Heavy/Scratch: G1 Style sets for Dreadwind & Darkwing

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by knoted, Mar 28, 2018.

1. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Thanks !

At the moment I am awaiting the 3rd prototype iterations ( expected upcoming week).
    The 2nd print batch was almost perfect, except for a few fit issues (such as the pin hinge holes ).

So when the 3rd iteration samples prove to be satisfactory/perfect, I will make them go live on my shop asap.

Also,
    I took your suggestion to heart afterall. There was no margin to actually elongate the feet any further - however, I did raise them on the Y-axis, so at least they look a bit bigger now. Final version on the left - it'll arrive upcoming week:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  2. knoted

News Credits:
    Well, I couldn't resist anymore to create a new set of arms for Darkwing as well.

This set retains the 5mm ports on the side plus the added bonus of balljointed wrist swivel plus the G1 style sculpt of course.
    I will order these for testing once the inbound 3rd iteration of my Dreadwind sets are in and tested successfully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 11
  3. westjames aka notirishman

westjames aka notirishman Da man widda plan

News Credits:
    "HELL... well Michigan I guess" [laughs] -Joel
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Well color me excited! Good job so far!

• Like Like x 1
  4. cirrusstratus1

cirrusstratus1 ROGUE AUTOBOT LEADER

Most excellent work!! You should discover a way to finance the upsizing of these guys. Maybe open a Kickstarter project.

• Like Like x 2
  5. knoted

News Credits:
    Thanks guys !

I'll post the results once I receive and test the 3rd print batch - then if it's 100% to my standards, I'll make it go live on my Shapeways shop.

I can already report the 5mm port at the bottom of Dreadwind's foot, holds the combiner hand really tight. In fact, I can dangle Dreadwind
    from the combiner hand without worry:

[​IMG]

It has the same plug as the plug on Blackwing for combined mode, so they should now combine in a secure manner without having to resort to other ports.

I'm actually still waiting for my PotP Blackwing. He's in my pile of loot but since my online retailer still has it on PO status....

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  6. knoted

News Credits:
    Yes!

The 3rd prototype iteration has proven to be successfull, so as of now all Dreadwind components have reached final stage: Fit & function perfected & guaranteed.
    Please do note the handsculpts sell seperately, so you can pick a custom color for them and it avoids having to sprue them to the arm upgrade sets.

Please do note, the leg upgrade sets require pin removal from the stock legs, then reinsertion of the pins into these upgrade set legs.

You can get Dreadwind's leg upgrade set here: PotP Dreadwind Leg Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    You can get Dreadwind's arm upgrade set here: PotP Dreadwind Arm Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    You can get Dreadwind's/Darkwing's handsculpts set here: PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Hands Set by knoted on Shapeways
    You can get Dreadwind's/Darkwing's handsculpts set with pointy index fingers here: PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Pointy Fingers Set by knoted on Shapeways

Since I do not have PotP Blackwing in my posession yet, his upgrade sets are still "Beta", although I am pretty sure by now at least the legs will work,
    since the stock versions are the same as Dreadwind's stock legs. The arms should work too - provided, the peghole to secure it in jetmode has the exact same alignment I gave it.

Beta Darkwing leg upgrade set: BETA - PotP Darkwing Leg Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    Beta Darkwing arm upgrade set: BETA - PotP Darkwing Arm Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways

You can see his right leg is the new final version, with a slightly bigger looking foot ( there was simply no margin left to elongate the foot, so I enlarged it on the Y-axis ).
    Of course, a lot more of the upper legs now show, whereas Skydive's upper legs are hiding behind those giant kneepads.

[​IMG]

I will clean up this thread and reorganize pics, once I receive the full final versions of these sets soon.

• Like Like x 8
  7. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Once you get Darkwing sorted out I'll be picking them up. You try XTC 3D on them yet? Also what color do you have the hand in, I don't see gray on shapeways.

• Like Like x 1
  8. knoted

News Credits:
    I just ordered all the parts today, so I'll be ordering the XTC 3D somewhere this week.

