G1 Shelfwarmers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shockwave9227, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For anyone that was around during the G1 days, were there any shelfwarmers at all from the beginning to the very end of G1?

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    topspin and twin twist

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I really can't remember any, but I think that's just because I didn't pay attention back then.

4. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Stores were cleaned out of Transformers product by Christmas 1984. I saw Trailbreaker at a store 3 days after Christmas... I went home and waited for my mom to come home from work so she could give me some money. I returned the next day and Trailbreaker was gone.

The stores sat bare until about mid-feb. When the Dinobots came and went quickly, with the exception of Snarl. Dirge was seen clogging the shelves in late '85....

5. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For some weird reason Dirge. I actually remeber still seeing him up until the very end. And not just one but quite a few of em at these small shops that used to be in the area.

6. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I really CAN'T think of any to be honest. Topspin and Twintwist really DIDN'T shelfwarm in my area.

7. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

Abominus and Piranacon figs were laying around for quite a while. Some of the later cassette packs and minibots did too.

8. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Given I was born in 84, and thus it would have been at LEAST 1988 before I'd gotten old enough for the line, I'm inclined to cite the Insecticons, Dirge, Shockwave and Galvatron as "slower movers", considering I ended up getting all of them between 1988 and 1989, well after they had ceased shipping. Then again, some may have been acquired from "local stores" which didn't cycle their toys as aggressively as big time stores like Kmart did.

But I'm also hesitant to call anything a "shelfwarmer" simply because the retail environment was SO DIFFERENT from what we've become accustomed to over the past 20 years. In many cases, popular toys like Optimus Prime, Starscream, and Bumblebee would be available for YEARS, not because they didn't sell, but because they were so popular Hasbro was more inclined to keep them in retail cycle.

9. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Oh definitely. I can remember seeing them during the Pretender/Micromaster era. No wonder there's still so many of them on Ebay to this day...

10. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember seeing Dirge and neither of the other coneheads at some point It seemed interesting since they were new and different, but the other 2 weren't in the store. I may have bought one of the other ones, but I distinctly recall thinking that Dirge just looked like Thundercracker with brown paper lunchbags for wings.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Action Masters didn't fare so well, and hung on the shelves for quite a while even at discount prices.

I remember the Minibots being very plentiful, as well as most of the combiner limbs, but I imagine that's due to the price point.

12. decepticreep312

decepticreep312 Well-Known Member

Wasn't alive to experience the G1 toyline :( 

13. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    From what I've been told, shelfwarmers weren't exactly shelfwarmers back then. Stores ordered more toys based on their popularity. But Insecticons shelfwarmed pretty badly, I remember.

14. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't count Action Masters, but they definitely Shelfwarmed heavily.
    For some reason, my area had an abundance of Motormaster, but none of the other Stunticons. As a result, he was a major Shelfwarmer.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Action Masters are part of the G1 line from 1990. There's no reason to leave them out in a discussion such as this.

Now whether or not you "count" them in your own collection is a totally different discussion.

16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From a UK perspective, I'm afraid it's the Jumpstarters - and their nemesis, the Decepticon Battlechargers as well. For some reason, the Stunticon Drag Strip and the Protectobot First Aid were the big Special Team shelfwarmers, still easily available in '88/89 and everywhere!

18. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Really hard to gauge. I spent way too much time in toy stores drooling over stock in the eighties (and into the 90's), and I have to reiterate what others have said about TF distribution.

While items like Minibots and Throttlebots could be equated to 'Shelfwarmers', distribution was entirely different back then. There weren't clearly defined waves, just series corresponding to a particular year.

Nothing really stood out, but, as you could imagine, some were more popular than others.

19. mjcrow

mjcrow Well-Known Member

I remember seeing a Shockwave during Christmas 88, curse my dad for saying" It's too close to Christmas for me to get it."

20. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    At the K-Mart a couple towns over (which is still there) they had droves of Seasprays but no other minicar for years and years after he was released. Probably until 1988 or so.

Randy