G1 swoop..real or KO?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by daelite20, Oct 15, 2009.

1. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I know this is off topic but IMO if someone is looking for vintage G1 Dinobots you need look no further than the junkion exchange. Many members are well respected and will not sell a knockoff as vintage. Also, the people I am talking about know transformers and know how to spot knockoffs so a mistake is less likely to happen. When you buy from places like EvilBay and such you never know. Just my two cents, OK now back to the topic.

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    All very true about the few reasons for the OPs being a KO. Unfortunately the differences between the legit and KO figures themselves aren't as well publicized as those with the packaging. I have your Swoop and Mirage reviews bookmarked, but if you have any more could you consolidate links to them in the stickied KO thread?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  3. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

this thread's got me thinking. short of searching for posts with the right word in the title, is there an easily searchable online KO toy database?

i'm a web developer by day (by night, i fight crime) so it's something that i could crank out fairly easily if it was liable to be in demand.

4. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
  5. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

awesome site, cheers for that. looks like i can go back to vigilantism in the evening.

6. redoptics

redoptics Banned

like i said just something i read didnt say it was true or not lol i have all the dinobots bought in the early 90's so they are the classic versions but none of them have their rub signs either

7. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Whether it's a KO or not, it looks pretty good. I have a G1 Swoop from when I was a kid. It's in my collection thread, but not a close up. If you wanted any close up pics to compare, PM me.

Just keep in mind that when I was a kid I was anti-decals for whatever reason, so mine is missing all of those decals on his wings.

8. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    You sure about that?

9. redoptics

redoptics Banned

i have gold box classics versions none of them have rub signs excluding swoop wasnt released in uk mind

10. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Same here... actually got most of my G1 waaay before all these KO started springing... especially after the first movie.

11. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Am I 100% sure. No, I do not own one that I know for sure did not come with a rub sign. I do know that Swoop was made in both japan and in Macau and all the bots I've seen made in Macau do not come with rub signs.

12. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Good info :thumb  didn't notice that before

13. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    That's funny, Mine has a rub sign and was made in Macau. I guess there is no rhyme or reason to it.

14. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    I say KO

15. daelite20

daelite20 autobots

News Credits:
    THANKS guys for the opinions and your inputs.. thats one more reason, im not getting into G1's no more. Thats why im just going to have in my Display case Classics.im gonna put in my sale thread if anyone interested pm..

16. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    There is a points of differenciation thing for products being similar, but these KOs don't have anything like the changes needed to be allowed in law (in the US or Europe at least)
    Even if there are significant changes its still possible to get charged if its seen to be similar enough for people to confuse the original and KO products.

The circles on the wings are to do with the mould and not an designed in difference. The whole point of these knock offs is that people can't spot the reall from the knock offs otherwise why bother trying to make them so similar!

17. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    Sorry to hear that, I guess you paid a lot for him? If there's no way to get your money back that does suck, but it's still a nice toy. Hopefully you can get some $ for it.

18. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Just an FYI, if you paid for Swoop using Paypal you can file a dispute to get all of your money back, minus the cost of shipping to Paypal (not the seller).

19. daelite20

daelite20 autobots

News Credits:
    YEAH, i know..i had it since botcon in a box and decide to take it out..now realizing is a KO..u live and learn