2D Artwork: G1 Springer

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by gdpwatson, Sep 18, 2008.

1. gdpwatson

gdpwatson Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

It seems like an age since i posted here. I guess that's in large part due to the fact that even though i visit this site everyday without fail i rarely actually post on anything. Mostly i'm happy to sit back and read what others are saying.

However i recently took a stab at drawing Generation 1 Springer and figured that nows as good a time as any to post a piccy!!

Lineart:

[​IMG]

Colours - By warned i do not colour. I cannot colour! This is only my 2nd stab at colouring a picture so be gentle!! I'm still trying to learn about colours and lighting and all of that stuff.

[​IMG]

2. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

That's actually pretty good. The only thing I would suggest is have his brown parts more of a grey/silvery colour. Other than that: solid!

3. gdpwatson

Thanks man,

The only thing i would say in response is that i haven't used any brown in this picture. Only greys, yellows and greens. It must be that the grey's are showing up as browns on your screen. Or do my grey's just look brown??

I'd be interested to hear from others on this. :) 

4. tull

tull Thrillhouse

Ebay:
    For your 2nd coloring attempt ever, that looks excellent! I wish I could do more than just use markers to color my work. :( 

I'd say all you need to do here to refine it is to make the coloring in his face a lighter shade of grey. Your line art is fantastic, and the rest of the colors you hit pretty much spot on.

5. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great job all around. :D 

6. gdpwatson

Thanks for that. I know that i still have a long way to go with my colouring, much in the same way as i've alot still to learn about doing lineart an drawing in general. However i do intend to stick at it. I never intended to really get into the colouring side of things but i found this to be alot of fun. Everything in this pic was done from things i taught myself but i have every intention of using many of the wonderful tutorials out there to try and raise my game.

However this is just a hobby for me so progress might be slow while the pressures and stresses of real life continue to tug at me!! :) 

Thanks man. That means alot. I checked out your gallery and your Classics Prime model is excellent. I know this is probably going against the general consensus but i think that Magnus' colours suit the mold better! Yikes! I'm in trouble now!! Your Magnus definitely kicks ass! By the way did you not used to do 2D art?

7. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Your style is great imo...I like the rounded look to everything (kind of like the TRU reissue box art)...the lower legs look a little big and the pelvic area a little torqued but that's not really that big a deal...

Springer is a great character and you did him justice...good job bro...

8. gdpwatson

Thanks very much. Yeah the legs are big but that was kind of deliberate. I think i had Stormbringer open at the time and subconsciously went with Don style mega calves!! The crotch area is a little twisted i agree. The centre part is thrown off by the fact that the lines at the top are at a slope when they should be more or less horizontal. This has the knock on effect of making the side panels and vent areas looking very chippy choppy!

I'm glad i did him justice though. I think he's one of the better G1 characters and gets pretty much all of the cool lines in the old animated movie!

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Very nice. I like how you drew his shoulders here. It gives him that toy silhouette that you didn't really see in the comics or cartoon.

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, nice job!

11. gdpwatson

Thank you.

When i looked at references to use i looked at stuff from the animated movie and stuff from the DW comics as well as the stuff that Don did in Stormbringer. I hated how Spinger looked in DW (especially Vol. 2 where i dunno what is going on with his shoulders) and Don's version was a completely new design bearing very little resemblance to the original. I also wasn't too happy using the animated model as a reference as it didn't match the toy enough.

In the end i just started with the toy as my main reference and took the occasional glance at Don's design to help steer things when i needed to.

In the end my attempt is more of an update of the original toy, at least that was my intention, so it means alot that you made that comment!

I'm also something of an admirer of your work too so if you can appreciate my stuff then that's an even bigger boost to my ego than i could have hoped!!

Thanks dude!!

Heh! Thanks man! Glad you like it! I really am trying to push the boat out with these types of drawings. I think that coloured artwork may be more constant coming from me than i had initially intended!!

12. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Superb job. (and Springer is my fave Autobot Triplechanger)

13. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    dude - for being new to coloring, you're doing an amazing job!!

14. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

He looks depressed, other than that, excellent.

15. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Damn good, nice clean lines.

16. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude! Great job!

17. gdpwatson

I'd have to say that he's my fav too! It's his character, he's just cool!! lol!

Thanks!

Cheers man!!

I hope to get better!

I know, not exactly in keeping with ol' happy-go-lucky Springer!! Maybe he's deep in thought thinking about some heavy stuff!

But thanks for the good words man. Always appreciated!

Thanks, although i do think that i tend to go a little to over-the-top with the thickness of some lines. However i am refining it more and more each time i draw.

Thanks Drew!! Not a patch on you but maybe one day!! That Onslaught pic you did still sends a shiver down my spine when i look at it!