes. To me, they were not that easy on the eyes, oft-cringeworthy etc.

So, although I respected and appreciated what it was for its time (and still do), and the fact that it started a 43-year phenomenon, it was never "my" Star Trek and I never made an attempt to make it so.

I suspect many children - inspired by The Clone Wars - are also considering how, if at all, they'll bother with the original Star Wars movies.

One point to make about TF which is different than the above examples - Transformers G1 covers all manner of sins, and even G1 fans don't often bother with it all e.g. I love the Marvel comics and the toys, but couldn't give two figs about that cartoon. Whereas others - the majority I expect- worship the cartoon but are indifferent to the comics, for example.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I could see new fans being generally happy with the old cartoons and comics as the format for those hasn't really changed that much, but the outdated technology of the G1 toys would probably be the point it would fail most kids these days.

4. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    yeah even as kid i knew alot of the toys could of been better. cept jazz he had an awsome head scuplt for back then, rubber tires an actual paint job. dam i just decided my next custom:D  to me g1is g1 cartoon g2,bw, all the japan series, marvel idw and dreamwave comics, and when i am playing the2007 movie game as g1 optimus or megs im back in 1984:rock . i guess i never stopped being a fan thats why i like so much. still need to watch rid though

5. sacha88

sacha88 Well-Known Member

I first watched through all of G1 last year and loved it. I just find the aesthetic the most appealing for some reason. G1 and Animated are my favourite TF shows.

6. Vector Squidma

Vector Squidma Smalltime Casual

News Credits:
    Well you can check out my review thread in my sig for a more in depth look at what I think of each episode, but so far, I think it's pretty fun. Really, G1 strikes me (to use an INCREDIBLY nerdy biology metaphor) as sort of the "Cambrian Explosion" of the Transformers franchise, in which various story concepts were constantly generated and tested much like various different forms of life were created during the Cambrian era. Some of those story concepts were picked up on and refined during later series, while others never caught on and subsequently went extinct.

It's very much a rough hodgepodge of various concepts and ideas (probably having to do with its very large pool of writers), but the POTENTIAL for greatness is there, and that potential was definitely latched onto in future series.

7. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I find G1 to be probably the worst Transformers Series outside Energon. While the recent comics start to the series justice most of the toys were not representative of the show, which was downright terrible in consistency, accuracy, and production values. Most of the toys are bricks and simplistic, lacking a consistent style due to way the first Transformers were pulled from many lines. The movie was a horrid mix of bad acting, animation errors, along with story and pacing issues (killing off the kiddies favorites to force an ever crappier cast down on them? Not to mention they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn until this movie...). Then came the toys after that, being less realistic, cheaper, with clashing and disgusting neon color schemes.

That said, I came into the series from Armada, and later didn't get serious until I saw ROTF. Granted I loath both now, but it's what got me into collecting. My favorite TF shows are Beast Wars, Beast Machines, and Animated, with my favorite line being Animated for the time being. Beast Wars kept is sheen despite its aged CGI because of excellent characterization, story, and action. G1 couldn't rope me in like that because of the standards I grew up with. I have no nostalgic reference to any transformers series outside of Armada, which I soon grew to dislike, so it's hard for me to forgive the flaws I perceive given any of the older series. I realize that I am comparing today's standards to the tech we had 20 years ago, but like I said its hard not to due to never growing up in the period.

Anyway, while I do dislike most of G1, I respect the series, characters, and toys like mad. They were the foundations of following series and thus much of the lore is based upon it. While going back and viewing these past series, it gives me a greater appreciation for the newer ones as well (like Animated being homage-tastic), and in return, a new found respect for the oldies. Sometimes I grow annoyed with the fandom here because of the way they want everything to relate or be remade from G1. The people spouting about how they want War for Cybertron to be G1 when it is not, or when the classics line doesn't remake old toy # 23434234, it sometimes grinds my gears. And I will never understand the fascination with the seekers since they're all just blatant repaints with various powers and characters scribbled over them. But hey, that's just me. I think that it's wonderful that Transformers is so large and diverse so that it allows different people to enjoy different things.