Unfortunately, Shapeways doesn't offer gray so I'll have to dye them using Rit Dye More Graphite, like I did for my TR Kup custom parts.
    I'll keep you guys posted here with each step once I get the final parts in.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  9. breaux man

breaux man I'm Me

Hey bro, don't mean to derail your thread...nice stuff! Do you plan to do any upgrades for Cyber Battalion Shockwave?...like knees, fists, etc?

• Like Like x 3
  10. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Count me as another who is interested in knowing this...

• Like Like x 1
  11. knoted

News Credits:
    Sorry guys, I have no such plans.

It's probably a personal thing, but I tend to focus on characters of G1 1987 - 1990.
    I already have another project (1988 character) in the pipeline after these DreadWings Bros.

On a sidenote; I think there might be a decent chance Generations WFC 2019 will have really good representations of season 1&2 characters like Shockwave.

• Like Like x 1
  12. knoted

News Credits:
    Well, I got Blackwing before the Shapeways shipment afterall - so for the heck of it, I tried the first iteration prototype legs on him:

The good:
    - Looks good overall.
    - The hinge diameter has already been corrected in the upcoming shipment, so no need to worry about that.
    - The peg size on the inside of the legs has been corrected in the upcoming shipment, so probably no need to worry about that anymore either.
    - The 5mm peghole at the bottom of Dreadwind's foot definitely holds Blackwing in a most secure manner.
    - The alignment for the peghole on the inner arms will certainly work.

The notsogood:
    - However, I did notice that sneaky Hasbro has some tolerance differences between Blackwing and Dreadwind, EVEN if the parts look the SAME.
    - Even though I already adjusted the fit to the rear part of the legs a bit in the upcoming shipment, I might have to adjust it a little more.
    - The elbow joint is even weirder, because the tolerance difference seems to be done deliberately. I will definitely have to widen it a bit.

Sigh.. yeah mine's got the bent tail fins too, but at least I know now for sure he fits securely to his brother.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  13. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    I think all of them are like that. Curious to see if Takara packages them in a box where they won't get bent

• Like Like x 1
  14. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I'm so in on this once you've got finals posted. Good job.

• Like Like x 1
  15. knoted

News Credits:
    Finally,
    after several unfortunate delays - this project is finished (April 16, 2018 ).

Dreadwind
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up of his faux chest canopy; dyed in Rit Dye Teal & Aquamarine, then brushpainted the rest ivory white.
    [​IMG]

Pointy index finger hands again
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jetmode
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darkwing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goodtimes with Skyfire ;) 
    [​IMG]

Jetmode
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DreadWings
    As I stated earlier, the 5mm port at the bottom of the feet ensure the combined jetmode works perfectly. It's a very secure snug fit without any rotational wiggle.

Video demonstrating combined jetmode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tragic dynamic duo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MasterForce Destrons!
    [​IMG]

PotP Dreadwind Leg Upgrade Set: PotP Dreadwind Leg Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Dreadwind Arm Upgrade Set: PotP Dreadwind Arm Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Dreadwind Faux Canopy Chest: PotP Dreadwind Faux Canopy by knoted on Shapeways

PotP Darkwing Leg Upgrade Set: PotP Darkwing Leg Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Darkwing Arm Upgrade Set : PotP Darkwing Arm Upgrade Set by knoted on Shapeways

PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Handsculpts Set: PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Hands Set by knoted on Shapeways
    PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Handsculpts with Pointy Index Finger Set: PotP Dreadwind / Darkwing Pointy Fingers Set by knoted on Shapeways

Description for which paints & dyes I used, can be found in each product listing.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 17
  16. Hellscream85

Hellscream85 Well-Known Member

Ooooh, this will be a fun set, too bad I got no cash right now

17. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

The parts look awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  18. knoted

News Credits:
    Comparison with their G1 Marvel UK art:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Whoa.

How does the false canopy work with the combiner peg? Just pop it off or what?

20. knoted

News Credits:
    It plugs in / out same way like the Prime armor using the circular 5mm port.
    You can leave it on in jetmode, as it's not jutting out far - although it's not to be left on there for gestalt mode.

Then again, G1 Dreadwind & Darkwing never were gestalt limb bots, hence I didn't deem it a priority to make this faux canopy chest piece gestalt mode compatible.

Here's the model front and back:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1