Heavy/Scratch: G1 Style sets for Dreadwind & Darkwing

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by knoted, Mar 28, 2018.

1. dragonflye18

dragonflye18 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    pretty cool dude . lmao in the pics it looks like they are getting ready to do fusion

• Like Like x 1
  2. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Lol
    Right on!

3. knoted

News Credits:
    Alright, Darkwing's Arm Upgrade Set has been tested as successfull now too. The revised "5mm" weapon ports work as intended.
    [​IMG]

All Sets are now final and they can be found here:

PotP Dreadwind Leg Upgrade Set: PotP Dreadwind Leg Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Dreadwind Arm Upgrade Set: PotP Dreadwind Arm Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Dreadwind Faux Canopy Chest: PotP Dreadwind Faux Canopy by knoted on Shapeways

PotP Darkwing Leg Upgrade Set: PotP Darkwing Leg Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Darkwing Arm Upgrade Set : PotP Darkwing Arm Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways

PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Handsculpts Set: PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Hands Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Handsculpts with Pointy Index Finger Set: PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Pointy Fingers Set by knoted on Shapeways

Description for which paints & dyes I used, can be found in each product listing.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  4. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Well times to start ordering. Shame that XTC stuff didn't work

• Like Like x 2
  5. knoted

News Credits:
    A single layer of XTC 3D gave the surface a high gloss, with retention of detail - but at the same time it accentuated the texture of the material, making it look more grainy than it actually is.

After the second coat of XTC, the stuff settles evened out....to some extent, but it also 'flooded' any crevices and ridge lines, making the overall part look gloopy.

I can see now, how this stuff is popular for people who do large PLA/ABS prints on their home FDM printer, but for deluxe/voyager size SLS parts (Shapeways), I don't think XTC 3D is appropriate - unless you want to sand every little nook and cranny down - but that would be an insane amount of manual labor, and risky as well btw.

XTC 3Dwas an expensive mistake I made, basically 'wasting' 2 entire Shapeways sets, but it was a wise lesson learned.

• Like Like x 1
  6. knoted

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, as individidual sets of limbs, this was about as cheap as I could make them. That's just Shapeways' pricing model.

However, I do understand the sum of them amount to something quite substantial in the context of a deluxe class figure.
    Hence, I have compiled cheaper sets for Dreadwind and Darkwing. Each set consists of:

- Legs, left and right.
    - Arms, left and right.
    - Hands, left and right.

Do keep in mind, these sets are on a sprue, so you will need a sprue cutter.
    Also note, the leg installation requires you to remove the pins from the stock legs first. Then insert the pins when installing these new legs.

The Dreadwind Budget set: PotP Dreadwind Upgrade Set_Budget version by knoted on Shapeways

The Darkwing Budget set: PotP Darkwing Upgrade Set_Budget version by knoted on Shapeways

The Faux Canopy Chest for Dreadwind is still sold seperately because that one is recommended in Frosted Ultra Detail - now known as Smooth Fine Detail plastic: PotP Dreadwind Faux Canopy by knoted on Shapeways

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Heckfire

Heckfire Work In Progress

Here's a weird question: how does that faux canopy look on Darkwing?

• Like Like x 1
  8. knoted

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, that doesn't really work. Darkwing's flipdown cover has these raised edges on the inside; the chest piece doesn't fit in there properly.
    I would have to adjust the design to fit it ; which....I could, if I'd know for sure there are buyers.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Heckfire

Heckfire Work In Progress

Consider me interested. I've been trying to make some Combiner Seekers, and this would be perfect for the chest canopy that's part of their signature look. It just might take a couple of paychecks before I can fit it into my budget, LOL...

10. knoted

News Credits:
    No worries, it'll take some time to make the adjustments anyway. I'll keep you guys posted.

11. Treyarch

Treyarch Member

This may be the first kit(s) on the Radicons that I pull the trigger on (unfortunately for me I'm still looking for a Darkwing, the nearest Walmart still has wave one)

• Like Like x 1
  12. knoted

News Credits:
    Ok, I honored your tangent request and I created this chest piece which consists of a modified Dreadwind canopy with Seeker style airintakes on either side. It should plug into Darkwing's 5mm chest port.
    I just ordered one in Smooth Fine Detail plastic. - note; until I receive and test it as successfull, it is still labeled as BETA.

