Minor/Repaint: G1 Style Move Ironhide

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by anikenvader, Mar 11, 2010.

1. anikenvader

anikenvader Stuff & Things

News Credits:
    Thanks for checking out my first custom! :D  now all ive really done is take one of my first movie ironhides and gave him G1 color and detail as if they were to have done him in the movie with his original colors. it is not all clean, i did some dry brushing when the paint was still drying in some parts to give him a scuff look as they did in the movie. thanks so much for checking it out! let me know what ya think below! :D 

Attached Files:

2. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

He looks great in glossy red, but you might want to clean up the sporadic smudges here and there.

3. anikenvader

News Credits:
    Haha, yeah. well i tried that but then I was just like, "eh, first one, doesnt have to be perfect." so i just left it with the scuffing. :p  but thanks for checking and the feedback! XD

4. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Pretty cool. The only thing I don't like is the red on his guns, but that's just my opinion. Other than that, really good for your fist one. Way better than mine was.

5. deceptihunter

deceptihunter sssssmmmmokin!

hey, great job! If I were you, i would use a flat red followed up with a clearcoat.

6. anikenvader

News Credits:
    haha, okkay. well thank you, hmmm, everybody will laugh. but i am new to this customizing and radicon thing, ive only done 2 complete customs and 3 other mods (ROTF Megs articulated murder arm and articulated head, Some detail and paint aps to ROTF Prime and giving Jolt an articulated head.) so i would be willing to take this guy back out and but him under the knife, well brush....again to make him look all the more better. but um, how does one do a clearcoat???? haha, ive heard of it and seen it but i have NO idea on how to do it. :p  apolagies for my ignerance.

7. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

OK, let me see. First off, you have a good concept here. My first custom was a red repaint of ROTF Ironhide. However looking at what you've got here I want to offer some pointers I've learned since then.
    One of the most important rules I learned, was patience! You have to take your time on these. This leads me to prep work. Things like taping window, taking parts off, and, removing factory paint apps. Things like this may seems tedious, but they pay off huge! You don't have to be the best customizer out there, but you should always put your best into every piece.

Here are some links that I know will help you with not only painting, but photography.
    1. Jin Saotome's Basic Guide to Painting Transformers
    2. My tutorial on basic photo shooting.

As for your question about clear coats. Krylon and Testors both make a variety of them. They come in spray cans, so they are easy to use. Krylon, you can find at Wal-Mart, Testors, you'll have to hit the hobby shop. Best of luck, and keep it up!

8. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

great first custom man, ya those links that Hotwire gave you are really good starters on how to do transformer customs.. i literally read Jin Saotome's guide religiously wen i first started doing customs lol..

clear coat will protect ur paint jobs and also if u choose to use a glossy/matt/satin finish, will give it a nice overall look...

mind me asking wat kind of paints are u using anyway.. as in brand?

9. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    Good stuff! I like the gold details!

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Looks beautiful man. Maybe it's just me but Ive had hell finding a good red that looks that good. Ive had better luck with model master's 'guard red' enamel than any Testors red enamels Ive used.
    (resorted to model masters for large areas & testors for details)

11. Bumblebee92

Bumblebee92 Wheeljack Fan

This is good for a first custom and i agree with everything hotwire has said keep at it.

12. anikenvader

News Credits:
    oh wow, haha, thanks! man, i idol your work! than kyou so muh for the comment! and i used regular red testors. its just $1.30 enamel paint. and yeah, how do i do a clear coat? lol, sorry.