G1 stickers - love or loathe 'em?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hook, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    So, what's your take on the sticker sheet that comes with most G1 originals and reissues? Heck, even Reprolabels for that matter?

Do you apply all of them? Leave the sticker sheet untouched? Apply select ones and leave the rest on the sheet?

I apply my stickers... Eventually. See, some G1 figures have a crazy amount of stickers which makes me go ugh. Don't get me wrong, I loves me some G1 sticker action, mostly for the nostalgia trip, but I don't always feel like spending half an hour painstakingly applying stickers with a pair of tweezers.

Instead, I keep them for a rainy day. Case in point, I'm in no mood to work right now and I am off in about an hours, so I'm killing time by applying stickers on the Takara bookstyle Insecticons reissues. Most of my TFC and Encore reissues have unapplied stickers, so whenever I feel like it, I crack open a G1 box and apply some stickers.

How about you guys?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I hate them, but only because I absolutely suck at applying stickers. You have no idea how many times I have come to grief, positioning and repositioning those damned things.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind the stickers. When I got encore Jazz I applied all of them.

4. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I don't apply stickers to G1s, but I do love getting reprolabels and applying them.

5. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was never a fan of the stickers. I do think they look cool when properly applied, but I am terrible at applying them. I used to give the TF toys to someone else to apply the stickers for me. I'm happy with the newer "pre-applied" stickers TF toys.

6. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Sometimes I don't like having to do them, but I like them and I'm always glad I put them on once I'm done

7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i like them, the amount of detail they add can't be matched by paint apps

8. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I love them. I was genuinely disappointed when my reissue Perceptor came with the stickers applied. It kinda felt like part of the 'experience' had been taken away.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I hate stickers. Fun to apply, but a lifetime of regret as they sit on the toy funny, start to come up at the edges, glue dries up, they eventually peel, etc.

It's one thing most vintage G1 figures have in common: 25 years later, the stickers now look AWFUL. They are coming up (or have already fallen off), discolored or marred, the whole nine yards. So you either ignore it, or try to replace them with new stickers and prepare yourself to have to go through this again at some point down the line.

I hate the stickers.

10. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I liked them and I applied all of them, but I didn't like that they wore down or peeled off. I'd much rather have paint or tampos. I love what reprolabels does to make my figures look better and love that they are so much more durable by using vinyl over paper.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I love them, I loved how they look and kind of wish we'd see them again (yay Japanese Prime figures), and I love what Reprolabels has done.

But damn, applying them as a kid was like defusing a time bomb.

12. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm insanely good at putting on stickers and love them. When I was a kid though I made my step dad do it because he was much better than I was. I learned my sticker application technique from him.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Back in the day I loved them. I think I'd still like it if Hasbro figures had them now so we had more options to customise our figures without having to additionally pay out to Reprolabels for faction logos and the like.
    However I've never applied any of the stickers I've got with G1 reissues. Not because I don't like the stickers but because I like to keep those figures MIB and stickers unapplied.

14. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Yep, and I continue to be frustrated at the Joe collectors who continue to insist on getting stickers with their vehicles.

Paint apps are where it's at!

15. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

I am just curious by what you mean by this. Because I much prefer paint apps and think they do a much better job. I don't understand what you mean by not being able to be matched in detail.

Unless you mean cause the old G1 Stickers had so many patterns and little buttons and doo-dads and stuff? :lol  Which don't get me wrong IS cool to a point. But yeah I don't really need my Alien Robots having little buttons and patterns over them to consider them "more detailed" But if that IS what you meant then in that sense I can understand what you mean. :) 

16. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I bought some reissues Insecticons and I think I put the sticker on but i'm oft reluctant to play with items with stickers on them I prefer paint.

I sometimes used to varnish the stickers or put clear tape on the top of them to protect them if they were in an area that was going to rub during transformation or on the bottom of something's feet.

17. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, I've tended to apply them on reissues, but like vintage GI Joe vehicles, I only buy vintage TFs with the sticker sheet unapplied.

I've thought about buying repros for the few vintage TFs I've got, but never got around to it.

18. Doc Wheeljack

Doc Wheeljack Well-Known Member

Indeed! I've never liked stickers...

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Seriously.

But if it was water-slide decals, that would be another story. Those look a TON better and they are actually able to form-fit over curved surfaces if you use a decal softener.

Holy crap, would I love if TFs came on the sprues and with water-slide decals for the stuff they couldn't do paint apps for.

20. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hated the stickers on Encore reissues, they never stayed on, and I suck at applying them straight to begin with. My Encore Jetrons look ridiculous. I heard I should have wiped the figures to remove some sort of residue before stickering them afterwards.

Because of this bad experience I was very apprehensive of Japanese Prime figures, but they are great quality and stays on well. I still suck at applying them though :(