You can order the item here: PotP Darkwing to Seeker mod kit - BETA by knoted on Shapeways

[​IMG]

* small update May 25th 2018.

Added several groove lines to facilitate easier painting / color blocking. This way you are assured of clean color seperation lines. For the photography of the inbound prototype, I will simply use masking tape. The new version is of course updated on its Shapeways page.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  13. knoted

News Credits:
    Ok, this FUD test piece fits really well already.

Someone contacted me directly via Shapeways, requesting this chest piece with the iconic Seeker shoulder air intakes as well.
    Basically, the nosecone/canopy will split in half, and I will redesign the bottom half to consist of new Seeker style air intakes.
    During transformation, these air intakes will retain position, while the nosecone itself, folds back.

As for now, the pics of the chest piece:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  14. knoted

News Credits:
    On a sidenote; I just got out of the online group meet & greet with Shapeway's new CEO.

A certain level of confidentiality was asked, but what I can tell you about the info he shared - regarding the material changes, loss of materials such as BHDA, pricing etc. -
    it was very insightful and although I had my own suspicions as to why things are the way they are, it was still a bit shocking to hear.

Their new roadmap for the coming 12 months sounds promising but ambitious - it's gonna be a challenge.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "They've never made a profit and are dangerously close to running out of VC funding" because that seems like the MO for any "too good to be true" tech company?

16. knoted

News Credits:
    That would be a description too extreme.
    However, what I can tell you is that by December 2017 / January 2018, Shapeways was really not in a good position.

I can not divulge exact details, but back then already, my suspicions were that a certain percentage of their material portfolio/services were probably incredibly labor & cost intensive.
    So the information in this meeting was not entirely surprising to me, yet still shocking in its scope & depth.
    Indeed, our beloved BHDA material was amongst the culprit group.

What the new CEO stated was to go from a wide mile, inch deep policy, to a more narrowed down focus, aimed at satisfying longstanding requests from its consumer base.
    This includes some things I have been wanting for quite some time. I think many designers here in the TF community would also look forward to such developments.
    I also understand the lack of communication now, regarding the material naming changes and the loss of a range of materials ; the insight was ....yeah... sorta shocking.

However, this turning point shift will not come easy, as the CEO acknowledges, it is a new industry going through growing pains ( pricing context ). The eventual goal looks promising though. Eventually, creators/shop owners will be happy I think... but again.. I cannot divulge here, because developments in this context forms the beating heart for their renaissance roadmap.

I don't think they have to fear direct competition from novelty "3D printing" technologies such as 3D laser cutting machines, wood & laminate 3D printers ; just like SLA, CLIP and the old FDM.. they are on a different plane of market segment.

• Like Like x 2
  17. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And that would be PERFECT for that Ghost Starscream featured in the Takara Galvatronus set... Probably leave it unpainted too. Well, needs mods to fit that version of the CW Aerialbot molds, but yea...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  18. knoted

News Credits:
    Two things for you to keep in mind:

1. unpainted FUD ( now known as Smooth Fine Detail plastic ) does have a slight tendency to yellow over time. If you really want the uncolored translucent look then I strongly advise you to clean it with some soapy water, let it dry, then spray it with Tamiya clearcoat ; glossy TS-13 for example.

2. This piece plugs into PotP Blackwing's 5mm port which is on the combiner peg ; this means you will have to unplug it for gestalt combined mode. In case you want to put it on CW Ghost Starscream, I think it might work best if you could somehow transplant Blackwing's combiner peg into Ghost Starscream.

19. knoted

News Credits:
    Oh btw, for anyone who wants to have some sort of Rit Dye guideline - I found this article in which they tested a range of Rit Dye colors on blank gun magazines.
    From my own experience with Rit Dye on WSFP ( now known as Processed Versatile plastic ), I now know that their results are near identical to mine, so the following pic is very useful for anyone who wants to dye their upgrade kits:

[​IMG]

For example: the Rit Dye Aquamarine, is perfect 1:1 result for PotP's Blackwing blue.

* Also, while I am working on this full seeker style chest/shoulder piece, I might start work on a seeker styled limbs for this as well - based upon my PotP Darkwing upgrade set.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Mediusprime

Mediusprime Well-Known Member

I might need the blackwing kit, I want to use 2 to make rack and ruin and I think the arm upgrade might work for their weapons.

• Like Like x 2