Minor/Repaint: G1 Smokescreen WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Shepard Prime, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Hey everybody. I'm finally gotten the courage to post some of the stuff I've been working on so here goes one of 'em. Hope y'all like what I've done so far. Suggestions/critiques welcome.

The skinny: I wanted a deluxe-sized, movieverse/movieverse-ish Smokescreen and repaints of movieverse Jazz don't cut it for me. One, because it has little identity of it's own and it just looks like Jazz in a different paint scheme and two, nothing about it screams Smokescreen (plus, I wanted the fold out doors with the 38 on them like in the cartoon).

He's made out of a DotM Deluxe Bumblebee. The head is the Powerlinks head off of Power Core combiner Double Clutch with the visor/eye taken out and replaced partially with clay and sculpted eyes. The intake on the hood is also clay painted over (still needs to be worked on). The drones are one each from two different Double Clutches and his head blasters are from RTS Tracks.

The only thing I haven't decided so far is which way I want to go to transform him. I like him as pictured because it's closer to his G1 bot mode but the middle of the grill is supposed to pop up to give him more guts/mid torso (see Bumblebee pics). What do you guys think is better?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And there you go. I've still got plenty of work to do, painting the robot parts, painting the inside walls like the doors, fixing miscues, solidfying the paint job (the colors aren't as solid as they should be in some places) and of course, put on the 38.

OH! And I've been debating what the color scheme should be for the drones. I thought about keeping the basic style the same, just replacing the dark blue with Smokescreen's blue tones. But I also thought maybe painting the blue Smokescreen's blue and paint most of the white red, leaving a stripe on each side. My wife suggested the former but make one blue and one red. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. micky24

micky24 Well-Known Member

i really like the color scheme. suggestion. you could cut the suppose to be heels of bumblebee and change his whole arms.or tweak it?

3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Also, I'd say flip the chest like the Bee transformation, but mod it so it looks different. Good start!

4. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Will do. I'll probably either sand the heels down or outright cut it with an exacto knife or something (I really should get the proper tools to do it instead tho'). As far as the arms go, I plan on altering them quite a bit so they're not so Bumblebee-ish. If all goes right, they should look like completely different arms when I'm done. Thanx for the encouragement.

Thanx. Maybe I could sculpt something new into it/attach an add-on to give it a different look? At least now, his chest will be lower by transforming him properly and his chest won't ride up so high and his head will be more prominent.

5. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yep, that's fun trying different things like that. It's one of the cool things about working on an original toy :thumbs2: