Heavy/Scratch: G1 Style sets for Dreadwind & Darkwing

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by knoted, Mar 28, 2018.

1. dragonflye18

dragonflye18 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    pretty cool dude . lmao in the pics it looks like they are getting ready to do fusion

• Like Like x 1
  2. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Lol
    Right on!

3. knoted

News Credits:
    Alright, Darkwing's Arm Upgrade Set has been tested as successfull now too. The revised "5mm" weapon ports work as intended.
    [​IMG]

All Sets are now final and they can be found here:

PotP Dreadwind Leg Upgrade Set: PotP Dreadwind Leg Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Dreadwind Arm Upgrade Set: PotP Dreadwind Arm Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Dreadwind Faux Canopy Chest: PotP Dreadwind Faux Canopy by knoted on Shapeways

PotP Darkwing Leg Upgrade Set: PotP Darkwing Leg Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Darkwing Arm Upgrade Set : PotP Darkwing Arm Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways

PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Handsculpts Set: PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Hands Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Handsculpts with Pointy Index Finger Set: PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Pointy Fingers Set by knoted on Shapeways

Description for which paints & dyes I used, can be found in each product listing.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 10:51 AM
    • Like Like x 7
  4. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Well times to start ordering. Shame that XTC stuff didn't work

• Like Like x 2
  5. knoted

News Credits:
    A single layer of XTC 3D gave the surface a high gloss, with retention of detail - but at the same time it accentuated the texture of the material, making it look more grainy than it actually is.

After the second coat of XTC, the stuff settles evened out....to some extent, but it also 'flooded' any crevices and ridge lines, making the overall part look gloopy.

I can see now, how this stuff is popular for people who do large PLA/ABS prints on their home FDM printer, but for deluxe/voyager size SLS parts (Shapeways), I don't think XTC 3D is appropriate - unless you want to sand every little nook and cranny down - but that would be an insane amount of manual labor, and risky as well btw.

XTC 3Dwas an expensive mistake I made, basically 'wasting' 2 entire Shapeways sets, but it was a wise lesson learned.

• Like Like x 1
  6. knoted

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, as individidual sets of limbs, this was about as cheap as I could make them. That's just Shapeways' pricing model.

However, I do understand the sum of them amount to something quite substantial in the context of a deluxe class figure.
    Hence, I have compiled cheaper sets for Dreadwind and Darkwing. Each set consists of:

- Legs, left and right.
    - Arms, left and right.
    - Hands, left and right.

Do keep in mind, these sets are on a sprue, so you will need a sprue cutter.
    Also note, the leg installation requires you to remove the pins from the stock legs first. Then insert the pins when installing these new legs.

The Dreadwind Budget set: PotP Dreadwind Upgrade Set_Budget version by knoted on Shapeways

The Darkwing Budget set: PotP Darkwing Upgrade Set_Budget version by knoted on Shapeways

The Faux Canopy Chest for Dreadwind is still sold seperately because that one is recommended in Frosted Ultra Detail - now known as Smooth Fine Detail plastic: PotP Dreadwind Faux Canopy by knoted on Shapeways

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Heckfire

Heckfire General Patton vonJesus-Bot 2.0

Here's a weird question: how does that faux canopy look on Darkwing?

• Like Like x 1
  8. knoted

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, that doesn't really work. Darkwing's flipdown cover has these raised edges on the inside; the chest piece doesn't fit in there properly.
    I would have to adjust the design to fit it ; which....I could, if I'd know for sure there are buyers.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Heckfire

Heckfire General Patton vonJesus-Bot 2.0

Consider me interested. I've been trying to make some Combiner Seekers, and this would be perfect for the chest canopy that's part of their signature look. It just might take a couple of paychecks before I can fit it into my budget, LOL...

10. knoted

News Credits:
    No worries, it'll take some time to make the adjustments anyway. I'll keep you guys posted.

11. Treyarch

Treyarch Member

This may be the first kit(s) on the Radicons that I pull the trigger on (unfortunately for me I'm still looking for a Darkwing, the nearest Walmart still has wave one)

• Like Like x 1