With that said, G1 Predaking is my favorite combiner ever and Soundwave is just awesome.

I hope I answered your question. I'm in the minority around here though, but being a fairly recent older collector I figured I could give some helpful input. =P

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i grew up with beast wars and it was around 2003-2004 that i got into g1 for the first time with the purchase of the movie on vhs.....lets just say with 20th anniversary optimus prime that christmas and that summer of research, it became a love of mine haha

9. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    starting out with bw must of been fun that cgi still looks good now!

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One of the big differences between the G1 cartoon and well lets face it every other TF cartoon, is the G1 cartoon was episodic. There was no over arching story arc that drove the season (Heck back then cartoons really didnt' have a "season" just a bunch of episodes that aired every weekday morning/afternoon). Like most cartoons from the 80's the show was the vehicle to sell toys. Thus you could watch episode 5 after watching episodes 30 - 45 and not miss anything.

11. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    I suppose I could be considered a newer fan- born mid-G2 and started (somewhat) with Beast Wars but didn't really get into it until Armada.

The original cartoon series has its ups and downs. I think that Animated was more consistent with quality, however, it never had quite a high point as the original animated movie, which beats the Bay live action films any day.

It's definitely more up than down to me, but there are episodes like Child's Play. *shudders*

12. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I showed G1 episodes to a couple of my nephews a year or so ago when they were 4 and 5 and they loved it. They also liked the 86 movie alot and thinks its neat that Megs turned into a gun.

13. Rodimus Primal

Interesting. So its a mixed bag. I've been following the "review every ep" as much I can. I've been showing G1 to some newer friends who didn't grow up with it and they love it. Not as much as I do but still.

It does have its ups and downs but G1 is king for me, with Beast Wars second.

14. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I grew up during Beast Wars, but I show respect to G1 because of how it made everything else in Transformers what it is now. G1 is not the best series, IMO, but it provides us with something to fall back on during times when Hasbro's new series isn't quite ready yet. There will always be Classics, Universe, Generations toys, etc. as well as the comics. G1 is far from over, and Hasbro always shows it a bit of love once in a while with reissues and redesigns of the characters.

15. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

In no way is the G1 cartoon superior to ANYTHING.

16. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I was a fan of the G1 TV series but never got any of the toys. Saw TFTM, it did not have much of an impact on me, saw ROTF, was more impressed, started collecting the toys, and that rekindled my love for the G1 TV series. Strange, huh? :) 

17. Rodimus Primal

You REALLY hate G1 huh?

18. Vla

Vla Well-Known Member

I'm a newer fan (since 2006), and G1 cartoon is below-average for me. Worst graphics quality among other TF series (especially amount of animation and coloring errors); more than half of episodes are written pretty poor. I don't hate G1; I just don't think that it's brilliant, and don't treat it as 'my TF'. I pay big attention to G1 only thanks to its popularity in fandom, i.e. big amount of fan arts\fics\talks about this series. Literally, I'm more fan of G1 fanon than canon. G1 is on a third place in my TF series rating, but if it would be not so popular, it would be on the lowest places (except 1986 movie).

19. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've watched all of G1 and I dug it. Sure, it's writing and character development is absolute garbage compared to Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Animated or Prime, but, for the time, it was great. Not to mention toy shows like G1 and He-Man were pretty much there to sell toys and constantly introduced new characters to promote the new toys, and old characters were killed or disappeared because their toys weren't on the shelves. So, it's not really fair to compare G1 to the other TF shows because they were made in a different time where they had to have great writing to survive, or they would be crucified like the Unicron Trilogy. Overall, G1 is probably my third or fourth favourite TF series behind Beast Wars, Animated and Prime. Also, if G1 didn't exist, then neither would TF.

20. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    To know where you are and where you're going, you have to know where you were. lol I've watch about half of G1, and I think G1 still holds up to current transformers. Sure, it is VERY dated, but it still has what it had back in the day.