Heavy/Scratch: G1 Tetrajet Rainmaker Sunstorm

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by KINGBOTZ, Jul 5, 2009.

1. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was always intrigued by the G1 Rainmaker Tetrajets ever since I saw them in the episode "Divide and Conquer" as a kid...the way they quickly transformed, and how they neatly packed all their robotic features into an almost seamless-looking-contoured-triangular-jet......??? I also strongly believe the yellow G1 Rainmaker was Sunstorm. :cool: 

To my knowledge, no one has attempted a transformable Tetrajet custom since they appeared in the cartoon many years ago....It's no mystery why, it's a pain-in-the-ass! This was my opportunity to pioneer another custom no one has touched.....So after many hours of brainstorming and trial & error, I figured out how the hell to get a pretty-bad-ass-looking robot out of a triangle... (tetrahedron)

Sunstorm is based on a Cybertron Starscream Supreme, which I found to be the perfect, sturdy figure to start with. About 50% of the figure was scratchbuilt using styrene, aluminum flatbar and other strategic reinforcements when designing the mast, frontal and side-slopes for the jet mode. Because of his new design, all electronics were removed and replaced with a smaller battery and switch for the red led in the eyes. Sunstorm is fully transformable with NO parts-forming in the process, everything stays intact and he retains all the posability of the original figure. I built a custom display stand for his robot mode, and a G1 Decepticon box-art themed display platform for his jet mode, which I think really compliments the jet mode well.

Because of the initial appearance, there was a lot of speculation wether the figure transformed into something or not. "More than meets the eye....that's the whole idea, right? To clear this up, I've added an "underside" pic of the jet mode, and a quick video of the actual transformation under 30-seconds here: YouTube - Kingbotz Tetrajet Sunstorm transformation in 30-seconds

I am currently working to complete the team of 3 Rainmaker Tetrajets and will be doing any and all Cybertronian seekers for commission as well for those interested. ANYBODY KNOW THE NAME OF THE BLUE RAINMAKER TETRAJET?

Sunstorm is now on e-bay! :thumb 

Attached Files:

2. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

SWEET! And as the first, you must feel like 'Uh-huh, that's right, that's mine.

3. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WOW! thats all i can say man, this guys crazy looking! awesome job

4. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

This is one of the sweetest customs I've seen in a while. Props on the job all together.

5. shotokandragon

shotokandragon Well-Known Member

that looks great, good use of supreme starscream.can't wait to see the others.isn't the blue one thundercracker

6. KINGBOTZ

Ebay:
    Thanks! Man, I wish I knew!!! It's driving me nuts trying to find out who the hell the blue guy is, and what his ability is! I dug pretty deep in the internet, and even asked around at Botcon and nobody knew! :banghead:  He could possibly be Thundercracker, but his name would have to end in "Storm"

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks fantastic man :thumb 

And the credits listing on the vid made me :lol 

8. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    jets....

okay, a long time ago I was sifting the internet, finding non pR0n interesting sites, and came across this

Generic Decepticons

now, his nicknames for these guys are a bit different, but, it seems he was quite thorough in his research. Might give you some ideas at least.

As for names, I assume you mean something along the lines of Sunstorm, AcidStorm, and maybe Thunderstorm (Cracker's brother?)

There's all sorts of fanwank out there based on these "rainmakers", its just a matter of what you want to do.

As for the mod.....awesome :bowdown: 

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

nice

10. chris-morada

chris-morada Banned

OMG! Dayuummm!

11. blue death

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i dont mean to come off like a jerk but according to the G1 show and tfwiki the Rainmakers are Shockwaves personal troops on cybertron. according to them the only confirmed Rain Maker is Acid Storm so Sunstorm and definitely Thundercracker are not. Sun Storm has extremely different origins in most G1 continuities and i doubt hes connected to this group at all. and thundercraker, theres just no way.

but again i will say that i love this custom jsut for its perfect execution of tetrajet alt mode. way to go again! i had no idea that mold was that huge to begin with and after seeing your video that thing is a beast

12. Ramp4ge

Ramp4ge Active Member

I wouldnt have believed this could turn out so well, good luck with the auction

13. JAF

JAF 1984

Brilliant stuff Kingbotz. The credits in your vid are a nice touch, hah.

That alt mode is dead on and it's even more impressive that you used the Supreme sized figure.

14. KINGBOTZ

Ebay:
    No problem man, thanks for the input, every little bit helps. It's been frustrating to find any kind of info on the Rainmakers, being only one is official. A very reliable source I spoke to at Botcon told me he thought it was Icestorm.

Yeah, I thought I'd tackle the big scale version of Sunstorm, since it would go well with the few MP figures out there. Yeah, Sunstorm is a big handfull!

15. blue death

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ive also heard the name Icestorm tossed around for this character and either that or my personal favorite Hydrostorm sound very convincing for the blue one.

as for the yellow one, i havent ever heard a name given for him besides the usual opinion that its just Sunstorm again. Personally i like to call him Thunderstorm.

16. IF_IR_IE_IE_ID

IF_IR_IE_IE_ID USAF Seeker

Ebay:
    a great custom for a great seeker. congratulations

17. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    This is really great I've allways liked this Tetrajet form over the G1 jet forms of Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp. I really like the fact tha it gives off that Cybertronium WWI feel.
    Could this scratch build be done to the voyager class Starscream mold as well? If so I think more people may be up for that commission than the Supreme Class because of the cost difference. Also would you be doing only the rainmakers or all the G1 Decept. Seekers

Also as ffar as the Rain makers name goes if you can't find out his official name I would go with Hydrostorm like Spurt Rynolds went with.

18. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I was lucky enough to see this bad boy in person at BotCon. It is a BEAST!!!! Thanks for posting it here, bro.

19. KINGBOTZ

Ebay:
    Yes, the voyager mold is just a smaller version of the Supreme class, little or no difference at all.

I will take commissions on ANY seeker you can think of, including Autobots like Jetfire and maybe even Powerglide...

I've heard the name Hydrostorm more frequently than anything, and sounds really cool and flowing. I could live with that.

20. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Were you the person who had this at botcon? If so next time we meet please don't try and pass your custom luckydraws off to me as legit items. If you wern't the person at botcon then I apologize. Eathier way this is a great bash.