Minor/Repaint: G1 Themed Energon Optimus Prime Drones

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hippie Trooper, May 9, 2011.

1. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    I love the Energon Optimus Prime toy! I know that's not a popular thing to say, but commonly well known issues with it aside, I find the toy itself to have tons of playability options and is just plain fun. I like the idea of the drones combining into limbs, any limbs, I like the mobile garage trailer, I just like this toy!
    However, that hanging helicopter blade drove me crazy and the color choice for the drones always left me wanting something else. Fun as the toy is, I always got left with this feeling like I was looking at a Power Rangers Mega Zord reject when OP was in combined mode, and often wondered what he would look like if they had a more classic deco, but I wasnt sure that the finished product was going to even look good, and held off on trying it for a long time.

I didnt do anything to Optimus himself, this is just a simple repaint of the drones and the only modding I did was made the helicopter blade removable by replacing the peg in the "engine hood" and adding one under the tail section so the blade can be mounted over his shoulder in combined mode rather than hanging off his wrist. The one down side to this in they no longer "free" spin if you flick them with your finger, but they do rotate and stay in place quite well.
    I only did an "OP" number on one side of each drone, and replaced it with an insignia on the other, so no matter what drone is where, Optimus always has his insignia on his left shoulder. BTW, I know the numbers on 3 & 4 turned out low and off center, I may go back and fix it, not sure yet.

Overall I'm really happy with this, it's my favorite repaint I've done so far!
    Comment and critiques appreciated!
    Enjoy!
    Later

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

Much more cohesive! I like it!

3. onslaught314

onslaught314 Saxobot

News Credits:
    I had the idea of doing this to my Energon Prime too! But I couldn't break myself to paint over the figure after how much I got it for... :eek:  and it looks like you're not alone in liking this prime! haha

I'm really liking the way this turned out, definitely makes the figure look even better! :thumbs2: 

4. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Now see, if Hasbro repainted the figure to look like Generation One Optimus Prime when combined(as seen with this) and also as the smaller robot, then I would totally buy the toy.

Those mismatched Energon colors just completely ruined any interest I had for the figure.

5. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

The cohesive colourscheme for the drones makes this look much better than the original - I like it! Being able to swap the helicopter blades works a treat too

6. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I have like 4 of this mold...
    1 standard combined / 1 altmode truck-trailer / combined with omega supreme / combined with wingsaber
    and if I ever get a omega sentinal I'll buy another one to combine with
    (o and I have one customize as an omega supreme :p )

but this looks so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Vinjax01

Vinjax01 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This mold has so much potential....just the wrong paint apps. Yours does the figure a lot more justice. I got one from a local charity store, no helmet/weapon but I customized a loose UM head I had laying around and gave it one of Armada Prime's blasters...and voila!! Great G1 feel!! try to get one if possible, it would really complete the look on this masterpiece!! :thumbs2: 

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    The firetruck looks especially nice!

9. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I've come back today for 10x I'm in love man this is pretty...
    indeed the firetruck is killer... the helicopter comes 2nd...
    the deep dark blue on the submarine is beautiful...
    and even that ugly drill looks cool in blue!!! damn

I may need to find me another e.prime :D 

10. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Ah cool stuff. I've never liked rainbow combiners. :) 

11. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    @Vinjax01; what UM head did you use? Got a pic of your mod? Id love to see what you did!

Thanks for all the comments! Im really happy with how this turned out. I need to figure out how to get better pics though.
    Thanks everyone!
    Later

12. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

Beautiful paint work! Looks great.

And I'm with you, I love this Prime too! Power, brother.