G1 Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What is the hose for on this figure?
    [​IMG]
    I never could figure out the reason for it. I've heard on the KO's that this hose is too short? Correct? Do I need it? Can I cut it off, or should I fix it with a heat-shrink tubing and make it longer? Plus, I noticed it's not a nice solid black rubber color.
    So, what is this for and what should I do with it?

2. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

The hose encases the wires that power the light in the gun. That's about it.
    Never heard of one being too short... And I've had a few different versions pass through my hands. All vintage, though. I guess there could be some newer knock-off where the hose limits the range of motion of the arm. Don't know as I stay away from modern knock-offs.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The hose tends to be the part that breaks due to the rubber perishing, so I'd strongly advise against cutting it or doing anything to it that might damage it - you'll put quite the dent in the value of your toy.

4. Tigertrack

Thank's guys. I'll leave it alone for now. Right now it just stay's in robot mode anyway.

5. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I've never seen a gray hose on a Shockwave. I wonder if someone tried to fix a split black hose?

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it's the ko one i think

7. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Black rubber can "whiten" but not sure what causes it. Before I worked in our quality dept. they had an issue with black rubber facepieces on firefighter masks turning white....may have something to do with the curing of it but not sure.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    He has a hose for cybertronian wet T-shirt contests. It's a sport there.

9. Tigertrack

I just noticed something interesting. The art on the front of the box depicting Shockwave, shows his laser-arm to be on his right side. Where as the toy is clearly on the left side. Did they draw the picture using a mirror or something?
    Yes, it is a KO, and I don't like how "gray" the hose is either, but not sure how to fix it. I've thought about some black heat-shrink tubing, but I wouldn't know how to get the hose off carefully enough without ruining the wires. So, it is what it is. Rest of the figure is awesome!

10. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The artist probably drew him correctly and then the image was flipped in the computer so he'd be facing the other direction.

11. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    If the hose is too short, frayed, cracked, broken or miscolored, I recommend opening the toy up and replacing the wiring with some longer wire (add anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 an inch). While you're there you can re-inforce your solder points then finish the whole thing off with some new shrink tubing. Whether it's an original, a KO, for sale or for your personal collection, I believe working electronics are worth more than non-working.

If you need help, I solder circuit boards for a living so I'd be happy to fix this for you.
    Hope that helps.
    Later

12. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

Rubber is rubber... it will discolor after time and inferior rubber will break down faster than quality rubber.

It's just like the rubber on your car tires, they start to turn gray and lose their luster. Try putting some automotive rubber protectant on the hose and it'll protect the rubber from future cracking and it will make it look black again.

I recommend a quality protectant like Meguires or Mothers.

13. Tigertrack

Thank's, I never thought about that. I'll leave it alone for a while and see how it goes. Should I remove the battery to preserve the electronics?

14. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

if its humid where you live, i'd suggest taking the batteries out, as they might corrode when there's too much humidity and damage the plastic.

15. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is true. It is humid where I live and I removed the batteries on some of my figures.