G1 Throttlebots

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by G1Prowl, Nov 11, 2011.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I was always baffled by the fact that Marvel/Hasbro dropped the ball on this.

There were six Throttlebots and six Season 1 Minibots, yet only one was the same character. Why in the world didn't they have all six Minibots rebuilt into the Throttlebots? For some reason, the US fiction seemed content to kill off characters whereas the Japanese fiction would have said characters rebuilt in some shape or form.

Thoughts? Also, given this line of logic, who would have been rebuilt into whom?

2. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

I was always baffled at how they even constituted a subgroup in fiction with no apparent specialty or gimmick.

3. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Nowadays this is what Hasbro would do. I think back in the day Hasbro didn't realise just how iconic some of their (Takara's) creations were, and considered them just toys to be sold, and as such they thought that they were replaceable. Just my take on it.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Because there was no "ball" for Hasbro to drop yet at the time.

If you pay attention, you'll notice that Goldbug was the first entirely new Transformers toy ever at the time to be explicitly designed to be a new version of an existing character. The reason why all those characters were killed off in TF:TM and replaced with new characters, which would have new toys, was because Hasbro didn't think in terms of "character" back then. For them, Optimus Prime, Jazz, Skids, Prowl, Huffer, Gears and Beachcomber were all equally "(un)important" in the grand scheme of things. I realized that during my interview with George Dunsay a while back. He still thought more in terms of "product" than "character". Back then, if a new toy was designed to be the same character as a previous toy, that would have been viewed as "unimaginative". "New products = new characters" was the motto.

It wasn't until the backlash following TF:TM that Hasbro realized "Whoops, seems like we actually created characters people care about." Goldbug was the first new toy to be directly designed as an "upgrade" for an older character, and Powermaster Optimus Prime a year later was the first new toy of an existing character to be released under the same name. Next came the Classic Pretenders in 1989, and then about half of the Action Masters lineup in 1990.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I prefer the characters as a whole new cast. I would have liked to seen the other robots rebuilt and upgraded like Bumblebee at some point, though.

Nevermore describes the situation of what happened then best, I think.

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As Nevermore has highlighted, it was a completely different selling model back then.

Nowadays we get "stealth", "nitro", "Rocketpack", "powerlynx" repaints of characters because Hasbro understands the attachment and draw that any one character can bring to sales (ref: bumblebee).

Back then, it was more about range and variety - hence the Decepticon plane mould being used SIX times for SIX different characters in two years. These days, there'd have been a Starscream, MAYBE another character, and then some wacky "cyber-stomping" pink coloured variant of the characters.

Personally, I prefer the "old way" - variety, lots of characters, and the feeling you're getting something "new" (even though Thundercracker really is just the Starscream toy, you feel you're getting a new character, because of the clever marketing and backstory/tech specs).

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    But keep in mind, back in the day you didn't get Legends, Deluxe and Leader Optimus Prime. You got one Optimus Prime, and the other slots were used by Gears, Huffer, Skids and Hoist.

Variety is one thing. Brand recognition is the other side of the coin. Today's model is skewed a little too much towards the "brand recognition" side, but back in the day, it was 100% "variety" with virtually no brand recognition.

8. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I see what you're saying. When I got my first batch of Micromasters, my thoughts were that I basically treated them as Legends class versions of the original characters. Hell, for 20 years or more, I didn't even know Stormcloud or Roadhandler's names. I guess I was the modern market model before it existed.