Heavy/Scratch: G1 Style sets for Dreadwind & Darkwing

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by knoted, Mar 28, 2018.

1. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Power of the Primes Dreadwind & Darkwing.
    Are you also tired of seeing these refurbished Aerialbots ?

But seriously, these character designs are iconic thugs in G1 Masterforce and G1 Marvel Comics.
    From the moment these PotP versions were revealed, I felt the Aerialbot limbs take away from their unique designs.

However, replacing those CW shin legs would be a daunting task because:
    - They're pinned.
    - They're asymmetrical.
    - They rely on precise aligment with the other half of the lower leg and the hinge assembly inside.
    - They feature straight alignment in one direction, but they're slanted on the X and Z axis.

So I knew this would be nearly impossible with just my set-triangle and 2D scans.

After some pondering, I made the expensive decision to have these parts 3D scanned by a company with Artec Eva scanners. I sent them left and right shin legs, one left lower arm and a lower arm for another figure not subject in this project.

The cost per scanned item was 45 dollars, so
    180 dollars total.

The STL files are great as a rough alignment guideline, but of course to granular to use directly, because of the rough triangulation. After some tedious and careful modeling work, the results are:

- New shin legs for Dreadwind with his trademark "Wine-bottle" shaped legs with the stubs at the front

- New shin legs for Darkwing as well, but because his G1 legs are so incredibly non-descript ( even in the Masterforce lineart ), I turned to his G1 Marvel character art, then inserted some more detail to fit the overal PotP aesthetics. https://i.imgur.com/hxTvdN2.jpg

- New arms for Dreadwind, which also got the G1 Marvel treatment with the tube shape/ revolver chamber shape. I also added wrist articulation on a 5mm balljoint.
    PotP Darkwing's arms do already feature a bit of G1 style, so for now, I won't be redoing those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And last but not least, I am also working on a faux-canopy for Dreadwind's chest. I will make a F16 missile which splits in 2. One half will feature a 5mm peg ( highlighted in green ) to plug into his chest and that half will have sculpted detail to resemble his jet canopy. In jetmode, the 2 halves can snap together again, and he can carry "the missile" as a jet should.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I will upload the legs and arms to my Shapeways tonight or tomorrow and test out the first prints soon.

To be continued.............

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 30
  2. maxlovesamber

maxlovesamber TF Addict.

News Credits:
    Very interested to see where this goes. I loved that Hasbro decided to remake these guys and let them combine but I too was disappointed with the lack of G1 details. I know I'd be down to snag a second pair and start modding if this comes along.

3. knoted

News Credits:
    Like all my other Shapeways projects ( knoted by knoted - Shapeways Shops ) , I go to lengths to make each project result work as intended 100% guaranteed.

The only slightly more "advanced" requirement of these sets will be pin removal & reinsertion. I used a 7 dollar pin pusher I got off ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is not a "missile" but an F-16 370 gallon external fuel tank, lacking the attaching pylon. Common misconception amongst civilians that it's a bomb or missile.

Ylt7Q3J.jpg

370.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  5. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Dang, you actually went and had the legs scanned? And for 180$? That's devotion, right there. Been eyeballing that Kup upgrade set for a while, and I'm definitely looking forward to this now too. Been wanting to give Dreadwind some new purple paint, and this is a perfect excuse to get started.

I do have a few suggestions, though. The feet on Dreadwind look a little small, maybe elongating them would make them look a bit better. And since you're making new arms for him anyway, this is a good opportunity to make the elbows double jointed. Just make a seperate piece with a double-sided connector piece and give the forearms a corresponding socket for the hinge. Otherwise, everything looks perfect! :thumb 

• Like Like x 2
  6. hotwhilz

hotwhilz Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Now that's what I call dedication. Really good concepts here, but I am really not a big fan of those duo. I even passed them up several times at Target, Walmart and TRU's, though I am still interested in what your finished product.

