Minor/Repaint: G1 Sunstreaker at Alternator/MP scale

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TigerBlade, Jan 15, 2012.

1. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    G1 Sunstreaker at Alternator/MP scale - Finished!!

In my quest to get G1 S1 at Alt/MP scale I've never liked Alt/BT Sunstreaker, the Viper mould just doesn't do him justice so when I stumbled across a 1:24 yellow Countach Roadbot I had to have a tinker!

Here are the results, I know his legs are too skinny but the way they fold in transformation to take them out or bulk them up would be troublesome.....unless someone has any ideas of course! I'm also thinking about swapping out the forearms/hands for either something like Alt Skids or from the viper mould but that would entail some work on his car undercarriage to fit them in.

Any suggestions for the legs or you think I should just leave them as is?

EDIT - How do you create a thumbnail image for the thread or is it automatic?

Attached Files:

2. benclark1982

benclark1982 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow looks great. I agree that the Alt Sunstreaker does not do him justice. Where can i get one of these molds now? Keep it up.

BTW, there is no way to attach the thumbnail images right now, there is an anouncement about it.

3. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    OK cheers,

Got it from ebay but the only one I could find now is from Amazon UK here: 1:24 LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH ROADBOT: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

As you can see I haven't actually changed that much, just the head, chest and some colours....I did try attaching the doors to the chest to closely match the G1 character but it made him massively top heavy, keeping the doors attached to the legs kinda keeps it more in balance as a figure and gives the illusion of fattening up those skinny/shitty legs.

4. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Haha, that's cool! Good work. Leave the legs, although they are skinny like you said, you might ein him by bulking him up.

5. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Cheers :) 

I've gone back to the drawing board on this after looking at this IDW picture:

[​IMG]

The chest area has already been shortened, the windows have been separated from the doors and moved to the chest. The legs/hips are the main bug bear and for my semi OCD so are getting swapped out, unfortunately this will most likely hinder the transformation of the bonnet unless I can come up with a cunning plan, but that will have to wait till they are attached and having a fully articulated G1 MP styled Sunstreaker will compensate I guess! Oh the forearms/hands are definitely getting swapped out too.....

A Tamiya LP500s has dropped through the letterbox today so his bro will be next on the list.......first reshell but I can already foresee Mirage and Wheeljack in the future....will it ever end!!

Pics to follow in a few days.

6. MROptimusPrime

MROptimusPrime LEGAL NAME: OPTIMUS PRIME

News Credits:
    I LOVE these legs because it looks like he could actually run around and fight, and I can STILL see they are car parts. Win win!

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

These Road-Bots kill me. Nice car modes, and robot modes that are ALMOST there... a bit more creativity in the engineering, and they could have been great, but every time I bought a Road-Bot, I ended up giving up in the end, because fixing those little things is such a chore.

I salute you, and I'm excited to see if you can make lemonade out of this lemon. That Countach mode is sooooo sweet.

zmog

8. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Not too shabby. I like this. His lower legs look a little skinny. Just a minor nitpick. Nice job.

9. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Cheers buddy, totally agree so it's a good job I'm starting these then!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to attach the rest of the bonnet yet tho.

10. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Pretty much done bar a few more touch ups paint wise, and properly attach his door windows to his chest. He has lost the transformation now (not that I ever transform my figs) but I'm not sure on the results, he seems a bit too 'chunky' now so I might come back to doing another Sunstreaker (which transforms) once I get a few reshells under my belt and not use a roadboat again!!

On his lonesome:

[​IMG]

With some of his S1 buddies:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy pics, pretty limited on pic shooting space.

11. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The improvements you made are awesome, the new legs/feet make a total difference

12. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

looks pretty good ,now just make one that transforms

13. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Cheers! I keep thinking his feet are way too big but he does seem to fit in well with the other Alt/BT repaints as they are all on the porky side too lol

Cheers, he does transform about 75% but it's his new legs that are stopping a full change. I do have some ideas so will most likely look again after I've reshelled Alt Prowl into Sideswipe.

14. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    So I went back to the drawing board and decided MP seeker legs should look alot better. Got one in the post today and, after taking a break from Bumblebee, pieced him together:

[​IMG]

I'm thinking it looks alot better. Still no transformation and I'm cool with that seeing as the odds of a true MP has jumped massively! He will be a hell of alot more poseable now and once BB is done and I've finished the paint touch ups on Sideswipe (typical) I'm gonna get this finished once and for all......

15. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    The changes look awesome!
    I want this on my shelf!!!

16. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Yeah... it was a 7or8 already... but this is 9 going for 10 :D  very nice!!!

17. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

yeah, those seeker legs and waist make a big difference!

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Looks frickin' BRILLIANT! The new legs are a total victory! :D 

zmog

19. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

^^^
    I agree 1000%. Roadbots are just turds. I'm really over all the KO crap and sub-Hasbro quality stuff out there. Hasbro quality is bad enough at times, I can't stand going worse now. Every KO I've ever bought from KOtoys is sitting in a bin awaiting a repair with super glue or something. Hundreds of bucks, for shit.

I'm over it.

Results here are pretty good though, but the joints and simplicity of the Roadbots are just so.... subpar. But a great customizer is one who will take a pile of shit and make it amazing :D 

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Any chance you could shoot a video of the transformation process?