G1 soundwave sticker question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tim Vader, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Tim Vader

Tim Vader Well-Known Member

OK, I bought an unused MIB Soundwave that has arrived today and I had a bit of a red flag pop up. He has the 2 red stickers applied to the "legs" of the robot. Most of what I see that are qualified do not have this, but I did run across an AFA 80Q that did have them on eBay. The tape is still solid on one side and sealed on the other, but it may have been pulled at some point in time because its not super tight like the other. I would HATE to risk opening this up and damaging the box, so I wanted to ask opinions first. I emailed the seller who is the original owner and I am waiting to hear back, but he assured me that everythng is 100% still sealed in its baggie when I purchased it.

I will get some pics this evening when I get home, but this are the ones he sent me last week when we made the deal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its a gorgeous example from what I can see, I sure hope it is what its supposed to be!

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    It's a reseal. Those stickers aren't factory applied. Also the tape on one side of your box seems far too excessive compared to the other.

It looks like a great specimen, but not exactly what you paid for it seems.

4. renken70

renken70 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was just about to say this.

5. Tim Vader

I just opened the box and I am slightly disapointed. Everything is dead mint and gorgeous, but the stickers have been applied. I am contacting the seller to resolve this now. I did not pay a fortune for it, but more than I would have knowing it was not an unused example

:( 

6. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    let us know what happens. It really does look like a great example of the toy though. I'd be tempted to say keep it if you didn't pay too extortionate a price. And get some form of part refund.

I'd be very interested to see the original listing if you have a link to it. I'd like to see exactly just how the item was descibed.

7. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. Tim Vader

That was the one I had seen. I don't know how qualified grading works though. I thought it was basically a sealed item that the tape had come loose or was cut, but if that one has the stickers applied, can this one be graded as Q?? If so, I am getting this thing cased up ASAP to prevent any damage from occurring. I swear this looks like it came off the shelf yesterday.

This was a private sale, he said everything was in the bag still taped, which I guess TECHNICALLY it was, but it was not sealed which is what I was expecting. I am VERY tempted to keep this because the box is a straight up knock out. Here are a few pics I just took a few minutes ago. Compared to prices I have seen, I definitely did not get beat up on this, I just thought it would be a totally unused example. 9 out of 10 people would be thrilled to have this in such good condition, but I thought I had scored my awesome G1 trophy with an unused Soundwave. The hunt continues, maybe I can score a nice Skywarp instead!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

and the stupid thing about those stickers is that they are supposed to go on his weapons as battery details. Someone back in 1984 f#@ked up when they took the box pics

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Not that I doubt you on this, but could you supply some source(s) on this?

11. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Its a nice piece and the box is in good shape. A tip if you are a new collector, before buying anything especially on ebay, do your research. It def. can save you money and headaches. I think you still have a nice one there.

12. Tim Vader

I talked with the seller on the phone for half an hour about the piece and how he has owned it for 27 years. He said that everything was sealed and even offered to open it to take photos (which looking back we should have done) but I told him not to since the tape was still firmly holding. IN all honesty, this could have been an item returned to the store when he was a kid for all we know. He was very affectionate for this piece and we have spoken twice since the original conversation, so I do not think he was intentionally trying to dupe me. I did send him an email this morning either requesting a refund or at very minnimum a partial refund and I would keep it. The box and toy are fantastic, and I would love to own it, but I want to own it at loose in box price, not MIB, or MISB prices

13. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^

Good for you, it's loose and not worth the money you paid.:2c: 

14. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

Oh schnap! I didn't notice this before as I have a few G1 reissue Soundwaves, but come to think of it, I have seen those particular stickers placed in both locales...on the legs and the batteries. I actually just applied the stickers to my TRU reissue and for a second I thought I f'd up. Anyhow, see the link below pulled from Seibertron. They showcase SW with the stickers on the "blaster batteries", not the the legs.

Soundwave - Encore - Toy Gallery - Photos 26 - 50

15. Tim Vader

I just spoke with the seller again and we agreed on a $100 refund. I had paid $350 for it (for those wondering) so I think I have a great piece at a fair price.

I will start my next hunt for a MIB figure again in a few weeks. Anyone got a nice skywarp FS :D 

16. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Glad you resolved it, 250 now sounds reasonable for a MIB Soundwave w/ weapon still on spruce and probably your sticker sheet is unused as well.

For sealed item, it is best to reference it with the normal/ sealed on both side AFA, instead of the Qualified AFA. If you go by with the sealed AFA Soundwave, you will see those battery stickers are always omitted on Soundwave figure.

17. Tim Vader

The stickers are used, which is the problem for that startd all of the digging, lol

I do not understand the qualified grade. Would I be able to get this one graded since the stickers are applied, but everything else is accounted for? I thought qualified simply meant that it was all 100% unused, but the tape was either cut, or it had dried and fallen off

18. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was my understand too with Qualified AFA until your case comes up.
    But then again, I'm not fully understand AFA myself. I have a one side sealed tape AFA Blaster and he got graded normally. Why he got graded was beyond me and the worst part I purchased it without really read the description thoroughly.

19. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    eh, it's not loose at all. It's mint in box, stickers applied, not mint in SEALED box. While a large differnce between the two, it's not as great as loose.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Certainly, thanks for showing how the labels can be applied using that option. However, what I'm really looking for is source evidence that documents that they should be applied there. My apologies for rabbit-trailing just a bit here - I'm just interested since it was brought up here :)