G1 Swoop - Fragile?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scantron, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TL;DR version - G1 Swoop, extremely fragile, yay or nay?

Details:

I'm currently picking up a few vintage G1 items and the Dinobots were high up on that list. I'm at the point now where the only ones I need are Grimlock and Swoop, with the latter being something of a priority since he's my favorite Dinobot character. But I've been reading a few reviews of Swoop and have some concerns about whether it's going to be worth spending the $100+ on the figure.

On the one hand:

But, on the other hand, from the "Recent Purchases Thread"...

So, I've got a couple of sources saying it's an extremely fragile figure...and a couple of other sources that indicate it's reasonably durable, just be careful with the beak. I'd like to get a larger sampling of opinions before I decide one way or the other on this. So what say you G1 Swoop owners: Is this toy extremely fragile and one to avoid or fairly stable and worth picking up?

2. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I'd say he is fairly stable and a good figure to own as long as you are careful with him. He's not as fragile as figures with GPS (which anyone should be scared to touch by now) but he's not durable enough to hold out against a six year old for very long. So as long as you don't go smashing him into other figures and take a little care transforming him you should have no problem.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a longtime Swoop owner, just go easy on the beak and everything should be good!

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Just don't touch his face.

5. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Let me put it this way: he probably won't survive a dive off a six foot high shelf onto a hard tile floor without his beak shattering like so much glass, but he'll easily survive normal handling as long as you don't try and carry out modern Transformer durability tests on him. Swoop is the product of a bygone era of toy engineering where diecast metal and swivel joints were plentiful, so as long as you keep that in mind, things should be okay.

That being said, I still bury my Swoops in giant wads of bubble wrap reinforced by more bubble wrap when putting them in storage. Just in case. :) 

Uh...come again? :confused: 

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    he's saying the beak/face is so fragile, that all ya gotta do is say, "give me your face!" and swoop's practically falls off in your hands.

i know that kind of fragile in toys.