Heavy/Scratch: G1 style "Classics" W.I.P. Beachcomber

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Budokhan, May 25, 2011.

1. Budokhan

Budokhan Wheeljack's apprentice

Hey Gang!

So I picked up DOTM Sandstorm the other day & as I was looking at him it dawned on me...BEACHCOMBER!! This is one poor Hippie-bot that doesn't seem to get a lot of love so I figured, while I'm waiting for parts I need to come thru the mail for my custom Arcee, Id start a fun little side project. Hope others have thought of this too, he's proving to be fun to work on!! :D 

So here's just a quick little teaser to show where I am so far with him. If anyone has any ideas for things I could do to make him cooler or ideas on transformation related issues, please, Fire away!

The laundry list:

Autobot "BEACHCOMBER"
    (Base figure D.O.T.M. Sandstorm)

1- Re-sculpted head using Cybertron Red-Alert/ All-spark Crankcase Head as a base. Install LED lit lite-pipe for Visor ( Blue or Amber LED, not sure which to go with yet) Head design to be based off the IDW Official Guidebook artwork, Volume1, Page 21

2- Re-sculpted feet ( flatter, more G1 style)

3-Extendable torso piece ( between waist & upper torso ) to give better proportions to fit in with "Classics" lineup

4- Added "Hip Plates' to match G1 style art

5- Reworked detail in chest plate to more accurately reflect G1 style figure

6- Added "Mesh" vents on outside of forearms to reflect G1 style figure

7- Weapon that transforms between Energy rifle & metal detector

8- New Hands

9- Added details to dashboard ( ie instruments, vents, reworked steering wheel etc...)

10- Fill "voids" with Apoxie sculpt

11- Replace lenses with clear plastic lenses from model cars (?)

12- Bas-relief style autobot logo on hood

13- Simplified & Extended leg armor. Also,smooth them down so that during vehicle mode they have clearance from hitting the surface

14- Add round "engine pod cover thingies" on rear deck to more accurately reflect G1 style figure

15- Reposition front headlamp housings & create new positionable mounting brackets to more accurately reflect G1 style figure

16- Paint job to be G1 Blue accurate but with "nicks" in paint & maybe some dirt splashed up along his sides in vehicle mode

17- Reworked Driver figure to be made into Hippie dude!

18- Surfboards w/roll bar mounted rack ( Big one for BC, little one for Hippie dude). This idea courtesy of the Awesome STRATONRYE based on his finding the cover of "TF-ALL HAIL MEGATRON # 16"

Hope you guys like 'im so far!

Cheers!
    ~BK

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      558 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      643.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      627.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      615.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      658.9 KB
      Views:
  2. 6leo

6leo Well-Known Member

Its realy delicate

3. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Wow this is going to be one of the best BC's ever! That head is awesome!

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm not going to be buying very many of the DOTM toys, but I did pick this up at Target last weekend. I'm really digging these HA scouts and can totally see Beachcbomer coming out of this.

Any plans on casting on a non-LED version of the head?

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I think a lot of people probably had this idea; I did, but since I already have a bunch of stuff in the works I lost interest and took it back.

Besides, after looking at yours, there aint no way mine would be even half as good.

Nice job!

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Question: what are you gonna do with the human that came with it?

7. Budokhan

He is so far!

Thanks man! & the heads not even finished yet! :thumbs2: 

I hear ya on the DOTM toys, just not feelin it very much this go-round ya know? But yeah, the HA scout figs are proving to be really fun to mod...Got the Icepick fig too ( still trying to figure out what I can do with him)

As far as casting up the head when finished, I might if there's enuff interested folks. But I'll have to rework it so that its just a standard lite-pipe & ball jointed head first!:D 

I figured other folks had this idea, glad I was right! He's so easy to peg as BC its almost as tho HASBRO had this in mind from the get-go!
    An thanks for the compliments too!:thumb 

Btw, LOVE your avatar! The "meat popsicle" thing made me :lol 

Now that you mention it, it might be kinda fun to redo him to look like a Beach-bum hippie kinda guy! You know, Tye dye shirt with a peace symbol on it, shorts, sandals, scruffy face, long unkempt hair & bandana tied around his noodle! That'd be funny i think!
    Glad you brought that up, Thanks! :D 

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

The drivers are a lot cooler than I thought they'd be...so remaking the figure to fit Beachcomber's character would be awesome.

9. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

i wanted to do this too. glad to see you did an awesome job doing it. i'll be making one for sure now. if you have any alternators or binaltech is it possible to take a pic with it next to each other?

10. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Fantastic!!

11. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Dude, this is AWESOME!!! Sandstorm's dune buggy alt mode made me immediately think Beachcomber but I didn't really look at him closely enough to see his true Beachcomber potential until now. This mold is perfect for a classics-style BC. With the slight box-like shape to his limbs he's actually not even that movie-ish compared to others. The new head sculpt is really great so far.

Oh hell yes!!! Do this! It'd be the perfect sidekick for ol' BC. The only thing I can say that might add even more awesome sauce to this is that it'd be cool to find/build a surfboard to add to this set so you could recreate that exclusive convention cover from a little while back of BC going to the beach with a board under his arm. (Someone else will need to find the image cause I have no idea what the cover was for to find it myself.) I can't wait to see this guy finished.

EDIT: Found cover pic!

12. Suntzu28

Suntzu28 Well-Known Member

I remember as a kid having Beachcomber and enjoying the heck out of that little figure as well as Windcharger. To think a few decades later i can now have "Beachcomber " (Sandstorm) with a Human driver action figure to boot is just AWESOME!

13. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    MSG Hands! Fits him perfectly!

14. scottie_bee

scottie_bee Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I had the idea to do this too, I love it, now i have to get my hands on one of those heads. I also had a idea to try to make the alt mode more dunebuggy ish, by that I mean make it a little different and realistic

15. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

Love that head! It really captures Beachcomber

16. highrise

highrise ZombieApocalypse Survivor

I'm interested in a head if you cast them.

17. doomflyer

doomflyer New Member

Looks really good, cant wait til the final paint app.

18. Blurr ftw

Blurr ftw Quick draw

head looks awesome too much details in the body though

19. Budokhan

Thanks for the kind words! I have an Alternator SKIDS that I'll take some shots of later with BC & try to post 'em up later today or tomorrow! :D 

Thanks very much!

Thanks so much for the kind words, especially about the new head! And a very large THANK YOU for the awesome idea about the surfboard! You :rock  And that cover you found is great inspiration also for a photo-shoot display:D  Consider his board added to the laundry list! :thumb 

I'm truly very happy he brings back good memories for ya! If you do a custom yourself, I hope it goes really really well! :D 

They do indeed, don't they! :thumb  Gots ta love those kotobukiya aftermarket parts!

Thanks for the compliments! If you get a sandstorm & go for the mods, please keep me updated, your idea of making him look more true to a real-life dune buggy is very cool indeed! I may be making a slightly different version ( ie "non-led")of the head that will be available to sell so stay tuned...you might get your wish! :) 

Thanks very much for the compliment on his head!

Thanks! I'll make sure to keep you posted concerning that!

Thanks! I cant wait to see him in all his pacifist glory either! :thumbs2: 

Thanks for the kind words about his noodle! I hear ya on the bodily details, I'm planning on changing some of those mainly on the arms an legs so that he'll better fit the CHUG/RTS lineup!

Cheers!

~BK

20. Budokhan

Hey gang!

Just wanted to ask any of you guys an gals if someone might have a Junker Classics SEEKER with a leg ( doesn't matter if its left or right ) that they could part with? I'm planning on using the sliding leg/knee gimmick as the basis for the added "extendable" mid-torso for BC & don't have any extras to use.
    I'd be happy to fire some greenbacks atcha for the leg & shipping costs! Lemme know?

Thanks all! :) 

~BK