G1 Sticker removal? (yes, another one)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LifePincher, Jun 21, 2009.

1. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

I've read more than a few sticker removal threads in here that consider Alcohol 70-90% and Goo Gone.

Not trying to argue with anyone here, but I can tell you right now, Alcohol is like using water and will not cut the adhesive properties of glue.
    Is Goo Gone an oil/petroleum based product? If so, Plastic + Oil is bad.

Then again, a strong chemical like Acetone, MEK would melt the plastic.
    I'm wondering if Xylol will work. It's paint thinner for you Laymans peeps.

If Goo Gone is not oil based, I'll consider it.

2. moocow

moocow God.

Yes, Goo Gone is oil based. To remove stickers, I don't know shit about it...

3. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    grab and peel. then gently use the edge of your thumbnail to get the clumps of residue.
    at least that's what I do so at least it wont harm the figure.

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Goo Gone is a miracle. It may be oil based, but it's citrus oil, not petroleum. Use it, it won't do you wrong.

5. LifePincher

I'm actually trying to find the best chemical and use on my old G1's for sticker removal. But like you say, until then, a fingernail and water will work the best for most :thumbs2:  Don't use anything you don't know that is not proven! Oil Based= No No!

Those of you using that use that oil based stuff, I'd stop if I were you! I'm not a know it all, but when it comes to basic knowledge, oil/plastic=Bad! I do know a few things about solvents, so hang tough.

How about I try it on some of my old G1's and report back to you guys with pics? I really think Xylol will do the job without harming the plastic. Hell, If I'm willing to try a solvent most of you have never heard of, I must be right, or outright NUTTY? :lol 

I have some G1 Seacons and G1 Insecticons to do, so I'll post pics and results.

6. LifePincher

I don't know about most G1 collectors, but I wash my hands before picking any of mine up. Everyone knows about Chrome wear right? Oil/Acids from our hands ruined all our chrome :confused:  I just looked up Goo Gone and it's not going to touch my TF's, EVER!

Just trying to help you guys that don't know. Not all Google searches lead to a bright outcome.

7. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    Um, ok.

8. LifePincher

What didn't you understand?

9. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    I understood everything, do what you gotta do. In fact, I applaud you for wanting to be cautious with your collectibles. I just know Goo Gone won't hurt them and would be extremely effective in removing any sticker goo safely. Do your thing man!

10. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Alcohol works just fine. You have to rub until it begins to dry and only then does it pick up the grime.

...god forbid anyone should put a little elbow grease into their work these days...

11. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

WD-40?? I've used it on alot of my restorations for years now and have never had any bad results. Ever. In fact, in addition to very effective removal of sticker residue, it also tends to put a little bit of a shimmer/polish action on the figures. I only use a very little amount and thats sprayed very sparingly on a paper towel the wiping away the residue after reomoving as much of the stickers as I can w/ my finger nails. I have alot of very minty, beautiful g1 action, that has been on display for years, and have never had any adverse reaction to WD-40. Even my Ramjet looks absolutely crispy bright white and brand new, after getting cleaned up w/WD over 4 yrs ago. Also try spraying a little bit on a q-tip to get into those hard to reach areas. I also let my TFs dry out after being cleaned and stickers removed for about a week or 2 before I apply the new stickers. Reprolabels does amazing work!

12. Incesticon

Incesticon Beet Gugal

Peel the sticker off with your fingers then put Lighter Fluid on the sticky residue and rub it with a cue-tip. Simple. And works every time.:) 

13. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yep this exactly, it works great and not done any harm to my G1's after all plastic is made from oil so it cant destroy it!but failing that finger nail and mildly warm water does the trick

14. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Soap & warm water with an old toothbrush is how I clean off the majority of stickers.

For the tough stuff I use Goo Gone, as I've done so going on 10 years now, and haven't had a problem yet.

Lighter fluid, like Ronsonal brand, is another popular chemical used for cleaning toys too. Probably more harsh than Goo Gone so I rarely use it

15. Cyko-Destructo

Cyko-Destructo Rock-Lord

i used goof off or goo gone or something to that effect on a bonicle mask and it melted my fingerprintd into it, be careful

16. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

This! Just did this yesterday so I could put some reprolabels on my G1 Wheeljack.

17. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    If you want to remove g1 decals then use a hair dryer and tweezers heat up the sticker with the hair dryer, this should reactivate the glue. Then carefully peel the sticker off with the teezers.

18. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

alchyhol

I use the 90 or 70% alchohol, all you do is get off the majority of the sticker and goo with your finger nails, then use the alcohol on the sticker, make sure you blot it off and do not put a ton on at once.

After that you should be able to just get the goo off on the Q-tip.

19. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

peel the sticker off first then use Alcohol. works all the time for me. its the best!!!

20. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    alcohol works, i posted a thread before....

i work in a hospital, and i get those individual rubbing alcohol wipes, and after removing as much residue with my finger, the alcohol DOES cut thru the adhesive. just DO NOT use it on chrome.

maz