• Like Like x 1
  7. knoted

News Credits:
    Thanks for correcting that, although I sorta-kinda knew that/ had a hunch - but I just went with "missile". But yeah, i will adjust the design to really make it an oversized missile.

It was 45 dollars per scanned piece, so in context of this project that's 45 times 3. I couldnt resist, because Takara isnt coming to the rescue for these guys. The other scanned piece is a TR Hot Rod arm for a yet to be revealed project. Anyway, the result is almost as if having the original CAD files, albeit in rough form.

Regarding your suggestion about the feet, thanks but if you look closely at the pics you might be able to tell I made the front of the legs straight - whereas the Aerialbot legs are heavily slanted inward towards the ankles. In order to prevent the feet on my designs from sticking out beyond the dimensions, I had to place them receded like that. Otherwise, the rear of the jetmode would sit at an elevated angle sticking up.

The double jointed elbow is a good suggestion as well - which was possible in the case of my TR Kup project - but in this case the dimensions of the forearm simply inhbit implementation of such a joint. It's really a bit smaller than TR Kup.

...and oh btw, I forgot to mention; i also tightened up the diameter on Dreadwind's jet combiner peghole, since it seems the common complaint is it being too loose for Dreadwings mode.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  8. knoted

News Credits:
    * update, uploaded the STL's and Shapeways lists ETA around April 5th.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Whoa. Could that drop tank/nosecone mount on top of the jet mode as well, to make the "super-jet" mode look more coherent? Or is that beyond what's possible?

EDIT: I don't want this comment to be a "demand" without some praise - this is some next-level work you're doing here. Going and getting an exact CAD copy of the pieces you want to alter is... damn dude, that's above and beyond. This is raising the bar in some very real ways.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. knoted

News Credits:
    Thanks ! That's a good idea to look into indeed - but I will do so once I get PotP Blackwing, since I don't actually have him yet ( he's on my preorder POL ). I only have Dreadwind so far.

11. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Amazing!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Automaster

Automaster Eye Heart TF's!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll be watching this with interest.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tankhunter48

Tankhunter48 Trailcreeper

This is a really cool project! Now that I know how to push pins, this would be an awesome concept to help make Dreadwind and Blackwing better!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do you have any physical copies of your work to showcase?

15. knoted

News Credits:
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  16. King Glurch

King Glurch Senpai noticed me

YouTube:
    This looks great so far, but you might as well just take my wallet...

• Like Like x 2
  17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd forgotten you'd said that.

It's not about credibility. Our customs forum is for threads of projects showcasing physical samples. Renders go in Fan Art, even if the eventual outcome is a printed copy.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    @knoted (and others posting here), when you see a thread without photos of physical work, just report the thread in question. We ARE consistent about the policy when it's either found or reported.

In a case like yours here, I always ask and generally give some room for the artist to produce what's requested. If you have any further questions/concerns, please feel free to send a pm.

• Like Like x 2
  19. knoted

News Credits:
    Well, the goods finally arrived. I couldn't stand to see those CW Aerialbots limbs anymore:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shameless self-promotion here ...Lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, I had to place the feet in a receded position - otherwise the rear of the jet would sit up at a nose-dive angle.

[​IMG]

I actually don't have PotP Darkwing yet - so, these shots with just the leg parts will have to do for the meanwhile

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, I am happy with the outcome.

I only need to adjust a few things:
    - the pin holes in the legs need their diameter enlarged a tiny bit
    - the peg ends on the inner sides of the legs need to be narrowed down a bit
    - the wrist joints need to be tightened a little bit

Other than that, the parts are functioning as intended. The purple isn't a perfect match, but it looks close enough in person.
    Eventually, I will probably coat the final parts in the magical stuff known as XTC 3D for a super smooth and plastic gloss finish.
    I hope you all enjoy the pics in the meanwhile !

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 16
  20. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

When these are posted on Shapeways, they will be ordered on sight.

Thanks for the hard work Knoted.

• Like Like x 2